Autumn Surf Recs

Looking for destination recommendations. I'm landlocked in CO, so surfing = flying for me regardless of location. Nov/Dec timeframe is my window to surf most years, and a 10day+ surf vacation is something I'd like to do annually. Tried El Salvador (Sunzal) last year early Nov. Conditions were great but crowds were huge so I ended up surfing during peak heat and sun often to increase wave count (I didn't try El Zonte, probably should have). Think I'd prefer lighter crowds even if it means less optimal waves.

Season: November - December
    Duration: 2wks to a month
    Ability: Upper level beginner? I can catch waves, get down the line, and do weak cutbacks. Not great at pumping for speed yet. Last trip I was enjoying 7'3"-7'6" funshapes. I'm ok at reading waves once I've had time back in the water.

What you got?

La saladita in mex. Def a longboard wave but other waves in the area if its too easy for you.

The question is how far do you want to travel?

Quote Originally Posted by whitekingsalmon View Post
    The question is how far do you want to travel?
    My window this year will be 2wks max, so ideally something that is 1 day of travel on each end to maximize time in the water. Could be convinced to stretch that to 1.5ish days on each end if it's a can't miss spot. For something far flung like Sri Lanka, I think I'd want a month.

Thanks for the La Saladita rec. Looks like a solid option.
    Last edited by North; 10-13-2022 at 10:57 AM.

Fall and early winter is my ideal time for surf trips. We've spent plenty of time in Mex, mostly Baja but mainland as well. I love Mex, lots of advantages and relatively easy travel. It will be busy, especially around the holidays. Nothing better than a road trip down the Baja peninsula and best option to find uncrowded waves. Or, fly into Puerta Vallarta and check out Punta Mita, Sayulita, Saladita, etc

Costa Rica is another obvious choice. Playa Guiones is a fun wave for beginners and intermediates, it's a beach break that spreads out the crowds, and the food and accommodations span budget to deluxe. Hard to go wrong and I've made 4 or 5 trips back. Will also be busy around the holidays.

As stated, how far you willing to go? We had a great fall trip to France and would love to check out Portugal. And closer to home, California can be pretty epic too.

If you do decide on sri lanka contact me... I use to have a surf house in mirissa and have lots of friends there.... if headed to CR and headed deep south contact me... have a huge surf house in that place that starts with a P and the longest warm water left in the world.

Psssst, river surfing.
    watch out for snakes

If you do decide on sri lanka contact me... I use to have a surf house in mirissa and have lots of friends there.... if headed to CR and headed deep south contact me... have a huge surf house in that place that starts with a P and the longest warm water left in the world.
    Hows the internet down at P? Would love to check that place out. Been on the list for a while!

Am here now staying in dirtbag accom but wifi has been solid

Nice. Hope you are getting some waves!

Quote Originally Posted by nortonwhis View Post
    Nice. Hope you are getting some waves!
    Yeah sorta, first five days were flat as. Turned on for the weekend though, magic. If you go make sure there's a sustained swell of at least 6ft

Left field where?

Left field where?
    Caza Olas. Great listening to some of coco's stories about his family and the history of the place.

Cool our place is down the dirt rode closer to the soccer field than you are. My brother isnt there or I'd say go by and say hi. Pavones is a special place and nothing like the zoo the northern Cr beaches are.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Murian View Post
    ...Nothing better than a road trip down the Baja peninsula and best option to find uncrowded waves. Or, fly into Puerta Vallarta and check out Punta Mita, Sayulita, Saladita, etc.

Costa Rica is another obvious choice. Playa Guiones is a fun wave for beginners and intermediates, it's a beach break that spreads out the crowds, and the food and accommodations span budget to deluxe. Hard to go wrong and I've made 4 or 5 trips back. Will also be busy around the holidays.

As stated, how far you willing to go? We had a great fall trip to France and would love to check out Portugal. And closer to home, California can be pretty epic too.
    Have done a Baja drive. Amazing trip but I think I'd like more time for another. PV fly in sounds like a good option for maximizing time in the water. Appreciate the specific CR rec. PG sounds like a good scene. I've had great trips to Ventura and north. Spent last Oct in SD and couldn't believe the amount of people scrapping for the mediocre waves they were getting at the time. An adjustment for sure.

My intent with this thread was to be something of a catch all with "autumn" being the only common theme. That way it can be useful for various timespans. I'd put PV, CR, and California in the "10 days or less" category and Baja drive, Europe and beyond into the "10+ days" category. This year I'll likely be limited to the former options.

Dude, awesome offer(s) thank you. Sri Lanka is at the top of my list but not enough time this year. P's sounds amazing, and I'm a goofy foot.

Been getting bogged down lately - need to carve out some time and book something!

Sri lanka is a beautiful place... I spent a bunch of time there like 6 years ago... if you head that way you might as well fly over to the maldives.... heaven on earth.

^^^ do you know how they are faring lately? After the unrest due to lack of food and fuel? Thought of heading that way while down here, but I don't like going hungry being a fat American.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Murian View Post
    My buddy just got back from a few weeks in Portugal and had nothing bad to say. Fun waves great bread and cheese, Decent beers, and not too expensive. He stayed near the surf preserve, with ocean views form the living room. Its always been on my list of places I'd like to go for a surf trip. So much more than just waves to explore.

Quote Originally Posted by nortonwhis View Post
    La saladita in mex. Def a longboard wave but other waves in the area if its too easy for you.
    Ended up in Troncones for a wedding last week and can confirm that La Saladita is a great spot. Fun longboard wave for sure. Apparently this week is when the busy season starts. Had an amazing day of clean overhead+ sets at a break further up the coast. Now I'm itching to do another surf trip in November.