Page 49 of 135 FirstFirst ... 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,225 of 3371
    Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    It's already been an epic season afaic, not that I would complain if we keep getting more. Like last night--a foot overnight, nice and cold, but with just enough body to float, nice and colld, blue skis in the morning, not so much snow that it takes too long to get things open.

(Any tourists at AM looking for groomers must have been disappointed--I think there were maybe 3 and none off summit.)
    It needs to be at least 600" to be epic, but Reno having too much snow to operate and me needing to use GPS to find houses I have been to many times before in Alpine Meadows is a good start.
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

Wow. Just wow.
    Was the best day for me in more than just this year
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Headed up to OV/AM this weekend, any opinions of whether to bring a ~105mm underfoot ski or a Wildcat (118mm)? Only have room for one in the ski bag…

The “new” West Bowl S@T is so fun. Nobody there today. What a shame. The feds from forest service are also there today to authorize more money.

Quote Originally Posted by mookieman View Post
    Headed up to OV/AM this weekend, any opinions of whether to bring a ~105mm underfoot ski or a Wildcat (118mm)? Only have room for one in the ski bag…
    Pretty much everything opened after today's ~foot of fresh and no fresh snow on the horizon, so you probably won't need 118mm width. I'd go with 105.

Agreed with powdork, today was glorious! Those cold smaller storms are pretty ideal. Enough snow to refresh everything but not so much that there are operational delays. OV/AM opened wall-to-wall so good snow was to be found everywhere with pretty much no lines. Glorious sunshine too. These are the days we live for.

Hearing about a avalanche on the Minden mile today, one guy with a punctured lung and broken ribs

^^ Dang. I set off a small slide at the entrance to Pipeline today in Killebrew and went for a little ride myself. First time I've ever had my feet swept out from under me, luckily it was pretty minor and had already slid below where I triggered it but I should have been more careful. Killebrew was holding the goods though. Went back for 2nds and 3rds with a bit more caution.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1324.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	1.76 MB 
ID:	443425

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeBC View Post
    Hearing about a avalanche on the Minden mile today, one guy with a punctured lung and broken ribs
    This one?

https://www.sierraavalanchecenter.or...27/jobs-sister

Report mentions skier triggered, no burials.

Quote Originally Posted by lepistoir View Post
    It needs to be at least 600" to be epic, but Reno having too much snow to operate and me needing to use GPS to find houses I have been to many times before in Alpine Meadows is a good start.
    I guess I measure epic by the number of great skiing days, not the total amount of snow. Once there's enough coverage the frequency and quality of fresh snow matters a lot more than the season amount.

Quote Originally Posted by splitter View Post
    This one?

https://www.sierraavalanchecenter.or...27/jobs-sister

Report mentions skier triggered, no burials.
    Doesn't sound like it (Jobs Sister is a little ways away). That report is weird anyway. The pin placed is on Jobs not Jobs Sister and nowhere near a NE slope or any 3,000' runs. Jobs Sister does have a 3,000' gully heading down to Jobs Peak trailhead I think it's Centerville Chute and I think TahoeBC has skied it.
    Given that and MashedPotatoes account I'd say things on the SE shore are considerably touchier than the rest of the forecast area (already considerable). Hope the injured rider is doing well.

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    The “new” West Bowl S@T is so fun. Nobody there today. What a shame. The feds from forest service are also there today to authorize more money.
    Agreed…was up there Tuesday. So fucking good! It feels like it has triple the skiable terrain. Wonder if it will get some legit wind buff with the trees gone?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1674181356.006535.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	278.0 KB 
ID:	443435

My Powderhorn center punch from Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    Doesn't sound like it (Jobs Sister is a little ways away). That report is weird anyway. The pin placed is on Jobs not Jobs Sister and nowhere near a NE slope or any 3,000' runs. Jobs Sister does have a 3,000' gully heading down to Jobs Peak trailhead I think it's Centerville Chute and I think TahoeBC has skied it.
    Given that and MashedPotatoes account I'd say things on the SE shore are considerably touchier than the rest of the forecast area (already considerable). Hope the injured rider is doing well.

Pretty sure 3000' is the length of the slide, not the vert.
    Anyone know if there is any parking on the west shore? This quote doesn't exactly make it clear (hike in from where?). Is DL Bliss allowing parking by the main entrance like they did a few years back?
    "As of 1/18, California State Parks is asking the public not to park on Hwy 89 south of the Rubicon Bay area. Cal Trans has two blowers down. Hwy 89 from D.L. Bliss State Park to One Ring Road is no wider than one lane with no plowed parking turnouts. Please let Cal Trans and State Park staff get ahead of this situation. Do your part and get dropped off, hike in, or go elsewhere. Thank you for your cooperation in advance - CA State Parks."
    “I really lack the words to compliment myself today.” - Alberto Tomba

yikes. Only obvious mags that come to mind is gimpy and Jaytee although is gimpy in town and not posting or out of town?

Yikes is right.

Quote Originally Posted by MashedPotatoes View Post
    Epic Kirkwood backside day. Jeez it was good out there today.

Attachment 443246

Tremans is my favorite Kirkwood straightline. So fun, it's been a few years since it was filled in enough (for me).
    Attachment 443247

Here's Ian off the Hamburger in Palisades yesterday
    Attachment 443248
    You are killing me man. Wish I was out there making laps with ya.

I also miss skiing with Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm...pow! View Post
    Pretty sure 3000' is the length of the slide, not the vert.
    Anyone know if there is any parking on the west shore? This quote doesn't exactly make it clear (hike in from where?). Is DL Bliss allowing parking by the main entrance like they did a few years back?
    "As of 1/18, California State Parks is asking the public not to park on Hwy 89 south of the Rubicon Bay area. Cal Trans has two blowers down. Hwy 89 from D.L. Bliss State Park to One Ring Road is no wider than one lane with no plowed parking turnouts. Please let Cal Trans and State Park staff get ahead of this situation. Do your part and get dropped off, hike in, or go elsewhere. Thank you for your cooperation in advance - CA State Parks."
    the 3,000 number still applies either way in terms of there is only one slope that matches the description on Job's Sister (there is a similar one on Jobs). Either way it's definitely now a different slide based on the report above.

I haven't been south recently but based on the notice coming from Ca State Parks I'd say no right now, but yes when (if) they get everything back to normal. Sounds like there is some parking at Rubicon, but if that's as far as you can go I'd bet it's a cluster

Speaking of Emerald bay being closed, I can't drive to the south shore to get a hair cut. Is there any place on the north shore that isn't a wedding salon or resembles something like Locals Choice or Just Cuts? SuperCuts is toast apparently. The Loft Barber shop isn't accepting new clients

I mentioned before, today was a good day.

Nice homeboy sesh

yikes. Only obvious mags that come to mind is gimpy and Jaytee although is gimpy in town and not posting or out of town?
    I was skiing Tallac with JT, I have the name of one of the injured, do not know the person.

Mixed reports though might have happened above cold creek somewhere between the beach and rattlesnake, often routes used to access the mile or porcupine

Edit to add: Confirmed it was in rattlesnake

Also that jobs sister report based on the pin was the Fay Luther chutes near jobs peak

http://southtahoenow.com/story/01/19...eez2Lo-w8NBvno
    Last edited by TahoeBC; 01-19-2023 at 11:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mookieman View Post
    Wicked witch of the East opened the broom closet. Everything could be windpacked and you'll want the 70s. See what folks say about tomorrow's conditions.

Vets is offline Orange Mocha Frappuccino!
    the 3,000 number still applies either way in terms of there is only one slope that matches the description on Job's Sister (there is a similar one on Jobs). Either way it's definitely now a different slide based on the report above.

I haven't been south recently but based on the notice coming from Ca State Parks I'd say no right now, but yes when (if) they get everything back to normal. Sounds like there is some parking at Rubicon, but if that's as far as you can go I'd bet it's a cluster

Speaking of Emerald bay being closed, I can't drive to the south shore to get a hair cut. Is there any place on the north shore that isn't a wedding salon or resembles something like Locals Choice or Just Cuts? SuperCuts is toast apparently. The Loft Barber shop isn't accepting new clients

Quote Originally Posted by LongShortLong View Post
    Wicked witch of the East opened the broom closet. Everything could be windpacked and you'll want the 70s. See what folks say about tomorrow's conditions.
    Lotta wind holds today--even SB, which does it the least. OTOH, if Summit at SB runs tomorrow that could be the best snow around here. Or hike it.
    Watch out for the flying monkeys.

...Speaking of Emerald bay being closed, I can't drive to the south shore to get a hair cut. Is there any place on the north shore that isn't a wedding salon or resembles something like Locals Choice or Just Cuts? SuperCuts is toast apparently. The Loft Barber shop isn't accepting new clients
    Call Debra. She moved out of her old single chair salon and works out of her house now, so the address is not accurate any more.

Re avalanche in Heavenly side country, sounds like two partial burials...
    The accident on donner summit... Sounds like they were skiing above the heart chute the and snow surface had a breakable crust. Woman fell through the choke. Yikers
    Sent from my BE2015 using Tapatalk

Apparently there’s three crashes on 89 between Olympic Valley and Tahoe City. Thinking about going back to 267 to go the super long route home

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums