Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by FlimFlamvanHam View Post
    A modern S3 (kinda forward mount but not nuts + ample tip and tail rocker + underfoot camber + soft but not a noodle + not a twin like the S3 but a good amount of tail kick) = Volkl Blaze or Blizzard Rustler.

An S3 is nothing like an Enforcer 100 or Mantra 102. I've obviously never seen you ski but if you love your S3's in the trees you'll fucking hate an M102 in the trees, probably.
    Agree, steer clear of the m102 given your preference. The Enforcer 104 Free could work, but is much heavier and has metal, despite being a fairly easy ski. Line Sick Day 104 may be a decent choice, although I havent skiied it personally. Also Liberty Origin 101 or 106 maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by waxoff View Post
    if I were in yer shoes, I'd be strongly drawn to Praxis MVP 108, just because they seem like a perfect candidate for the job and your preferences.

Edited to add; MVP in 183 , and just for similarities I'd throw in Wildcat 108 184 in the mix!
    I’ll second the MVP 108 as a great option. Having owned the Wildcat 108 and enforcer free 104, I’d put the MVP above those for versatility, float in pow while still being a great carver. Great at releasing the tail and pivoting when you need a turn to happen.

EF 104 was a (slightly) better carver, but worse at skied out pow past the Pow Hour even though it was heavier with metal.

Wildcat was the lightest of the bunch and skied like it. Good ski though.

I have an older set of 187 MVPs that are 110 underfoot mounted with sollyfits. While there is no one ski quiver, it does a lot well, and if I was traveling light, would be a contender for the ski bag.

The Liberty Origin 106 should be near the top of the list. I haven't skied the S3 but I really enjoyed the Origin 106 and it has the characteristics you are seeking.

kc_7777 - I wouldn't disregard traditional mounts based on the M102's performance. I LOVE volkls, and as others on here would also say, a lot of them are just as nimble as more progressive-mount skis even when you mounted -10. This is based on my experience skiing the 100eight, Blaze, old katana, BMT 94 and BMT 109. The M102 did not feel like those skis, the tails were much more locked in and it was a lot less fun in steep tight terrain. The M6 mantra was better than the M102 but still not nearly as good as the other skis I mentioned. Volkl's straighter skis are better than the Blaze but they are still pretty good for the price.

Quote Originally Posted by kc_7777 View Post
    I think about mount points a lot.

Just curious what the OP’s mount point is on their S3….ie. the rec is -7cm for S3 on the 0 line…..but marks at +5cm and -2cm. So a range of -2cm to -9cm.

The OP should know what they like, where their current mount is, and then pick a 99mm ski that reflects their individual style/mount preference.
    Well, I know nothing about mount points. So I am pretty sure I am mounted on the recommended line, so probably that -7? Moved a little bit to account for existing holes...

And I don't want a 99mm ski, I plan on continuing to use the S3 unless the wider ski completely supplants them (which is fine if it does, but this exercise was to find a wider ski, not an exact replacement of the S3). FTR, and to bring closure to this thread, I just bought a MFree 108 in a 182. And plan to mount them as recommended. And see where it goes.

Thanks everyone for the input.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I'm always surprised that the same skis get recommended to tele skiiers as alpine folks. I have absolutely no experience with tele, but just watching someone do it would make me think they'd want different equipment than what I'd like in a more upright downhill boot. Especially with regards to mount point - a -2cm ski seems like a bad idea if you're going to be lunging half your body in front of your toe. But again, I have no experience. Just surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    FTR, and to bring closure to this thread, I just bought a MFree 108 in a 182. And plan to mount them as recommended. And see where it goes.

Thanks everyone for the input.
    You have chosen…wisely.
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

Quote Originally Posted by Backward_Banana View Post
    I'm always surprised that the same skis get recommended to tele skiiers as alpine folks. I have absolutely no experience with tele, but just watching someone do it would make me think they'd want different equipment than what I'd like in a more upright downhill boot. Especially with regards to mount point - a -2cm ski seems like a bad idea if you're going to be lunging half your body in front of your toe. But again, I have no experience. Just surprised.
    I'm no expert, but there used to be a different theory of telemark mounts and a notion that we wanted tele specific skis. But what most folks ultimately realized is a) the skis people liked the most were ones they also liked alpine, and b) that boot center on the line actually worked better.
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Bumping this thread to give mad props to Magnificent Unicorn, who had a buddy give him a pair of used but in good condition Rossi S3s, and he remembered this thread, and offered me the skis for the price of shipping. FKNA!

Extra bonus: they have existing holes for bindings that I already have. So while I will be riding those M-Frees when new bindings arrive, I have a backup pair of skis I know I love.

Thanks mang, they arrived today and look great!

You’re welcome. They’re drilled for a 28 TX Comp on the line. Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

There is a reason that his buddy gave away the S3’s…

But good form and blessings of karma to him.

As they say “One man’s trash is another man’s treasure”.

I gave away a pair of S3's once that were beat. I know they went to someone who was getting into tele, but I honestly can't remember who. I'm sure they had fun on them and appreciated them.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit Man View Post
    There is a reason that his buddy gave away the S3’s…

But good form and blessings of karma to him.

As they say “One man’s trash is another man’s treasure”.
    Yes, we know, you think they're trash. And I'm an idiot for enjoying skiing on them. Can you post that again just in case I didn't get it before?

I would have skied them but they’re a little soft for me, they look fun. I had just a brief thought of putting pins on them and skiing with my T3s but I’m going to do the that with some neon 180 Explosivs

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Yes, we know, you think they're trash. And I'm an idiot for enjoying skiing on them. Can you post that again just in case I didn't get it before?
    It’s just amazing to me that such a mediocre ski has such a cult following, especially when there are so many better skis around. I just don’t get it.

You pay lots of money to ski, then ski on garbage. Doesn’t make sense to me. <shrug>

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

I disagree. I spent 3 years on them. They were the first ski where I could slarve at will and then push cuffs and have no problem laying decent trenches. Both directions. Super light, super easy, super fun. I don't get the hate. Easy peazy ski. What more do you want when you are in your 40's, tele, and really don't give a shit about your skis?

I've got llasa's, explosivs, but for the last 5 years, my go to is my deathwishes, standing by my door. I don't see a reason to change that either.

I don't mind having years of fun on a civic with a MT over hundreds and hundreds of days.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

See…you pick on the “venerable S3” and the pitchforks and torches come out. It’s all a little amusing (and confusing).

Apparently there are several out there would found some joy where I found limitations and drawbacks.

I still think it’s garbage and others will still pine after their S3 days. The universe goes on.

What ski am I? Quiver of One, 100's underfoot

It’s like the S7/Soul 7, not my cup of tea but apparently people love them. If it gets people out skiing who cares?

It's just weird that someone would think their opinion is objective fact. And think that so strongly that you repeatedly and publicly tell others that the opinion those others have is wrong, that what those others like is objectively stupid, that they like trash. And when you observe that lots of people have that different opinion, rather than think "hmm, I wonder why so many think that, maybe there's something I'm missing," instead you think -- and say -- "hmm, I wonder why all those people are so fucking stupid." And then express surprise when those folks "get out the pitchforks" because you said that. JFC.

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    It’s like the S7/Soul 7, not my cup of tea but apparently people love them. If it gets people out skiing who cares?

Well, the Soul 7 was “the pinnacle of ski design”.

Perhaps it lends some of its success to its predecessor the S3?

And the Blizzard Rustler 10 is the new S3…

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Dude, I’d wager that everyone’s favorite friendly charger, the MFree 108 has a lot of Soul7/Soul7 HD in it’s lineage. Same company after all.

They did an exceptionally good job with the sidecut on the S3, especially in regards to matching it to the rocker profile. Companies didn’t really have a handle on that back then. Some still don’t.

It certainly wasn’t a ski for everyone and it had obvious soft spots. That said, it was remarkably capable and versatile in the hands of a finesse skier. They sold a ton to beaters because they were easy to ski but they were very rewarding for good skiers who don’t want to muscle/murder/crush everything.

Plenty of people out there have the chops to drive skis that are absolute destroyers but prefer to ski in a different style. I think inability to ski in multiple styles (for instance to fairly evaluate skis or adapt to equipment) actually shows a pretty major deficit in your skiing ability.

Some people take skiing waaay too serious.

My first “fat” skis after I moved west were S7’s and holy shit did they change my life. Love them. Actually just sold them a couple weeks ago mainly because they were too short and had chunky Dukes, otherwise I’d still have them. I’m also a pretty aggressive/fast skier and still loved them.

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    Some people take skiing waaay too serious.

My first “fat” skis after I moved west were S7’s and holy shit did they change my life. Love them. Actually just sold them a couple weeks ago mainly because they were too short and had chunky Dukes, otherwise I’d still have them. I’m also a pretty aggressive/fast skier and still loved them.

Try some mFree 108s they’re like Soul7 HDs. I’m not really joking.

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    Try some mFree 108s they’re like Soul7 HDs. I’m not really joking.

I’m intrigued by what I hear about those. I got some 188 Dynastar Legend 106, they work but not as fun as my old S7’s and I find myself rarely wanting to use them.

I have 185 Enforcer 100’s that work well for most normal days but wish I went bigger.

Also grabbed some used 191 Billy Goats this summer (traded my Bibby’s for them with another mag) and super excited to murder Alpental with them soon.

It’s all fun to me no matter what ski I have.