Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    I didn’t call anybody stupid and didn’t claim to be a superior skier. I’m still amazed at the lore and following around this ski, though. I had a couple vintages of the Rossi Scratch BC (which became the S5). Great all around twin tip for its day.

Rossi takes that ski, throws S7 style rocker in the tip and gives it a bit of tail rocker. The result it a skinny S7 but stiffer. The turn radius is now tiny. The front rocker acts like a snow brake in anything but blower. It holds an edge on groomers but you can only control it by throttling back. It smears because the effective edge is so small. What everyone is calling it’s strengths, I see as it’s defects and shortcomings.

I owned some 186’s. I skied them with my kids and they were fun for screwing around. But they really were shitty skis. I sold them after a few days (probably to someone here). It really doesn’t matter that I think they are shitty skis. It’s just fascinating that they are held in such high regard. Like mind-boggling.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

When you say that the ski is objectively "garbage" and "trash" and "shitty", you are calling people stupid for liking them, even if you don't use those words. You have opinions but you frequently state them as facts. "I didn't like those skis" or "those skis didn't work well for me and the way I ski" are very different statements than "those skis are garbage" or"I don't understand why people like skiing on trash."

There are plenty of skis that I've been on that I didn't like. Never felt that it was mind boggling that others liked them. Because I understand that different people like different things, that there are different types of skiers too, and my thoughts are just my opinions and not objective facts.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    When you say that the ski is objectively "garbage" and "trash" and "shitty", you are calling people stupid for liking them, even if you don't use those words. You have opinions but you frequently state them as facts. "I didn't like those skis" or "those skis didn't work well for me and the way I ski" are very different statements than "those skis are garbage" or"I don't understand why people like skiing on trash."

There are plenty of skis that I've been on that I didn't like. Never felt that it was mind boggling that others liked them. Because I understand that different people like different things, that there are different types of skiers too, and my thoughts are just my opinions and not objective facts.
    I hope you get a lot of life out of the pair that I gave you. Post some pics of you garbage skiing

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

What ski am I? Quiver of One, 100's underfoot

There are an awful lot of hurt feeling over me calling a decade-old mediocre design “shitty”.

My quest is to convert S3 lovers to something new…something more appropriate…seems to be backfiring. It appears that my crude methods of name calling directed at inanimate objects is proving to be in vain.

But if there is just one of you out there who comes to the light and recognizes that this was all aimed at saving a member of the brotherhood of skiing from one more day on mediocre gear, it will have been worth the ridicule and vitriol.

I dream of a day when “I need another hand-me-down pair of S3’s” threads no longer litter the otherwise noble tech talk inquires of Maggot-dom. I may not see it in my lifetime, but what’s the harm in dreaming of a better tomorrow? And why not start today?
    Last edited by Bandit Man; 11-24-2022 at 11:27 AM.

You must be fun at parties.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Give it a rest, probably not so mediocre given it’s cult following. It’s just not for you. I tried both S3 and S7 and some of the Soul series. They’re not bad skis, they’re too soft for me though at 6’5” 240-250 even in the longest lengths. The Super 7 195 and the longest Soul 7 HD were good but still a bit soft for my style of skiing, strength and size.

As I take your advice to “give it a rest”, I never said the other skis from that Rossi vintage were garbage. I owned and enjoyed many of them. It is my opinion that the S3 sucks. But why does that matter?

In what will likely result in a feeble attempt to leave this thread on a positive note, here’s a quote from Blister’s review of the S3:

“In conclusion, the Rossignol S3 is a fun, forgiving, quick, playful, versatile ski that will make beginners and intermediates more confident, yet will still allow advanced and expert skiers to have a blast, too, so long as they’re not pushing the ski beyond its intended design.”

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit Man View Post
    I didn’t call anybody stupid and didn’t claim to be a superior skier. I’m still amazed at the lore and following around this ski, though. I had a couple vintages of the Rossi Scratch BC (which became the S5). Great all around twin tip for its day.
    And that's why these are all "opinions", not "facts".

I found the Scratch BC and its variants to be the least fun ski I've ever been on. Completely dead and unresponsive at any speed, and with any technique, even compared to skis of the time -- without a corresponding benefit in stability like the XXX. But a lot of people liked them, and they were a great success for Rossi, so apparently there are a lot of people who ski differently than I do and like their skis to behave differently than I do.

I've wasted a lot of money on TGR fanboi skis that I thought sucked, and the skis I actually like are commonly derided. Never believe the ski hype on TGR, be it positive or negative.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    I've wasted a lot of money on TGR fanboi skis that I thought sucked, and the skis I actually like are commonly derided. Never believe the ski hype on TGR, be it positive or negative.
    Preach it brother. It’s sophomoric

Curiosity piqued. I personally buy skis that fit my style, hell I’ve went through so many over the years I can look at a shape and flex and decide If I may like it. Not a big fanboi ski buyer. So which ones did you not like?

I can't believe you guys aren't listening to Bandit Man. He's clearly the best skier and ski reviewer on this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Curiosity piqued. I personally buy skis that fit my style, hell I’ve went through so many over the years I can look at a shape and flex and decide If I may like it. Not a big fanboi ski buyer. So which ones did you not like?

Hmmm, well, did not like Wrens or Kartels and sold 'em pretty quick, disliked MF 108s although I ended up mounting tele bindings on those and they're surprisingly fun for that so I kept them. Shoulda prob got the 192 for such a forward mount ski but I could not get past the OTB sensation with a forward stance, thought I was going to break my neck. Could list others and my specific dislikes but what does it matter. My favorite skis always end up being K2s. And nobody ever looked cool in the tram line with K2s lol. But I'm too old to care anymore, I just think K2 has it dialed more than most brands for my style of skiing, whatever that is. But I'm sure as hell not going to call out anybody who likes skis I don't like and tell them a ski they perform well on is a "garbage" ski. That makes zero sense to me. We like what we like, and a lot of it comes down to confidence in a certain brand and the attitude we bring to a particular ski. I think people tend to discount the psychological part of the equation.

Quote Originally Posted by NW_SKIER View Post
    I can't believe you guys aren't listening to Bandit Man. He's clearly the best skier and ski reviewer on this forum.
    Thank You for listening. That was ABSOLUTELY what I was going for.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

If everyone agreed on what the best ski was, there would be no gear swap.

Sent from my SM-A536W using Tapatalk
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

Hmmm, well, did not like Wrens or Kartels and sold 'em pretty quick, disliked MF 108s although I ended up mounting tele bindings on those and they're surprisingly fun for that so I kept them. Shoulda prob got the 192 for such a forward mount ski but I could not get past the OTB sensation with a forward stance, thought I was going to break my neck. Could list others and my specific dislikes but what does it matter. My favorite skis always end up being K2s. And nobody ever looked cool in the tram line with K2s lol. But I'm too old to care anymore, I just think K2 has it dialed more than most brands for my style of skiing, whatever that is. But I'm sure as hell not going to call out anybody who likes skis I don't like and tell them a ski they perform well on is a "garbage" ski. That makes zero sense to me. We like what we like, and a lot of it comes down to confidence in a certain brand and the attitude we bring to a particular ski. I think people tend to discount the psychological part of the equation.
    Ah, thanks man. I also was not a fan of the Wren and the Kartel. I could also understand the mfree if on the 182.
    K2 makes some great shapes. Ive only been on a couple which sucks because I used to be a big K2 fan.
    Another ski is the Nordica Enforcer series. I have yet to ski it but it gets high praise and the shape looks great.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    You must be fun at parties.
    Well if I had a tgr party Banditman would be at the top of the guest list. I’ve read tons of his stuff on here. And learned lots. I find him one of the more chill dudes on here. And ya he and I disagree on some things (eg rec mount points!! and M102s in a quiver)….but that’s why it’s interesting. He’s super knowledgeable and very up to date on good gear. And he gives you his opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post

I know you weren't asking me... but I didn't like Billy goats or Wrens... I had them early so maybe they worked stuff out in later iterations but I didn't like them.

I loved my Sickles but the mispressed ones were not fun. I really liked k2 coombas. I didn't like the protest but I love my powderboards and still have them.

I also had an unknown vintage of Bros I didn't like... and people love that ski.

My 2 favorite skis of all time:
    Rocker 2 100 (circa 2012)
    Katana 108 (circa 2020)

Not at all similar and almost a decade apart in design... and I literally know only one other person who skis a rocker 2 100 and it's because I sold him my backup pair.

Who would have thunk it?

Sent from my SM-A536W using Tapatalk
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit Man View Post
    There are an awful lot of hurt feeling over me calling a decade-old mediocre design “shitty”.

My quest is to convert S3 lovers to something new…something more appropriate…seems to be backfiring. It appears that my crude methods of name calling directed at inanimate objects is proving to be in vain.

But if there is just one of you out there who comes to the light and recognizes that this was all aimed at saving a member of the brotherhood of skiing from one more day on mediocre gear, it will have been worth the ridicule and vitriol.

I dream of a day when “I need another hand-me-down pair of S3’s” threads no longer litter the otherwise noble tech talk inquires of Maggot-dom. I may not see it in my lifetime, but what’s the harm in dreaming of a better tomorrow? And why not start today?

S3s were really popular for eastern tree skiers and it kind of make sense.

but IMO BLOPs 98 are S3 that do not suck at life. As good in eastern tree, better literally everywhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwacka View Post
    S3s were really popular for eastern tree skiers and it kind of make sense.

but IMO BLOPs 98 are S3 that do not suck at life. As good in eastern tree, better literally everywhere else.
    The BO 98 is not as easy and loose as I remember the S3 being, though.

Since this thread has devolved substantially from the original question, I'll throw in my pro tip: don't listen to any you haven't personally skied with (and chatted gear). Or your friends haven't skied with.

The TGR hype train gets out of control, and anyone who disagrees is a bad skier. If someone doesn't like a burly ski, they can't find the front of their boots. If someone doesn't like a soft ski, they must have terrible balance and are overcompensating. But for any level of skier (past intermediate), there are so many different styles that lend themselves to different skis. In general, people tend to prefer skis that they ski a lot (or are similar to skis they ski a lot).

/rant
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    Since this thread has devolved substantially from the original question, I'll throw in my pro tip: don't listen to any you haven't personally skied with (and chatted gear). Or your friends haven't skied with.

The TGR hype train gets out of control, and anyone who disagrees is a bad skier. If someone doesn't like a burly ski, they can't find the front of their boots. If someone doesn't like a soft ski, they must have terrible balance and are overcompensating. But for any level of skier (past intermediate), there are so many different styles that lend themselves to different skis. In general, people tend to prefer skis that they ski a lot (or are similar to skis they ski a lot).

/rant
    This!

I remember riding up the lift with a couple of bros. They were discussing a ski (some park looking thing). Bro 1 goes to Bro 2 - "those skis would suck for you - I tried them and they are way too stiff."

Bro 1 approx. 125lbs 4 foot nothing
    Bro 2 approx. 220lbs 6 foot and a bunch and of the local Dutch lineage (read strong like bull).

edit - re-read the question. Was asking about 100+ skis not 100- so deleted my screed!

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post

/rant
    It’s TRG, it’s what we do bruh. Lol
    I have noticed that some bag on skis that a large swath think kicks ass, for no other reason but to bag on it. Frat house’ish.

Any review without weight height and style of skier is useless.

It is why the quiver pic thread is useful. I never take the time or money to demo skis. Plus most just aren’t readily available. The good thing is there are not many bad skis today if you understand what they are trying to do as a ski. Good luck with your one ski quiver, it’s a noble cause