Page 16 of 135 FirstFirst ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast
    similar reports on Jakes, Deep Creek and Carpenter.
    the comment about it only being sketchy with another 2ft cracks me up. that shit's basically full path. It's already sketchy!
    it's only a matter of time before we start getting actual burials with the way lots of these people are flippantly recreating in the BC these days.

The new "Observations Explorer" is pretty nice https://www.sierraavalanchecenter.or...ervations/list
    Lets you filter based on many many things.

Kirkwood was a wet mess that only got wetter as the day went on, nothing of that light pow remains. Untracked trees a nightmare of glop.

Hasn't snowed yet, windy but zilch coming down outside.

Rained all night in south lake at lake level, couple inches of new though now.

Shot from a couple days ago
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4A521EAB-A778-4F3E-B8B6-F41FFDF1BCB6.jpeg 
Views:	143 
Size:	267.2 KB 
ID:	436660

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    I'm pretty sure this is the type of set up that gave us the two paths on Trimmer back in the early 80s
    I’ve always been curious about the conditions and circumstances leading to that event for Trimmer. I believe the bowl in the Sherwins above mammoth lakes became treeless that same winter.

When I say similar set up, I mean early season storm then a big break then massive loading over the course of the winter (rather than this early I think). Can't find any info about it on the interwebz tho
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    I’ve always been curious about the conditions and circumstances leading to that event for Trimmer. I believe the bowl in the Sherwins above mammoth lakes became treeless that same winter.
    We did a Bishop Pass to Paiute Pass loop in the early 80's. Coming down from Dusy Basin and through Leconte Canyon we were scrambling over 3-4 foot diameter trees stacked 3 and 4 trees high. The opposite canyon wall had a swath of downed mature trees several hundred yards across and 2000 vertical feet from top to bottom. Wonder if that was the same year. Probably 1984.

TAHOE 22/23 -THE YEAR OF THE (t)RAM

Controlled slide crossed mountain run today. No injuries or burials.

https://twitter.com/palisadesops/sta...iDQWLnoKi_X9rg
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

Seems odd to be doing control work at 1pm in an open, central area of the resort....

Indeed

Guessing they felt it needed doing sooner rather than later; presumably there was enough snow/wind deposition after the regular morning survey to create the imminent danger for such action, and they felt they could control skier movement enough to keep the potential slide area clear, which it seems they did. I consider this a win.

Quote Originally Posted by heckacali View Post
    Seems odd to be doing control work at 1pm in an open, central area of the resort....
    Not an uncommon thing to do. Better to hold traffic and mitigate during loading, than to wait and hope you don't get an uncontrolled slide. KW regularly holds the traverse past Sentinel to do ski cut where it wind loads below Glove Rock on storm days. They perform their work, and reopen the traverse. Mammoth has closed the back of 3 to perform work off the top on storm days, to reopen again after they complete it. Its smart work IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by emcee View Post
    Kirkwood was a wet mess that only got wetter as the day went on, nothing of that light pow remains. Untracked trees a nightmare of glop.

Hasn't snowed yet, windy but zilch coming down outside.
    Maybe this rain will help alleviate that weak layer a bit. Silver linings. It seems like in most years that Tahoe starts with a PWL, we get some rain to penetrate down to it, and then a refreeze occurs and things return to more normal maritime snow pack. And now you have a solid base that won't thaw as quickly once spring arrives. Of course, easy to see this as a positive from 14,000 km away. Its always a bummer to lose that early season winter snow surface. With the low sun angle snow can stay good for weeks.

Stoked to see this thread mostly back on track. Sweet shot TahoeBC.

Was definitely a surprise to be skiing down mountain run and see a massive avalanche going across both roads. Only two ski patroll running interference on the hoard descending. One snow boarder almost skiied right into the active slide! No pictures but I'm sure there are lots. Pretty good practice skiing through a fucked up chunder field a minute after it stopped moving...

Sent from my BE2015 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnB View Post
    Any mags to Kirkwood today?
    They tweeted 6 was loading at 9:40--something this AM, when buddy at Palisades said those mountains were on pretty minimal ops all day.
    Any real folks get up KW way and get a taste?

If Y: how far to either side of 6 did they work back and open terrain?

Thanks guys
    Holy shit! Good to see ya dude. Glad to hear the fam is well. Would love to ski with ya again some time!
    ((. The joy I get from skiing...
    .))
    ((. That's worth living for.
    .))

Quote Originally Posted by lepistoir View Post
    Controlled slide crossed mountain run today. No injuries or burials.

https://twitter.com/palisadesops/sta...iDQWLnoKi_X9rg
    It was pretty damn extra. West Face slid full path.

SAC reporting some extremely spicy remote triggers: https://www.sierraavalanchecenter.or...oletariat-face

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by meter-man; 12-04-2022 at 10:37 PM.
    sproing!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1670214598.253915.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	954.8 KB 
ID:	436747
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

veeeeerrry interesting
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Maybe once Tahomewood turns into Martis Camp Deux all the richies will finally get a highway 89 tram built.
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

A highway 89 gondola w a olympic spur makes a lot of sense. Prob less expensive than some other ideas for tahoe. When JMA owned both, there was a lot of talk about a gondola from alpine to homewood. Pretty unfeasible but the roadway makes sense
    Last edited by mcski; 12-06-2022 at 11:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    Guessing they felt it needed doing sooner rather than later; presumably there was enough snow/wind deposition after the regular morning survey to create the imminent danger for such action, and they felt they could control skier movement enough to keep the potential slide area clear, which it seems they did. I consider this a win.
    Heard this morning that the 1 PM push was due to a severely delayed control start, followed by slower than usual due to difficulties moving the teams around the mountain (iced chairs, etc.).

That makes that slide s bit more concerning lol

Skied Saturday and bailed after being soaked to the core...easy 3.5 hour drive home to SF with minor chain controls over Donner.

Although conditions were much more 'wintry' on Shirley mid day Saturday, skiing down to the base from there was like going though a gas station car wash. Had fun though...a little break in the weather Saturday morning, so my 6 year old and I just lapped Resort Chair...no line, better visibility, no real complaints. Spent the last half of the day in the storm on Shirley.

Disney and Lincoln both open at SB, the steeps lookers right of Lincoln chair and the stuff beyond East Face on Disney closed, everything else open. I know SB gets more snow and is more sheltered than Palisades, but still . . .

Still skiing pretty light, because it dumped all morning.

Light skiing means ...... ??