Future trip report: looking for Feb trip suggestions

I have 4 weeks no work no kids this February! I usually get 2-3 weeks and head from New England to Colorado Utah and or Wyoming to ski. Ikonic. But budget is more Motel 6 and less Teton Village. I take big chunks of time off and am staring down the barrel of putting kids thru college.
    This year I am thinking of saying fuck you to the overpriced everything near ski lifts and going to find summer in south America. I just don't even know where to start. I have been to punta arenas for work a few times and I have done some hiking in torres del Paine but that was a long time ago.
    I am very curious about Puerto Montt.
    I think my ideal trip would be a long backpacking trip like I did this summer when I thru hiked the Colorado trail. Maybe a few days on either side for "culture" but I have lived and traveled all over the world and "every fucking city looks the same"

Otherwise I will probably drive out west but I'm not psyched about that. My biggest expense on those trips is a rental car. I have friends here and there to stay with. Renting a snow capable vehicle for a month is crazy expensive.

Most of my trips have been something I have wanted to do for a while but right now my mental wish list is going blank. I guess that means I have done cool shit!

Edit to add: Japan????

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk
    I <heart> hot tele-moms

February in South America may be their summer but in a lot of areas that would be interesting for travel, this means rainy season which isn't ideal especially away from big cities. Not sure where the line is where they get real summer / non rainy season but thought I'd mention as it might eliminate some options down there. Trekking in Chile/Argentina looks pretty unreal.

New Zealand would be prime weather, you could do some trekking there. Shouldn't be too expensive doing it that way aside from airfare. I have some friends who have spent multiple dirtbag summers there mountain biking and they freaking love it. Lots of trekking routes have huts on them for accommodations.

You could bum around Baja California or mainland Mexico, or Central America. Feb should be prime (dry) season through most of Central American and Caribbean areas. Colombia is a rad place that not too many people have been. Lots of people who've backpacked around the world said India was another favorite. Lots of other places in SE Asia, Africa, etc should be in season.

Desert south-west is pretty awesome. Lots of hiking and exploring you could do. Arizona, CA, NV. Death Valley, Mojave, Anza Borrego, JTree, etc. Even Big Sur coast up to the Redwoods is awesome that time of year.

You rent a car to drive out west? Baller.

What kind of car you got right now? Can’t you just slap a set of freakin’ studded snow tires on that thing?

He’s John Hyatt, damnit, he drives a Cadillac with Tennessee plates.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Pura Vida: CR -Panama -Columbia -Ecuador
    Great Beaches, jungle, food and life gone by
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

The waxroom is cheaper than a motel6 room.
    You'd be welcome to crash here and there are a cool variety of couches to surf w/other mags too.
    Likely some 1/2 off vouchers floating around as well.

Do you mountain bike? There's great mountain biking in the winter all across the south/southwestern states.

I'm almost at the point where I could take a winter or a bunch of winters off from skiing and I've been eying up alternatives and trip ideas for following warmer weather during the winter.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

I have enjoyed hiking down in the Grand Canyon in February. You do need to be mindful of snow up on the rim, but the water is usually good and hardly anyone is around off the two main trails

145 yen to the dollar. If you ever thought about going now is the time.
    off your knees Louie

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    Pura Vida: CR -Panama -Columbia -Ecuador
    Great Beaches, jungle, food and life gone by
    Close. I would rent a moto and slay argentina.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona13 View Post
    Do you mountain bike? There's great mountain biking in the winter all across the south/southwestern states.

I'm almost at the point where I could take a winter or a bunch of winters off from skiing and I've been eying up alternatives and trip ideas for following warmer weather during the winter.
    Yes I bike and have been thinking about that for sure. I have been to Sedona in February and days where nice but short and nights were freezing for camping

I <heart> hot tele-moms

Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post
    The waxroom is cheaper than a motel6 room.
    You'd be welcome to crash here and there are a cool variety of couches to surf w/other mags too.
    Likely some 1/2 off vouchers floating around as well.
    Thanks dood! That aspect definitely keeps JH on the list up high!

I <heart> hot tele-moms

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    You rent a car to drive out west? Baller.

What kind of car you got right now? Can’t you just slap a set of freakin’ studded snow tires on that thing?
    No sorry. If I fly west then I have to rent a car to get around and I end up in Turo to get a snow worthy vehicle which is at least $100/day which is expensive for a long trip.
    I have a outback with studless snows but I just don't want to drive 3 days each way solo to get out there. But I might.

I <heart> hot tele-moms

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    He’s John Hyatt, damnit, he drives a Cadillac with Tennessee plates.
    With studded snows. And it's spelled Hiatt.

I <heart> hot tele-moms

Just a follow up as a thanks for the input, I am going to Cape Town South Africa and volunteering at a school for a bit and traveling for a bit with my old college buddy who runs that rural school.
    I couldn't wrap my head around a solo budget ski trip to Japan. It definitely looks doable and amazing and hope to make it in the future. The jet lag from the east coast would burn a few days on either end, the connection travel, and just getting around is all doable but I just don't have time to plan and research and the guided trip, while awesome, is pricey.
    Happy trails!

I <heart> hot tele-moms