Page 91 of 135 FirstFirst ... 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 ... LastLast
Results 2,251 to 2,275 of 3371
    Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Sierra Skier View Post
    Attachment 452528
    The Chutes at Rose on Saturday. Good skiing on the smoother sections of Saddle & Fuse. Coverage is amazing.
    im confused i dont see any chutes in this picture

Sierra skied much better than expected this morning. 6-8” of smooth cream cheese all over the mountain. Was enough to (mostly) pad up the crust. Super surfy and fun!

Some nice snow at AM--but you had to be on your game, which I wasn't. Especially after it was thoroughly cut up. I ate it a couple of times. Skiing the light stuff we've had most of the winter has spoiled me. I'm not the only one--place emptied out by noon.

How many GNAR points for the kook that took Jimmy King's sled for a joy ride today?

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Some nice snow at AM--but you had to be on your game, which I wasn't. Especially after it was thoroughly cut up. I ate it a couple of times. Skiing the light stuff we've had most of the winter has spoiled me. I'm not the only one--place emptied out by noon.
    Yeah, i was not a big fan either. I definitely got spoiled. It is spring and pow at this time of year is short lived, if it is good at all. It was pretty sticky out in sunny areas by noon. Bring on corn season. Hope you're okay OG.
    Fuck those fucking motherfuckers!

http://www.unofficialalpine.com

before, during, and after yesterday's rain (although the after was also much higher)
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by gone2alpine View Post
    Yeah, i was not a big fan either. I definitely got spoiled. It is spring and pow at this time of year is short lived, if it is good at all. It was pretty sticky out in sunny areas by noon. Bring on corn season. Hope you're okay OG.
    Shutyurwhoremouf , I’ve had some of the best pow days of my life in April. Bring it on. No jinxes

Yup. Same sentiment yesterday. Fun where it was smooth underneath. Some really tricky skiing where there was chunk and crust beneath. I wore it twice yesterday. Once getting hooked into some chunder, avi debris. Another when I dipped between trees only to find a three foot deep hole. That rung my bell. I haven't laid on the ground like that for a long time. Nothing like having your nine year old stare at you while trying to get your breath back.

Bring back the bottomless pow!!

I ski'd all over the Mt. Rose, Tamarack, and Houghton area today and found much better than expected conditions. Ski'd N,S, E and W aspects and everything ski'd really well. Travel was nice and pleasant too.

Only thing we ran in to today were snow mobiles on the north east side of Houghton which I'm pretty sure is well outside of the allowed snowmobile boundary. I'm not anti snow machine at all, just anti snow machine in the wilderness. Is it worth reporting something like this?

Closing day at Alpine will depend on how long the road remains passable.

?
    roads? we don't need no stinkin' roads.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey Schaefer View Post
    I ski'd all over the Mt. Rose, Tamarack, and Houghton area today and found much better than expected conditions. Ski'd N,S, E and W aspects and everything ski'd really well. Travel was nice and pleasant too.

Only thing we ran in to today were snow mobiles on the north east side of Houghton which I'm pretty sure is well outside of the allowed snowmobile boundary. I'm not anti snow machine at all, just anti snow machine in the wilderness. Is it worth reporting something like this?
    The ridgeline along Relay Peak to Mt. Houghton, and a line drawn from Mt. Houghton to Mt. Rose is the boundary of Mt. Rose Wilderness and snowmobiles can climb to the ridgeline, but should not descend into the bowl to the west/north as that would be entering Mt. Rose wilderness. I would consider the sleds on Mt. Houghton as you describe to be within the snowmobile area and not in wilderness. The Caltopo app shows the Mt. Rose wilderness boundary clearly.

Edit: The area you describe is not in Mt. Rose Wilderness, but the Lake Tahoe Basin Management Unit Snowmobile Guide Map is not as clear, and the north snowmobile boundary does stop somewhere where you describe. I'm not sure based on the map available:

https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE...prd3823891.pdf

I'm pretty sure snowmobiles aren't allowed in the area north of Tamarack, whether wilderness or USFS. This map is on the laketahoesnowmobilers.com site: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UW6...N1dqCx_bU/view

Quote Originally Posted by Gerome View Post
    The ridgeline along Relay Peak to Mt. Houghton, and a line drawn from Mt. Houghton to Mt. Rose is the boundary of Mt. Rose Wilderness and snowmobiles can climb to the ridgeline, but should not descend into the bowl to the west/north as that would be entering Mt. Rose wilderness. I would consider the sleds on Mt. Houghton as you describe to be within the snowmobile area and not in wilderness. The Caltopo app shows the Mt. Rose wilderness boundary clearly.

Edit: The area you describe is not in Mt. Rose Wilderness, but the Lake Tahoe Basin Management Unit Snowmobile Guide Map is not as clear, and the north snowmobile boundary does stop somewhere where you describe. I'm not sure based on the map available:

https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE...prd3823891.pdf
    I ended up just calling the Toiyabe Humbolt district ranger office down in Carson to get more info. I described where the snowmobilers were and the ranger confirmed that is outside the allowed boundary but you are correct the wilderness line runs between houghton and rose and after looking at a map they were north of that line and for sure in the wilderness. The ranger directed me to specific map for the Mt Rose area that is more specific than the map you linked to. I can't link to it since I'm a newbie on this site but you can easily find it by googling; Mt Rose OSV map. And the rangers said they often have problems in that area.

That would explain why I haven't ridden my sled north past the microwave towers. The map link teledad posted above shows the delineation accurately. The tramline to the communication tower is an obvious feature that is at the north boundary of the sled area.

Quote Originally Posted by davjr96 View Post
    Holy shit is right!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

hahahaha. Degrading quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Holy shit is right!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Lucky.

Holy fuck! Also, it's nice that homie posted this to SAC rather than just throwing up some shots for the 'gram.

What a nightmare.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

wow!

There's also this one: https://www.sierraavalanchecenter.or...wl-castle-peak
    A few minutes later, a single snowboarder descended the next gully to the west. On his 3rd or 4th turn, he triggered an avalanche. It pulled the gully 6-8" deep, size D1.5. He managed to avoid being caught and rode on the bed surface to the bottom. [...] We spoke with the snowboarder as he skinned out past us and discussed our snowpit results. Shortly after that we watched him attempt to descend the slope nearest our test pits. He triggered this slope on his first turn, a small D1 avalanche that failed on the same surface hoar layer. We were able to easily access the crown of this avalanche to investigate it. This was a small slope that we had considered skiing prior to observing the natural avalanche. The snowboarder who triggered the avalanche stated he didn't think it was steep enough to slide, and we measured the slope to be 32 degrees at the steepest point.

Looking at the observations page on SAC, monday was really active. Will be curious to know about how widespread the SH is distributed and if it’ll persist….

Yeah. Persistent grains can persist for a long time under the right conditions. Forecast calls for cold temps above 7500' into next week. That's not going to help destroy that layer. A couple inches here and there then a foot of new snow isn't either. Seems locally patchy but regionally widespread, with a avalanches on Castle, the west shore, and Roundtop. The large SH I saw on Friday was patchy in it's locations. But that was Friday and it had a few more days to breakdown and or form before Sunday night's snow, so who knows if that's the same stuff. Exciting times with a changing snow pack. Old timers say it was much simpler/ more stable back in the day.

Sent from my BE2015 using Tapatalk

Anyone notice the cute little avalanche that came down a narrow gully through the trees opposite the entrance to Alpine Meadow Rd.? It didn't make it to the road; stpped a few yards away by a small rise. Of course there has been a history of slides hitting 89 but I haven't seen this one before.