Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Almost 13 years ago I was headed down this road. I was drinking 6-8 8% beers and about a 1/2 a bottle of vodka a day. It was mostly hidden, super deep secret solo drinking. It was horrible for every aspect of my life. Got my act together April of ‘10, and there isn’t a single aspect of my life that isn’t better.
    It was hard.
    VERY hard.
    But If lazy ‘ol me can do it, anyone can.
    Godspeed to you and yours, OG, it’s a crappy way to go for everyone involved.
    Wow. Props for sharing and even moreso for turning it around. Happy for ya.
    I still call it The Jake.

I got some sad news

OG

Condolences to all that loved her

I lost my best friend three years ago he had been dry 90 days and his body failed

He was poisoned by his liver failure

I miss him very much and I know his family is in pain

The circle remains unbroken. His dad committed suicide when he was a teen. He was told natural causes for his dad’s dearh

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Timely Twitter thread:

https://twitter.com/stilichoreads/st...jKxkUfvAGBp4hg

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1F260649-8E6E-4FBD-A57E-464D0FB76C1C.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	298.2 KB 
ID:	429692

“The alcoholic beverage industry is heavily dependent on this demographic to stay profitable -- "If the top decile somehow could be induced to curb their consumption level to that of the next lower group (the ninth decile), then total ethanol sales would fall by 60 percent."

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Vibes OG.

I have a sibling currently drinking themselves to death. Pills and who knows what else as well. Very sad. She's facing jail, lost her kids, etc etc. She doesn't care.

The disease is rampant in my family (even though I was adopted.....so nature vs. nurture?)

I'll have 12 years in Feb (Congrats Rideit!)......I'd be dead otherwise.

Yeah, WG, here’s to hoisting some non-alcoholic Pisco Sours In May!
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    If there's an existing thread where this belongs I'll move it there.

I just found out that a lovely 30 something friend of ours is in the hospital and expected to die of acute alcoholic liver failure. Not a transplant candidate because of her history of inability to stop drinking. She and her husband had a wildly successful dog boarding and training business and a daughter. She was recruited by the SPCA to assess and train shelter dogs but it was a kill shelter and she had to quit because it upset her so badly. That's when the drinking really started. I'm sure there's more to it and her father has mental illness and substance abuse. She let the business go down the drain (her husband managed the other family business) and she lost her husband and daughter. I haven't seen her in some years and I'm having a hard time reconciling what is happening to her with how she was when I last saw her. She's the daughter of my wife's oldest and dearest friend--they got their first nursing jobs together over 40 years ago. Her mom is a completely lovely person who doesn't begin to deserve the grief life has given her--besides being divorced from her very unstable husband she has a degenerative neurological disease and is wheelchair bound. Meanwhile assholes like me catch the breaks.
    That sucks.

I had a dear friend with liver failure. California would not give her a liver. She went to Florida, Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville and got one within a month.

Being extremely wealthy probably did not hurt though.

Not to steal your thread but ..... these parents (both sets) got some sad news too. I've said it before and I'll say it again - alcohol is the devil and yet as a society we celebrate it as necessary for happiness and good times.

Teen charged in fatal crash
    By Terry Murry on Wednesday, October 12th, 2022 in Columbia Basin News Columbia Basin Top Stories

WALLA WALLA – A teenage girl from Walla Walla has been formally charged with vehicular homicide after she was involved in a crash early Saturday that killed Zaley Blocklinger, 14, of Walla Walla. Blocklinger was a freshman at Walla Walla High School.

Court documents state the 17-year-old driver called dispatch and said was operating a 2022 BMW sedan and that she and Blocklinger were involved in a collision and that they had both been drinking. When law enforcement arrived, the car was upside down and approximately 200 yards from the intersection of Pikes Peak and Reser roads. A responding deputy reported cans of Mike’s Hard Lemonade were inside the vehicle.

Blocklinger was pronounced deceased at the scene as she had been thrown from the vehicle. The driver was transported to Providence St. Mary Medical Center for evaluation. At the hospital, a warrant was executed for a blood draw. The sample was taken to the Walla Walla County Sheriff’s Office and put into evidence.

On Monday, the teenage driver made her first court appearance and is currently being held in the Walla Walla County Juvenile Justice Center. She will be back in court Oct. 21 for a hearing to permit her to admit or deny the charges and to set a trial date, if appropriate.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    Not to steal your thread but ..... these parents (both sets) got some sad news too. I've said it before and I'll say it again - alcohol is the devil and yet as a society we celebrate it as necessary for happiness and good times.

By Terry Murry on Wednesday, October 12th, 2022 in Columbia Basin News Columbia Basin Top Stories

WALLA WALLA – A teenage girl from Walla Walla has been formally charged with vehicular homicide after she was involved in a crash early Saturday that killed Zaley Blocklinger, 14, of Walla Walla. Blocklinger was a freshman at Walla Walla High School.

Court documents state the 17-year-old driver called dispatch and said was operating a 2022 BMW sedan and that she and Blocklinger were involved in a collision and that they had both been drinking. When law enforcement arrived, the car was upside down and approximately 200 yards from the intersection of Pikes Peak and Reser roads. A responding deputy reported cans of Mike’s Hard Lemonade were inside the vehicle.

Blocklinger was pronounced deceased at the scene as she had been thrown from the vehicle. The driver was transported to Providence St. Mary Medical Center for evaluation. At the hospital, a warrant was executed for a blood draw. The sample was taken to the Walla Walla County Sheriff’s Office and put into evidence.

On Monday, the teenage driver made her first court appearance and is currently being held in the Walla Walla County Juvenile Justice Center. She will be back in court Oct. 21 for a hearing to permit her to admit or deny the charges and to set a trial date, if appropriate.
    Sad indeed. Not thread stealing--that's what the thread is for.
    Parents of one of our son's HS friends lost both their kids in separate car wrecks--neither alcohol related, neither their fault. I had a hard time going to that memorial. I had skied with him a couple months before. Intermediate snowboarder, we were lapping west face of KT in a storm and he covered more vertical tumbling than upright but he was having too much fun to quit.

Spoke with some folks last night who give props to ALANON for support dealing with similar sad situations.. How do you accept the unacceptable?? You can't but you can connect with other people who are going though or have gone through the same stuff with family members and close friends..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

To paraphrase Matt Damon's character in the brain dead movie, Stillwater, life is [fucking] brutal. I can't believe I watched the whole thing in order to get to that part, however, that sums it up.

Quote Originally Posted by riser4 View Post
    To paraphrase Matt Damon's character in the brain dead movie, Stillwater, life is [fucking] brutal. I can't believe I watched the whole thing in order to get to that part, however, that sums it up.
    All you have to do is watch the natural world to see that. Humans don't have the corner on that market but they do have the rights to self-inflicted pain.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post

Went to college with a kid who had a similar story. Was driving home from a high school party drunk going 100mph, wrecked and killed two people in his car, and he himself nearly died. He spent sometime in juvy and then some time in adult lockup of some sort. When he was released fully in his early 20s he finished his GED, and triple majored in chem/bio stuff in school. He is now a pediatric surgeon. I heard his recollection of that night once when we had a drunk heart-to-heart one night (he very rarely drank) and it was horrific how he described it.

My sister's ex-boyfriend was found dead in his apartment a few weeks ago. Drank himself to death. He was a nice, funny guy with a high paying job he liked as well as some social anxiety and a habit of drinking away pain that he couldn't shake even after multiple stints in rehab. My sister loved him but ended it because he was getting worse, not better.

I also drank way too much when I was younger (although mostly when I was locked in party mode) and have so many friends who teetered on the edge of self destruction and worked their way back from the edge. This shit is complicated and sad.

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    Went to college with a kid who had a similar story. Was driving home from a high school party drunk going 100mph, wrecked and killed two people in his car, and he himself nearly died. He spent sometime in juvy and then some time in adult lockup of some sort. When he was released fully in his early 20s he finished his GED, and triple majored in chem/bio stuff in school. He is now a pediatric surgeon. I heard his recollection of that night once when we had a drunk heart-to-heart one night (he very rarely drank) and it was horrific how he described it.
    I don't know how someone lives with themselves after such a thing. I don't think I could.