Thread: Surf Recovery

Surf Recovery

I need advice.
    Problem- 60 years old. Dont move very well. In good shape, not overweight . Shit just hurts more and much longer after a session.

Need- stretch exercise for surfing. Diet supplements good for Inflammation.

No injuries causing stiffness , just age

Oddly enough I dont hurt while surfing. Must be the cold water

You’re 60

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I've been at the doc getting my way overdue stuff done that's supposed to happen annually. I'm complaining about the exact same stuff, and more.. Kinda out of shape, more easily winded and I feel muscle aches and soreness immediately after stuff now instead of not until the next day. .

I suspect a hot tub/jacuzzi and/or massage from someone you find attractive would help but not totally resolve our problems associated with getting old..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

There comes a time for all of us when you can no longer improve, only slow the inevitable decline. 60's not there yet, unless you're genetically hosed or abused your body mercilessly when young. As you approach that tipping point, improvement/ recovery steadily takes more time and work, often with aggravating set backs, but remains possible. However, no body gets out alive.

Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    There comes a time for all of us when you can no longer improve, only slow the inevitable decline. 60's not there yet, unless you're genetically hosed or abused your body mercilessly when young. As you approach that tipping point, improvement/ recovery steadily takes more time and work, often with aggravating set backs, but remains possible. However, no body gets out alive.
    I can be fine for a year and a half of fun activates, moderate impact stuff.. then wreck my back just stepping off a curb awkwardly or bending over to tie my shoe.. 4-5 weeks of major pain.. First wrecked my back at age 17.. skiing of course...
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Im lucky so far. Nothing that keeps me from playing. I play hard in the mountains. 10-12 hour days , 6-10 miles round trips . I wont do overnighters anymore just because of the suffering but big days are fine.
    Im upping the surf game so I need to get serious about streching routines, maybe start Yoga. I am a very active old guy. Cant sit still .
    But, right now I surf for 2 -2.5 hours max. I need to be able to stay in the water at least twice that long and multiple days in a row.
    I believe I could help with diet after surf too. I dont eat bad but I dont do any supplements or "Power foods" . no protine ect.
    I do keep my stats though. 6 foot 165-170 lbs depending on if I have had too much Pizza

Try some multi vitamins

daily yoga. Works for Gerry Lopez
    27° 18°

My surf yoga poses
    thread the needle - this one is the money for me. Opens outside shoulders, lats and middle upper back
    Childs pose/puppy pose
    Childs pose with blocks under your elbows and your hands meeting behind your back. (first one here
    Lots of twists (gently) for the back
    Broken wing for pecs and shoulders. this one can hit nearly every bit of the front of shoulder and chest so another great one.

My 5 cents - cause it seems I talk too much...

At our age (I'm a decade younger) putting in a 4-5 hour session is tough. It will take a lot of conditioning, and also, as you get tired, mistakes tend to happen, which can make recovery harder.

I would suggest, if your trip allows, a 30-45 minute break in the middle of a 5+ hour session. Paddle to the boat, if you can.

Fruit smoothies are easy to digest and turn to energy for the 2nd go out. Obviously a good clean diet helps - lean protein, lots of veggies and fruits, not too many carbs, stay away from friend foods and fast foods. Minimize pizza and beer (as the list suggests).

Daily yoga as stated. I need to get back to this. Every night I find myself quickly hitting a few poses, but when I was practicing 3-6 days a week in my mid 40s I was shocked how much that helped my surfing. Strong and more endurance, but also increased stamina (which is key for surfing) and fewer mistakes - mistakes are what kills our surf strength - go over the falls, and you pay on the wipeout, and then pay getting back outside the breakers and then need to get back in position. Let the wrong wave just slip by and you are still in position for the next set.

Stretching is key after a long session. Massages can help, but better to learn how to relieve your own muscle stress. Yoga is great because you can get both stretching done and oxygen back into your system.

Keep it rolling. And you sound thin. I'm 5'9". 175# and that is less than the 185# I was when a bit fatter. Tho most of my muscle mass is in my legs these days. Need to get the shoulders/chest built back up. Not surfing in 6 months has seen that part lose a lot of strength. I can't get myself to the gym, and like I said, the yoga practices has not been online in a while.

^^^ I have watched that video a lot. I want to be like that guy. However, I can surf so the title is a bit misleading. I just need to start doing instead of watching