Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

What ski am I? Quiver of One, 100's underfoot

Just starting to gather info on a new ski, purchase not necessarily imminent (but maybe?). I have zero knowledge about current skis.

Currently on an old Rossi S3 as my every day ski and fucking love them. But they are ~10 years old and the swiss cheese cores won't last forever. Plus, if I do any "bigger" trips, or a cat/heli trip, I want/need a ski that is wider than 98 underfoot. But honestly, there is also nothing about the S3 that I am looking to improve upon, other than width.

They are everything I was hoping for as a result of this thread many years ago: https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...90-s-underfoot and the Blister review is spot on. The Blister review also explains why it's not so easy as just getting the S7 (which probably doesn't exist in the same form anyway).

• it seems like one of the surest bets in skiing: when in doubt, you can grab an S3 and you’re probably going to have a good time, and depending on the terrain and the conditions, maybe even a great time
    • versatile, all-terrain, amazing floatation [I’d add: for a 98mm ski], functional, lightweight, instant speed control [i.e., they’re easy to scrub off speed], maneuverable, easy-to-steer, forgiving, quick, agile…an “all-mountain powder ski.”
    • an outstanding carver . . . for a tip and tail rockered ski.
    • the Rossignol S3 is a fun, forgiving, quick, playful, versatile ski that will make beginners and intermediates more confident, yet will still allow advanced and expert skiers to have a blast,
    I ski the resort a lot more than backcountry these days, and I ski trees a LOT looking for the soft snow plus I just like trees, and I love how stupid easy these skis are to turn; you just think about turning and they pivot. They actually ski groomers better than any ski this soft and rockered would be expected to (the Blister Review explains why). And they ski better in powder than anything else I have ever been on (which includes some skis 10-15mm wider). You can't bury the tips; they turn so easily, even at slow speeds; they don't need to be charged to ski well. The last 2 points are super important to me.

But I am thinking that I want a slightly wider ski to have in the quiver or become the quiver if these break. A few years ago, I looked for a "wider S3" and ended up with a BD Amp. And they just weren't that, I didn't enjoy that ski nearly as much, even in deep powder. Though it has been a while (I eventually gave them away for a bottle of bourbon) so I couldn't tell you all the reasons, I do remember that they were just so much heavier which would wear me down, and didn't turn quickly at slow speeds, which was a lot scarier in the trees. I'm thinking I should be looking around the 105+ range now, that if I go into the 110s the weight penalty and turnability penalty will get too big for me to be happy, but that's just my guess, I'm not committed to the idea.

Me as a skier: 5'9", 160, can and do ski everything on the mountain but definitely don't charge at high speed except on groomed. 100% tele but probably only 33% tele turns. Happiest in the steep trees. Favorite ski pre-S3 was the old square tail Gotamas.

So, what ski am I?
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

M Free 108 in 182.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Although, I hate the notion of one a one ski quiver, it seems like the Nordica Enforcer 104 Free is what you are describing.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Moment DW104 is worth a look. Love mine. Triple Camber can make them very pivoty but not sure how tele works ;p

Praxis Rx....

If I could only have 1 ski, for all conditions in the northern Rockies, it would be the salomon QST 106. Light enough to tour on, fun at any speed and in any terrain. Perfectly skiable on shit snow, perfectly fun in bottomless pow, yet they can shred just as well as any beef models I’ve skied. I was on the bright orange year model in a 181cm, and I’m usually on a 185-188 for a ski over 100mm.

And they can be found cheap used.

Other contenders would be: Nordica enforcer free 104, Blizzard Rustler 10, or Stockli Stormrider 95/102. I’d also add the Fischer Ranger skis from 2023 to this list, but not sure on which specific waist width. The 2023 ranger might actually be my new favorite ski in the 100-110 size.

Danno, I'm the same size as you and tele. You are in luck, as this is the golden age of 100-110 waist skis. I ski the old Volkl Nunataq in that range for the bc and the Nordica Enforcer 110 for the resort. The downside of liking these skis so much is that I can't rationalize buying another in that range. I don't think either of my choices are a good quiver of one though. If you get on Blister and check out Deep Dives for any of the first three skis suggested in posts above, you'll get comparisons to several other skis in your range. The comparisons are helpful in terms of finding the weight, stiffness, shape and strengths and weaknesses that are most important to you. It costs a little bit to see the Deep Dives on Blister, but I'll bet you know somebody who subscribes. Enjoy the search. I'm jealous.

Bent Chetler 100. Very light. Very good in soft and on groomed and in bumps and trees. Could be to flimsy if you are very strong. I’m same weight as you are, 5’11”, and ski them in 180.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

The first 3 skis mentioned in this thread are the first ones that came to mind.

M-free, skinny deathwish, enforcer. All different, but variations on the same theme.

I thought I was the only one still skiing an S3! They are now my rock skis but I still love them. You want the Enforcer 100, period. haven't skied the 104 but if it is like the 100 probably a great choice as well.

I am 165lb, ski anything, like to carve and go fast. I am in the PNW, While the S3 isn't the fastest it can carve for a 98 waist. The Enforcer is very similar at carving, will definitely hold an edge, but you can make it slide at will and it is very playful, great all mountain and in the trees and slop. Can make short and long turns which is what I love about the S3.
    Good for PNW "powder" days as well. My other skis are:

Head iTitan - for the hard pack days on piste
    Atomic G9 GS (FIS) - racers for ice and long groomers at Sun Valley
    You Will Respect My Authoritah!

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    Praxis Rx....
    Well, duh.
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

can one be a quiver ?

Don't you need at least two ?

https://ca.video.search.yahoo.com/yh...9a&action=view
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Reading up on all those (Blister reviews), they all look close. Thanks.

Based solely on those reviews and first impression of those, leaning M Free 108 or maybe QST 106, but it sounds like I'd be happy with any of them. Now to find the deep dive.

The Rossignol S3 skis like garbage compared to just about every ski listed here. That’s not meant to be an insult but rather a big nudge to be open to the design changes over the past 10-years that should provide a way better experience.
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

Line Sir Francis Bacon.

I liked the S3 too back in it’s day and I feel like the current SFB took all the good parts and made it better: light, floats excellently, easy to ski, tons of pop, holds an edge bizarrely well given what it is. I’m an up and over skier opposed to explode through.

The idea is lunacy, but if I had to pick just one it would be Mantra 102 for the West.

Add 84-88 for a 2-ski quiver, 112-118 for a 3-ski quiver.

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit Man View Post
    The Rossignol S3 skis like garbage compared to just about every ski listed here. That’s not meant to be an insult but rather a big nudge to be open to the design changes over the past 10-years that should provide a way better experience.
    Ha! You gave me the same shit when I was looking for a replacement S3. I shoulda listened. I never mounted those skis and sold them brand new for quite a bit less than I paid.

Danno, The answer (if you really like the S3) would be the Ripstick 106. Since I ski mostly here on the EC, I went with the Ripstick 96 and it's everything I liked about the S3 but way more versatile. Of the 30 days I skied at Grand Targhee and Jackson last winter, I was on the Ripstick 96s for 27 of them. They were great (because they are light) for hiking out to Mary's Nipple and they were surprisingly well-suited for up to 12" of untracked.

Volkl Blaze 106? I got the 94 for a spring tele ski, which it is great for IMO.

The former S3 users all know what they're talking about. My top picks would also be the Enforcer 104 Free, Sir Francis Bacon, and Elan Ripstick 106 (not the black edition). None are especially demanding, though not as dead easy to pivot as the S3. Major downside to the Enforcer is it's heavy, but they now offer an Enforcer 104 Unlimited without the metal but the same shape (same with Elan, they have a Ripstick Tour 104 that might work - haven't tried it yet but I have a pair in my basement waiting for snow). If you love the S3 the touring versions should be fine, they'll still have improved edgehold over your Rossi's but will be easy to throw around in the trees. I haven't skied any ski tele in about 25 years, but for the majority of your turns any of the above will be great.

PS Throw the new Blizzard Hustle 10 in the mix, too.

Awesome, more skis to research!

A few thoughts...
    While I have too many skis, I got the Norse Enduros to be my go-to everyday + travel skis, both resort and BC (I put inserts in)... https://norseskis.eu/products/the-enduro-ski-only-e
    They're versatile and pivoty enough, but don't carve super-great (twin rocker, low camber, fairly light). But good in powder, good in moguls and trees, ok on groomers, light enough to tour well. You're welcome to try them. I'm up at Eldo a lot.
    For what works in tight steep-ish Eldo trees in my opinion, I think something truly pivoty - and the MFree 108 (although I've never skied) gets high high marks on that. Looks like an awesome ski. If I were to re-do a quiver, that would probably be at the heart of it.
    4frnt hoji and raven (I've got Ravens) also are high pivoty, but at fully reverse camber they're not very fun on hard groomed runs like bombing Corona. You're also welcome to try the Ravens, although mounted with tech bindings.

Quote Originally Posted by Beder View Post
    The idea is lunacy, but if I had to pick just one it would be Mantra 102 for the West.

Add 84-88 for a 2-ski quiver, 112-118 for a 3-ski quiver.
    The idea of a 1 ski quiver is lunacy? Well, in some respects it is, because even with my 1 ski quiver, I still have a pair of hard pack skis that I use before anything opens up (I don't call them rock skis because all skis are rock skis), a pair of Folsom Customs that are no longer something I want to use much, but were made for me and have my name on them and look purty so I can't bring myself to get rid of them, a pair of skis I use for sand, a pair of xc skis, and a backup pair of xc skis. That's my 1 ski quiver.

That said, as a daily driver notion, I find that I want only one. Because even on a groomer day (all but the worst of them) I am still popping into the trees here and there. And even on a "powder" day, most of the time it's a true powder hour and the rest of the day is spent hunting the good snow, which means lots of time on groomers or bumps or whatever in between the shots of good snow, and the fat ski quickly becomes tiring and not as fun. Years ago, I was running Mantras and loved them (when they were the new hotness, so maybe 17 years?) and I got some Gotamas to have a wider ski in the quiver. But after going back and forth a few times, I ended up realizing that overall, no matter the conditions of the day (which always had a mix, though the proportions of the mix changed day to day), I generally wanted to be on the Gots. And that has been my experience every time I tried to create a quiver, that generally the day always has a mix of stuff, and if my "daily driver" is the ski most suited to me, that is the ski I always want to be on. YMMV (and obviously does).

SGN Rakkar could be a shout. 105 waist, turns and pivots very well with decent flotation. Can be charged if needed given the non-flimsy build. True all mountain/multi-purpose.

Plus it's Norwegian, and Norwegian shit is just cool.

https://sgnskis.com/en-us/products/rakkar

Also, a plug for my sale of these skis

Devestators