Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    Wait ..... is the Liver donation Chapter 2?!?!? I thought the chapters were just follow ups on the Kidney drop off, but this is taking on a whole new level of ...... something. Looking forward to chapters 3 and 4!!! Is this the new Tik Tok challenge to see how close we can get to the absolute minimum essential organ complement necessary for skiing switch ........?
    Yeah don't worry I was originally going to do part 2 about recovering from kidders in the hospital and part 3 and 4 about liver donation but I got hella busy before surgery so I will work on them later.

I'm now 30 hours post op and I feel amazing. Still waiting for the other shoe to drop though. I've walked easily 40 times around the floor and my goal will be to hit 50 by the end of the day.

Everyone says that right lobe is way, way, worse than kidney but so far that hasn't been my experience. Of course n=<100 of people who can authoritatively speak to both, so that's a pretty small sample.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    Everyone says that right lobe is way, way, worse than kidney but so far that hasn't been my experience. Of course n=<100 of people who can authoritatively speak to both, so that's a pretty small sample.
    You answered my question of who "everyone" was before I could even ask it.

Holy shit I got distracted by the butt sharpies and didn't realize you were going for round 2 with the liver. Muchos Gracias from the father of a heart transplant - my daughter 27 yo received her heart at 4 days old. Through the transplant community we've met many living and families of dead donors and am still blown away. Heal up soon, for the rest of us pussies remember to register and talk to your loved ones

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    What they really love is signing casts
    A woman who can sign your cast using the sharpie while it's still in her butt is a keeper.

Fact.

ORGAN DONATION: A FOUR PART TRIP REPORT NSFW

This thread has made me get an appointment to donate blood again. I fell off the wagon when I moved and the Red Cross didn’t have any donation stations here but I found another organization that does. Silly that this little change caused me to go from regularly donating to not donating for 5 years.

I can’t say I think I’ll ever have the stones to give up a kidney or other major organ unless I knew the person.

Related to this topic. Should it be legal to pay TGapp for his kidney?

https://www.intelligencesquaredus.or...uman-organs/#/

There was another podcast, I think done by one of the freakonomics guys but I can’t find it, arguing the US government should just set a price of $250,000 to donors of healthy kidneys as it was far cheaper than how they are currently treated and $250,000 is enough that exploitation is less of a concern.

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    This thread has made me get an appointment to donate blood again. I fell off the wagon when I moved and the Red Cross didn’t have any donation stations here but I found another organization that does. Silly that this little change caused me to go from regularly donating to not donating for 5 years.

I can’t say I think I’ll ever have the stones to give up a kidney or other major organ unless I knew the person.

Related to this topic. Should it be legal to pay TGapp for his kidney?

https://www.intelligencesquaredus.or...uman-organs/#/

There was another podcast, I think done by one of the freakonomics guys but I can’t find it, arguing the US government should just set a price of $250,000 to donors of healthy kidneys as it was far cheaper than how they are currently treated and $250,000 is enough that exploitation is less of a concern.
    Not a fan of that idea. That leads to a slippery slope IMO. Next thing you know someone is selling organs on ebay or something. Again mega props to Tgapp.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

I cannot get behind the pay for organs game either. There are parts of the world where this is done and it’s universally people in poverty or prison.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post
    I cannot get behind the pay for organs game either. There are parts of the world where this is done and it’s universally people in poverty or prison.

Well, if they were paid $250k instead of a couple grand they wouldn't be poor anymore....

It's probably irrelevant as we'll just be growing perfectly immune-matched organs in pigs or something soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Well, if they were paid $250k instead of a couple grand they wouldn't be poor anymore....
    This is my feeling. I’m not for a “free market” for organ donation but I’d be all for a highly regulated market that incentivized donation. Also, there should be a $100,000 “life insurance” policy for organ donors if your organs can be used. I bet a lot more people would sign up to be organ donors. Not much in the way of an ethics problem there.

As cool as organ transplant technology is and how “successful” the transplants can be, there’s a lot of ethical dilemmas when you consider the bigger picture of our healthcare system.

It's probably irrelevant as we'll just be growing perfectly immune-matched organs in pigs or something soon.
    That is what I keep hoping for.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

On my way home!

Heal up, man. You will be sipping coffee and cabernet in no time. Hope to see you, soon
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

the kidney donation was plenty. the double down with the liver is next level!

healing vibes for a speedy recovery

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    On my way home!

dammit i missed my chance to bring ya goodies in the hospital
    stoked your home

go big
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    This is my feeling. I’m not for a “free market” for organ donation but I’d be all for a highly regulated market that incentivized donation. Also, there should be a $100,000 “life insurance” policy for organ donors if your organs can be used. I bet a lot more people would sign up to be organ donors. Not much in the way of an ethics problem there.
    Until someone figures they are better off dead due to the $100K insurance policy and all. Either someone kills them to collect the $100K or they do end up committing suicide to pass the $100K on to their family even. Not a million dollars or anything, but never know the number that someone would think they are better off dead...

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post

go big
    Part 5

Yes, this is the answer. And hopefully more cures for some of these diseases. The fact that there is now a cure for certain types of hepatitis means a lot fewer liver transplants and deaths from hep B and C.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Huge props for the double donation. I need to look into it

Photo dump from the last four days

Recovering reasonably well, lots of treadmill time, light hiking.

Honest question for the medical folks here, since y'all are more reliable and helpful than my transplant coordinator: am I at risk of blowing open my chest sutures from coughing?

Ugh pics won't upload for some reason and I'm too busy worried about coughing making my insides become outsides to fuck with trg right now.

Ugh pics won't upload for some reason and I'm too busy worried about coughing making my insides become outsides to fuck with trg right now.

Wow, T, not sure how I missed this. I really don’t give two fucks about bothering you to roast coffee for me any longer given you’ll toss an organ to a stranger. Modern day saint.

Oh and throw some of your liver into the donation plate as well. Truly remarkable.

Good luck w the coughing. Yikes.
    Uno mas

I’m not sure why you would be coughing so much unless they put a hole in your diaphragm

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    I’m not sure why you would be coughing so much unless they put a hole in your diaphragm

Just like coughing to clear my throat and whatever. Are my sutures strong enough for that?

Probably scariest experience of my life was coughing a few minutes ago.