Backpack question (no avy tools pocket)

So I got a great deal on an Osprey Variant 52 and in all my reading and research, somehow managed to miss the fact that there is no dedicated avy tool pocket. I’m just curious as to what you guys do who have a pack with a similar issue or what mods/hacks you’ve created. At the moment it seems like the probe is the only thing I can’t safely and solidly attach to the outside.

Thanks in advance for any tips or suggestions. I really like the pack and would like to make it work rather than buy a new pack.
    Magic Mountain Freeride Team...bringing your grom's game to the next level.

The only ski you'll ever need...http://worthskis.com/skis/the-magic/

"Errare Humanum Est"

Quote Originally Posted by njfreeskier View Post
    So I got a great deal on an Osprey Variant 52 and in all my reading and research, somehow managed to miss the fact that there is no dedicated avy tool pocket. I’m just curious as to what you guys do who have a pack with a similar issue or what mods/hacks you’ve created. At the moment it seems like the probe is the only thing I can’t safely and solidly attach to the outside.

Thanks in advance for any tips or suggestions. I really like the pack and would like to make it work rather than buy a new pack.
    It should all be inside your pack tools pocket or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

^^^Inside your pack. Not outside where you could be apt tp lose it.^^^Make it work. Ive sewn things into and outside of packs like storage for probes, etc...things outside of packs like holsters, places for knives and tools, etc....figger it out. Then post pics.

definitely inside unless you have a bomber kangaroo pouch for shovel blade

the ultralight nerds over here had a small conversation about tool organization pouches https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...-does-it-exist

including this interesting unit https://skimo.co/camp-be-safe-pack

Put your shovel in the bottom of the pack blade down, with the flat bottom against your back. Place your probe vertical against your back on one side of the shovel and shovel handle on the other, possibly tucking these long skinny items under the curved edges of the shovel depending on the shape. Then put your biggest item (probably a sleeping bag or tent with a pack that size) that you won't access often in the bottom of the pack. This will hold the avy tools in place. When you need your avy tools them they're easy to find by sliding your hand along the inside of the back panel. To remove them, tilt the pack so the back panel faces diagonally upwards. Gravity will pull your other items away from the tools and they'll slide out easily. Do the same when you need to slide them back in.

I've have done this hundreds or maybe thousands of time. With some some practice it is no slower than using dedicated pocket.

I use the hydration sleeve in my bigger Deuter for Avy tools -> I think the Variant has one? In practice, works well for both packing and ease of access for the shovel & probe.

The trade-off is using smaller bottles while hiking (filled from a large Nalgene during breaks) but I don’t use hydration bladders when on skis. YMMV here

Bonus is that I can take my longest probe with this pack. It doesn’t fit inside of my other packs, so it stays home a lot.