Page 118 of 135 FirstFirst ... 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 ... LastLast
Results 2,926 to 2,950 of 3371
    Plenty to ski on both sides of the pass, just as I got back to my car today the skies opened up and it started pouring.

Imho halls isn’t worth doing anymore, better options off Carson pass, you up there with LPH the other day Mildbill?

Quote Originally Posted by Hewie View Post
    Any beta on Carson Pass conditions? Probably headed to Red Lake Pk or Stevens tomorrow. Not loving the forecast for clouds and precip though.
    Stevens today 90% of the way up skinning, skied back 95% of the way, both via Scott's trail and maxwell creek drainage (as opposed to the shoulder below comma). Most of the cool north facing chutes are discontinuous. Dropped at noon, which was too late for the bottom 75%.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeBC View Post
    Imho halls isn’t worth doing anymore, better options off Carson pass, you up there with LPH the other day Mildbill?
    No we went a couple days later.

I disagree on halls - ratio of engaging skiing to effort is still quite good as long as that choke is skiable.

Well if you boot up the chute you can pull the plug before the choke, still fun below it, guess I’m a fan of smoother snow, but once the sun cups soften enough there not bad

But smooth snow is out there if ya look around, from today
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8AAE478F-18A1-4D52-88D1-1D115246C43E.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	493.9 KB 
ID:	460165

I packed for a frontal assault of Job's peak tomorrow morning but my phone had a special weather statement and called me off. I kinda figured that was gonna happen since it has looked pretty sketch all week.

guess I’m a fan of smoother snow, but once the sun cups soften enough there not bad

Name:	8AAE478F-18A1-4D52-88D1-1D115246C43E.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	493.9 KB 
ID:	460165
    Ha, fair enough. At my size once I ski fast enough the sun cups soften regardless.

hah me too

and once I get going fast enough rainbow colored lasers come out of my ass

it’s amazing!
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastside View Post
    I packed for a frontal assault of Job's peak tomorrow morning but my phone had a special weather statement and called me off. I kinda figured that was gonna happen since it has looked pretty sketch all week.
    Seems it’s gonna stay that way till Thursday/Friday unfortunately, need a big window for that mission. Pretty gloomy this morning, called off my ski mission and just got back from a mountain bike ride

Name:	B8A508A9-1054-48BE-AAD5-1D5D2246BB6D.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	748.5 KB 
ID:	460177

Name:	1FB9CCEE-E604-4E6C-A5B1-C53E41E5F8DF.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	1.06 MB 
ID:	460178

Quote Originally Posted by mildbill. View Post
    Stevens today 90% of the way up skinning, skied back 95% of the way, both via Scott's trail and maxwell creek drainage (as opposed to the shoulder below comma). Most of the cool north facing chutes are discontinuous. Dropped at noon, which was too late for the bottom 75%.
    Thanks MB. Had a good day on Red Lake Pk today. Beat the showers, and had a nice descent at 11:00am. Still smooth turns out there if you poke around a bit.

Upper corral and connector go, they burn out quicker now that the trees are toast

Attachment 460097

Attachment 460098
    Sweet. Guess I'll head home then. Leaving in a week, tho have a few stops to make along the way. Now that that pesky snow is all gone...

Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post
    hah me too

it’s amazing!
    Thats called a flashback

Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post
    hah me too

it’s amazing!
    I know for a fact that's not true.
    But you're a lpt faster than me.

AM was mad bueno on Sunday, although I did a quasi-slide-for-life in “Chute Zero” with G2A, Sinecure, and Unpossible watching me flounder my way down on my back like a turtle caught in a slurpee. I eventually managed to arrest/stop before I glided into a rock outcropping.
    “Promised Land” was really fun later in the morning (so much so we lapped it about 6 times) in that it was an obstacle course of rocks and bushes and sweet corn.

Today I hit up the main south facing aspect of Castle Peak above the WB 80 rest area. Topped out around 10ish and the snow was creamy goodness all the way down. We were able to ski/skate back to the cars. Was kinda surprised that we were the only folks up there…
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    Sweet. Guess I'll head home then. Leaving in a week, tho have a few stops to make along the way. Now that that pesky snow is all gone...

Still plenty of skiing to be had as well as riding, skied 4 runs and rode sweet single track today

Name:	41B39554-B705-4B36-9E1B-900542D1C744.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	626.4 KB 
ID:	460252

Name:	9F45BE44-E0BE-479F-AD3A-B18D4407E1AB.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	742.2 KB 
ID:	460254

Still plenty of skiing to be had as well as riding, skied 4 runs and rode sweet single track
    DUAL SPORT DUAL SPORT DUAL SPORT!

Here’s some video from last week when I said goodbye to KT laps for the season…

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Csw55...RlODBiNWFlZA==

Yew!

Quote Originally Posted by mildbill. View Post
    DUAL SPORT DUAL SPORT DUAL SPORT!
    5th bike ski ski mission of the season, more to come….

Quote Originally Posted by skier666 View Post
    Here’s some video from last week when I said goodbye to KT laps for the season…

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Csw55...RlODBiNWFlZA==

Yew!
    FKNA right... Hell yeah!

Awesome vid, beautiful skiing.... Great turns in great places!

Maybe the funnest POV i've seen all year.

My take on the locations:

1. Diagonal Chute
    2. Sandbox
    3. Chute 75 -> Alternate
    4. Tom's Tumble
    5. Burma
    6. Rudolph's (aka First Nose Chute)
    7. Third Alternate
    8. Box Horn
    9. Red Dog?

Rudolph's was so fun all year.... Love the view of the turns in Box Horn (above the Fingers) as well.

It's also cool to see some footage of the moving fallen tree in Alternate Chute... Been loving that Chute -> Alternate line lately. That tree seems to move a couple feet every day.

Absolutely epic closing day/week/month at Squaw.

Every day I skied in May was magical... So grateful.
    Still waiting...

I'm hoping to ski this Friday at Alpine. The weather forecast looks promising other than the possibility of thunderstorms, which seem pretty common this time of year. A couple questions: I see the lifts open at 8:00. Is that a bit early or does the lack of refreezing overnight mean decent conditions early? As far as thunderstorms, I'm assuming those tend to occur later in the afternoon when they do materialize?

I'm typically an afternoon skier, but I've been going earlier and earlier each day in May.

The skiing at 8am was fabulous yesterday... That's generally when you get your fastest, most wintery turns.

If you want to ski anything facing south or east, you have to hit it really early (if at all).
    Still waiting...

jahroy - correct on all locations.

Last part of the vid was in the Red Dog spines zone that was so goddamn fun this year due to the snowpack, I had to end my PTOV season there out of respect

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    I'm hoping to ski this Friday at Alpine. The weather forecast looks promising other than the possibility of thunderstorms, which seem pretty common this time of year. A couple questions: I see the lifts open at 8:00. Is that a bit early or does the lack of refreezing overnight mean decent conditions early? As far as thunderstorms, I'm assuming those tend to occur later in the afternoon when they do materialize?
    Yes, Friday looks perfect with an overnite freeze. Maybe see you there.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    8 - 11 has been the window pretty much for the past few weeks, with some leeway here and there.

AM this past Sunday was still skiing rather well after high noon, though.

And the tour I did yesterday on the south facing slope of Castle Peak was sweet corn at 11.

The predicted thunderstorms for the past few days haven’t really panned out other than quick hits of rain, at least here in Truckee.

I have been arriving in the AM parking lot between 7:30 and 8 and on the hill between 8 and 8:15 and skiing until around noon (shorter or longer depending on who I am skiing with)…

Just make sure you’ve got a decent coat of spring wax on the bases of your sticks!

And, sadly, terrain will be considerably reduced as only Roundhouse, Summit, and TLC lifts will be running. That said, some of the stuff accessible off those lifts has been skiing well and there’s still plenty of cool lines to ride.
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Okay, good to know. Morning is probably good for me anyway. Leaves the afternoon to do others activities with the family.

Quote Originally Posted by skier666 View Post
    jahroy - correct on all locations.

Last part of the vid was in the Red Dog spines zone that was so goddamn fun this year due to the snowpack, I had to end my PTOV season there out of respect
    Every spring I say I should go in there and ski some Red Dog corn... but I never do.

With the fast new chair, there's really no excuse not to do it anymore.

Still... I was dangerously close to missing the (once in a life time) opportunity to ski those spines while SUPER fat this year.

I’m grateful a friend dragged me over there to finally check that off the list in late April (thanks, Dan!)... so filled in still.

Super cool you hiked over there to (s)end the season.

The new Red Dog chair should hopefully be a great addition for early season skiing moving forward.
    Still waiting...