Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Arizona Skiing

Quote Originally Posted by Bottleman View Post
    One of the best spring days of my life was at the AZ Snowbowl. Totally legit
    Seconded. Had some of the best corn turns ever on that hike.

Would highly suggest a spring Sedona bike trip with a day stop at snowbowl on the way down/out.

"I prefer taking photos than being in them but unfortunately I'm posing in a lot of these."

As well you should be - killer content as always my man.

I’ve always wanted to bc ski the San Francisco Peaks but haven’t gotten around to it yet.

Does the snow avalanche in AZ or does it just melt first?

Quote Originally Posted by subtle plague View Post
    Looks nice, but is it better than mammoth? I don't think so.
    Is anything?

Switzerland was pretty nice I guess but the whole time I was thinking to myself, these poor Swiss folk will never know good skiing like we have at the AZ Snowbowl and Mammoth Ca. It's very sad really.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Quote Originally Posted by hatchgreenchile View Post
    <snip>
    RA13 - are there are any notable backcountry zones outside of the SF Peaks region?
    Not really. In fact, there really aren't any other *mountains* outside the SF Peaks region.

Quote Originally Posted by hatchgreenchile View Post
    Excellent content, as always.
    RA13 - are there are any notable backcountry zones outside of the SF Peaks region?
    Not really. Nothing worth going out of your way for.

Thanks everyone. It's not a bad place to ski. The ski area lacks any legit steeps though. The touring can be really good and the views of the Painted Desert and local geology make for a pretty unique experience. Still, I can't suggest that anyone forgoes a trip to the San Juans, Taos, the Teets, Wasatch etc. to ski down here. If it's on your way through though? Definitely worth a stop.
    Last edited by raisingarizona13; 10-11-2022 at 06:44 PM.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    Does the snow avalanche in AZ or does it just melt first?
    The south facing aspects can get burned off really quickly, especially during a drought season but when it dumps it freaking dumps here and yeah, slides happen. They generally happen during storm cycles and major wind events. The pack generally seals up incredibly quickly as systems move on. We usually don't have PWL's like up in Colorado or Utah. It's a very forgiving place for touring and newbies to get their toes wet.

I bet the snowpack behavior here is almost worthy of it's own designation. It's really that odd.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona13 View Post
    <snip> Still, I can't suggest that anyone forgoes a trip to the San Juans, Taos, the Teets, Wasatch etc. to ski down here. If it's on your way though? Definitely worth a stop.
    You're spot on with this advice. And should I find myself coming through during ski season, ima hit you up, man. Hell - ima hit you up if I find myself coming through during *bike* season, as it has been an AGE since I've ridden in Flag.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    You're spot on with this advice. And should I find myself coming through during ski season, ima hit you up, man. Hell - ima hit you up if I find myself coming through during *bike* season, as it has been an AGE since I've ridden in Flag.
    Fo sho! The trail system is currently getting a big upgrade. Unfortunately it's been burning quite a bit so even though some new stuff is being built we are battling post fire flooding on a bunch of trails as well. Having a beautiful sky island with a massive population just to our south has it's challenges and people kind of suck.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Fo sho! The trail system is currently getting a big upgrade. Unfortunately it's been burning quite a bit so even though some new stuff is being built we are battling post fire flooding on a bunch of trails as well. Having a beautiful sky island with a massive population just to our south has it's challenges and people kind of suck.
    Just to give you some idea... last time I rode Flag/Sedona area was 1994. Even back then there was a LOT of really good riding around.

The south facing aspects can get burned off really quickly, especially during a drought season but when it dumps it freaking dumps here and yeah, slides happen. They generally happen during storm cycles and major wind events. The pack generally seals up incredibly quickly as systems move on. We usually don't have PWL's like up in Colorado or Utah. It's a very forgiving place for touring and newbies to get their toes wet.

I bet the snowpack behavior here is almost worthy of it's own designation. It's really that odd.
    It was a joke. But that is interesting. What is the elevation? Latitude is probably close to Taos, so maybe similar, but Taos is high, like really high, man. The snow loves to slide up there.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    It was a joke. But that is interesting. What is the elevation? Latitude is probably close to Taos, so maybe similar, but Taos is high, like really high, man. The snow loves to slide up there.
    Taos is 100% continental and here it's much more southern maritime in behavior. It's a lot like the eastern Sierra I imagine. We have warmer air and that tends to stabilize things quite a bit. It's high elevation here as well but not as high as Kachina Peak I don't think. Our base area is at 9300. Summit of the chair is 11500 and Humphreys is 12650 give or take some change.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Quote Originally Posted by Brownski View Post
    Beautiful pics, RA
    Thanks Brownski. I like your lift shot more than any of mine. That shot is total soul candy man!
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Just to give you some idea... last time I rode Flag/Sedona area was 1994. Even back then there was a LOT of really good riding around.
    Got dang! I think it was good for 94 but the FS here let things go to pot since then. It was getting really bad all the while watching Sedona go full on with their trails down there.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Taos is 100% continental and here it's much more southern maritime in behavior. It's a lot like the eastern Sierra I imagine. We have warmer air and that tends to stabilize things quite a bit. It's high elevation here as well but not as high as Kachina Peak I don't think. Our base area is at 9300. Summit of the chair is 11500 and Humphreys is 12650 give or take some change.
    Whoa, that is high. Tsv is 9k at the base and 12.4k or so up top I think, so very similar, but not. Wheeler is the highest in NM and is across the street at 13k.

Skied there back in 16 on way to meet wife in Phoenix. It was icy, but fun. Dirt bag camped north of town. Will hit you up if out that way again. The southwest has a serious pull on me.

Quote Originally Posted by cat in january View Post
    Skied there back in 16 on way to meet wife in Phoenix. It was icy, but fun. Dirt bag camped north of town. Will hit you up if out that way again. The southwest has a serious pull on me.
    Do it! It gets icy fast here. We can have a killer storm and two days later you wouldn't know it happened. The sun and wind is strong in AZ. It's similar to the north east in that regard, except it's always sunny here.

The SW desert has really grabbed me at this point. There's so much to explore and the weather is freaking incredible. I even fell in love with Phoenix last winter working down there in December and January. When I met you guys in Switzerland last year I had only skied 15 or so days for the season. Every year I spend more time in the desert than on the mountain it seems. The crowding has probably played a part in that as well though.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Hey, can you folks see the pics in the 3rd and 5th posts? I can't now, that's weird.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

No. You overheated the server.

There's enough stoke in the first two to oggle for awhile though.

Really enjoyed my time at snowbowl. Easy side country access and just great vibes. First time I saw a snow bike. Cabins at base were comfy with a nice breakfast

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Quote Originally Posted by Ski220 View Post
    No. You overheated the server.

There's enough stoke in the first two to oggle for awhile though.
    Fixed it. Thanks.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Good stuff. Thanks.

Great pics. Thanks.

I skied there 32 years ago in jeans, a sweatshirt and gas station work gloves on rental gear. I was passing through with my dad and talked him into letting me ski for half a day while he read in the lodge. I froze my ass off, but the scenery was great. This was right when I was starting to hike and ski side country in Northern VT and I was inspired by the place. I've always wanted to go back better equipped.