Page 5 of 135 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

TAHOE 22/23 -THE YEAR OF THE (t)RAM

Re group lessons… Anyone else remember when Northstar had FREE group lessons (only 45 minutes, not for beginners), meet ar noon top of Comstock?

With our kid, we had good luck at China Peak, of all places. Very reasonable cost, typically a group of 3, and we got a great instructor who we kept coming back to. (Note that this was about a decade ago.)

Rumor of Shane's Valley opening this week...

*let's get the rumor started.
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

Just showing up to make sure I get marked as present on the attendance sheet

I hear it might sprinkle this week.

Quote Originally Posted by lepistoir View Post
    Rumor of Shane's Valley opening this week...
    I heard the same from a guy who works over there.
    "The mind, once expanded to the dimensions of larger ideas, never returns to its original size."

We should be expecting a lot of openings by next weekend. Skied Rose today and there is plenty of coverage on Kit Carson and Ponderosa to open those. Heavenly above east peak looks awesome. Kirkwood has race course ready to go. And this is all before we get 2-4' over the next couple days
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Underperforming so far. 2" in KB at 6300' and barely snowing. Fx says there may even be a break in the snow later today. Chains Alta to Nevada tho so at least cold and continuing precip for the time being. SB and OV cams look less than impressive too.

Some of us are powdorks. I'm definitely a skintrack dork, but some guy made a 40-page manual about the best skintrack: https://www.wildsnow.com/32769/the-a...ing-a-skinner/

TL;DR, the best skintrack keeps a consistent angle, keeps the angle reasonable, minimizes kick turns, as well as avoids objective hazards (in theory). In reality, it's the best balance of all these variables to best suit the conditions and the makeup of your group. IMHO, your skintrack should be made with a second lap in mind and this benefits all those coming behind you. You often follow another person's skinner so if we all thought about setting the track as a community effort, we would all benefit. Also, your dog poops. Pick up some poop. It's almost always within a 1/4 mile of the trailhead. Just be ready. Bag it and grab it on the way out, or at least shovel it way off to the side. ❤️
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

Quote Originally Posted by lepistoir View Post
    TL;DR, the best skintrack keeps a consistent angle, keeps the angle reasonable, minimizes kick turns, as well as avoids objective hazards (in theory). In reality, it's the best balance of all these variables to best suit the conditions and the makeup of your group. IMHO, your skintrack should be made with a second lap in mind and this benefits all those coming behind you. You often follow another person's skinner so if we all thought about setting the track as a community effort, we would all benefit. Also, your dog poops. Pick up some poop. It's almost always within a 1/4 mile of the trailhead. Just be ready. Bag it and grab it on the way out, or at least shovel it way off to the side. ❤️
    Pretty sure I learned proper form to set risers to max and then blast up as steep as you can hold, come what may for the person behind you or when conditions ice up. If someone can't hang, they should start their own track

Quote Originally Posted by emcee View Post
    Pretty sure I learned proper form to set risers to max and then blast up as steep as you can hold, come what may for the person behind you or when conditions ice up. If someone can't hang, they should start their own track
    When you’re breaking trail in 3 feet of snow, it’s all about the fewest number of steps to the top.
    No kick turns
    No mercy

Maybe 3 inches in central Truckee under bright blue skies. Where's my hype at?!?

Allegretto says to CTFO

Monday is the classic cold front way ahead of the main low setup that we see a lot. People call the storm a dud after the cold front moves through and the sun comes out, and then we get buried with snow as the cold low moves through the region starting 12 hours later.
    https://opensnow.com/dailysnow/tahoe/post/27003
    ((. The joy I get from skiing...
    .))
    ((. That's worth living for.
    .))

Gman is offline Mack Master William Large
    Quote Originally Posted by Bozo T. Clown View Post
    Then you don't want one-off lessons. You want

https://www.palisadestahoe.com/plan-...k-ski-programs

or https://www.palisadestahoe.com/event...shooting-stars

or https://www.palisadestahoe.com/event...untain-rangers

Or if you need flexibility, at least https://www.palisadestahoe.com/plan-...ackages/take-4

Most of the camps are sold out, and I can't tell about the miniature teams. However...

If you're willing to commit to some minimum number of days teaching they'd probably sign you right up. Based on your experience wrangling 4 year olds, and xx years skiing, not to mention over 2K posts on TGR.
    We're weekend warriors at this point so the four pack of lessons may be our best bet for now. Thanks for the beta

Checking in.

Lessons are expensive AF. Actually sort of tempted to get a Sunday job at Sugar Bowl ski school for free/cheap kid lessons for mine. Been awhile since I had that job.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Chilling.

Rose opens Friday

Quote Originally Posted by thefrush View Post
    I'm confused. Isn't it CTFD?

Anyway, I think the gist is to ski the snow we did get rather than complain about the snow we haven't gotten yet. About 7" in the hood
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    I'm confused. Isn't it CTFD?
    ((. The joy I get from skiing...
    .))
    ((. That's worth living for.
    .))

I wasn't complaining, posting up a measurement for those who may be interested.

I got about 5 inches last night. Looking at the forecast for the next 2 days looks like it still adds up to the 1-2 feet at lake level the NWS has been predicting all along. NWS does drama to try and keep people off the roads, which is fine with me. Likewise the local news. What I would really really like tomorrow is a an unexpected huge storm big enough to force election coverage off the air. An early opening would be nice so I can stop doing these goddamn leg blasters and just ski myself into shape on the WROD.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    I got about 5 inches last night.
    Slow pitch...
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    We should be expecting a lot of openings by next weekend. Skied Rose today and there is plenty of coverage on Kit Carson and Ponderosa to open those. Heavenly above east peak looks awesome. Kirkwood has race course ready to go. And this is all before we get 2-4' over the next couple days
    KW may have RC ready to go but would be shocked to a state is VR actually opened terrain as it was ready instead of waiting for their regularly scheduled opening in December as that would go against years of precedent they have set. But then again, it will likely happen this year, because, sacrifices...

Well yay! Seems like it's been many years since we had good snows in November.

My knee is still a bit sour from my blow out last year but really looking forward to skiing again and getting back in the saddle.. Hope everybody has a great season. Except you of course Ottime, your sacrifice is noted!

Quote Originally Posted by splitter View Post
    Rose opens Friday
    I think this needs repeating

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using TGR Forums mobile app

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

I take this as confirmation of the under on this storm:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot (2).png 
Views:	128 
Size:	947.8 KB 
ID:	432846

If we're supposed to get 2-3' from Monday night to Wed morning, this cam should not be able to see the rising sun. People love to read a lot into statements like this, but they are only avoiding the fact that the hype train never runs on time. (It runs on hope and shattered dreams).

Still looks likely we're skiing now, with temps supposed to stay cold. I rooted for a nice big dump because these early seasons that start well but only get to the edge of "good to go with one more storm" and then it stops for 2+ weeks really put me on edge. Well, a chance for gratitude practice and detuning the rock skis.

It was absolutely shitting rain down in the east bay early this morning.