Picking a new surf SUP

Looking to get a new SUP board that I can use in 2-4' surf. I've been wave SUPing about one week a year for 10 years (annual fall surf trip to San Elijo State Beach/campground, north San Diego county CA). I do alot of flat water/river SUPing the rest of the year here in CO. Been using a 10'7" all-round board (Surftech B-1), I can catch & surf waves no problem in the 1-3' range but my board is too big when it gets bigger. Plus I feel like I've maxed out what I can do with my existing board in the smaller wave range, and it's heavy as hell (33 lbs!) for hauling up and down those stairs.

I'm 6'0" 175 lbs. I'd like to be able to stand on it when not in a wave without my feet under water, but would like to be able to turn it more while surfing. Maybe a 9' or 9'6"? What volume/shape/fin arrangement?

Any advice appreciated, thanks.
    Last edited by Tele 'til You're Smelly; 10-13-2022 at 04:52 PM.

Well if you weigh 175 a board volume of around 90 liters will give you neutral buoyancy. I like a minimum of tri fin arrangement or quad plus center fin for max flexibility.

Have you looked at Kings boards?

https://www.kingspaddlesports.com/collections/surf
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by SB View Post
    Well if you weigh 175 a board volume of around 90 liters will give you neutral buoyancy. I like a minimum of tri fin arrangement or quad plus center fin for max flexibility.

Have you looked at Kings boards?

https://www.kingspaddlesports.com/collections/surf
    thanks so much- that website has the best board selector functions I've seen- super helpful!

Give them a shout. They will get you on the best board made.

Happy hunting!
    watch out for snakes

Do you want a long-board or short-board?

I would also be wary about volume calculators since volume is person and condition specific as well as varies a ton between boards. I have two 115L boards that are far different when it comes to stability. If you can find a place near where you're surfing to demo some boards (try Infinity in Dana Point) you will get a better feel of surf specific volume for you and get to try out some different boards and shapes. SUP's are expensive and mistakes in buying are costly.

Also, Craigslist in coastal areas can occasionally have some decent boards for sale.

Quote Originally Posted by topwater View Post
    Do you want a long-board or short-board?

I would also be wary about volume calculators since volume is person and condition specific as well as varies a ton between boards. I have two 115L boards that are far different when it comes to stability. If you can find a place near where you're surfing to demo some boards (try Infinity in Dana Point) you will get a better feel of surf specific volume for you and get to try out some different boards and shapes. SUP's are expensive and mistakes in buying are costly.

Also, Craigslist in coastal areas can occasionally have some decent boards for sale.
    thanks- Infinity is the other brand that's been recommended to me. I don't want to go too short, but want significantly shorter/lighter/less volume than the 10'7"/33 lbs/220 liter board I have now! Want something ideal for 2-4' surf (my usual conditions) but that won't have my feet under water when not on a wave. Now thinking something around 9' & 135 liters?

I'd make a specific trip for a demo day if there was one where maybe all the boards are at the beach/bluff- does that ever happen?