Page 55 of 69 FirstFirst ... 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,375 of 1718

2022/23 NBA THREAD: IT'S WIDE OPEN JUST LIKE YOUR MOM

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Come on man, the 38 year old dude scores 40 points in an elimination game and your narrative is "yep, he's not the GOAT"? Absurd.
    Agreed, Danno. 40/10/9 in 48mins as the oldest player on the court. He's also 10-2 in conference finals, having won 8 in a row. Crazy stat.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

2022/23 NBA THREAD: IT'S WIDE OPEN JUST LIKE YOUR MOM

Come on man, the 38 year old dude scores 40 points in an elimination game and your narrative is "yep, he's not the GOAT"? Absurd.
    Sorry, but he’s not. My narrative on Le Flop isn’t based on tonight but reinforced by this series.

MJ was never swept in a conference finals. Sorry.

^^^Haters gonna hate.

I'm impressed Jokic was able to stay in the game after picking up his 5th foul with over 5 minutes remaining. I thought the Lakers were going to hunt him after that. Really well rounded win for the nuggets with all their starters scoring in the double digits.

Love the Mike Malone interview after the game. He basically said we're not celebrating too much because we still have work to do and 4 more wins left.

I'm bummed the finals don't start for another 9 days.... Now I'm hoping the Celtics show up tomorrow night so there's not 8 days without basketball

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Sorry, but he’s not. My narrative on Le Flop isn’t based on tonight but reinforced by this series.

The more I watch LeBron, the more I think he's better than MJ. And I hate LeBron. But...as mentioned above....the dude is 38 and still absolutely dominant. And the obvious? AD ain't Pippen.

Happy for the Nugs but respect the greatness.

Nugs/Heat is the most excited I've been for a final in a long time.

Sent from my SM-S918U1 using Tapatalk
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    Lebron is looking very very tired
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Le Tired.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	393.8 KB 
ID:	459805

JFC - can we please shit-can this GOAT talk? It's so fucking tired and dumb. The absolute lowest form of sports discussion.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    JFC - can we please shit-can this GOAT talk? It's so fucking tired and dumb. The absolute lowest form of sports discussion.
    Blaming the refs is lower. Just saying.

Normally i'd agree, but it's the NBA, the most incompetent and inconsistent (whether intentionally with an agenda or not) officiated league around

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

I've got a complicated fandom with LeBron; love him for the Chip and all those Finals runs, hate him for his departure show and general approach to his brand. But it never ceases to amaze me how people can just openly dismiss his accomplishments and incredible talent just cause they don't like him.

When its done he'll have all the records, and at least 4 titles, and mvps and all the other flowers and some dude in the corner of the internet will still be yelling about MJ. It's like we can't appreciate stuff as fans because insert name here did it better 25 years ago.
    I still call it The Jake.

Still salty the GOAT kicked the Warriors ass I see
    Live Free or Die

I hate FanDuel, and I hate commercials. This one however got thru my armor a little and made me at least half chuckle. "You're gonna be surprised.". Sir Charles went along with the self depreciation.

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/1B46/fanduel...harles-barkley

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    Still salty the GOAT kicked the Warriors ass I see
    Not salty at all (Denver would have beaten the Warriors too) - it's just a dumb fucking discussion with no answer. There's a handful of guys that are all time greats, good for them, now let's move on.

On another note, there's a difference between blaming the refs and just generally being frustrated by them being shitty in so many different games, including the ones where I have zero rooting interest in either team and just want to see them play.

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post

You know what MJ also never did? Carry his team to the conference finals at the age of 38. Instead, MJ couldn't even lead his team to the playoffs. So who was greater? The guy at 38 who got swept by a really fucking good team in the conference finals, while scoring 40 points and playing 48 minutes, or the guy who could not even make the playoffs?

I don't know who the GOAT is, but your posts on the subject are annoying AF.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    I've got a complicated fandom with LeBron; love him for the Chip and all those Finals runs, hate him for his departure show and general approach to his brand. But it never ceases to amaze me how people can just openly dismiss his accomplishments and incredible talent just cause they don't like him.

When its done he'll have all the records, and at least 4 titles, and mvps and all the other flowers and some dude in the corner of the internet will still be yelling about MJ. It's like we can't appreciate stuff as fans because insert name here did it better 25 years ago.
    Can’t forget his GOAT meta game!

You know, toward the end of that game I could tell the Lakers had found something they can use against the Nuggets.

My first paying job, as an 11 year old, was refereeing basketball games.

My takeaway halfway through the first game - being a ref is 100x more difficult than I imagined while obsessively watching the Chicago Bulls at home on TV. Everything happens very fast. You need perfect angles at all times and even then it’s easy to be just out of view of a few fingers. Or miss the situation entirely. And there’s no instant replay.

Similar experience reffing for soccer at a slightly older age.

Other realization - Little League parents are crazy.

I should also mention that David Stern was relentless, telling me to throw the game to make it a 3-1 series.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    sproing!

I've officiated high school basketball a few times (filing in last second for a friend who was sick or caught up at work) and it's a very tough job, but really all the players want is consistency. That's the problem with NBA officiating. That and, some of the stuff they call charging on when it's so clearly a block - had a few of those last night, especially the one where LeBron slides right under Jokic in the paint after he's already gathered the ball. Like, come on, it wasn't even close.

Quote Originally Posted by riser4 View Post
    I hate FanDuel, and I hate commercials. This one however got thru my armor a little and made me at least half chuckle. "You're gonna be surprised.". Sir Charles went along with the self depreciation.

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/1B46/fanduel...harles-barkley
    Yeah, that was a good one

I've officiated high school basketball a few times (filing in last second for a friend who was sick or caught up at work) and it's a very tough job, but really all the players want is consistency. That's the problem with NBA officiating. That and, some of the stuff they call charging on when it's so clearly a block - had a few of those last night, especially the one where LeBron slides right under Jokic in the paint after he's already gathered the ball. Like, come on, it wasn't even close.
    Consistency sounds easy but it is so hard. Every play is a foul, just about, but you can't call a foul on every play. I definitely get annoyed AF at the refs, and I certainly agree that it can be horribly inconsistent, where they will go stretches (usually at the beginning or ends of games) where it seems like they won't call anything, then there will be other stretches where they call a slight tap as a foul. But I do think that it is an insanely hard job, and I don't think it's as simple as telling the refs to be more consistent.
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Consistency sounds easy but it is so hard. Every play is a foul, just about, but you can't call a foul on every play. I definitely get annoyed AF at the refs, and I certainly agree that it can be horribly inconsistent, where they will go stretches (usually at the beginning or ends of games) where it seems like they won't call anything, then there will be other stretches where they call a slight tap as a foul. But I do think that it is an insanely hard job, and I don't think it's as simple as telling the refs to be more consistent.
    There's an excellent podcast where Michael Lewis (Big Short, Moneyball) interviews (I think) the head of NBA refereeing. It's a good listen, and you will feel a lot better about how well the games are officiated after that.

I'd also point out that if the refs are really as bad as some people like to say, then I'm not sure how they could be these secret agents that Silver is using to fix series. That said, they are human and are subject to human bias.

But seriously, listen to the podcast.
    https://www.pushkin.fm/podcasts/agai...s/ref-you-suck

Kings beaten by Warriors who lost to Lakers who were swept by Nuggets. Seems like Sacramento still has a ways to go.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Kings beaten by Warriors who lost to Lakers who were swept by Nuggets. Seems like Sacramento still has a ways to go.
    Matchups be like Rock Scissors Paper

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    then I'm not sure how they could be these secret agents that Silver is using to fix series.
    Well, gee, perhaps glaringly obvious free throw differentials way outside the norm? Getting an important player on one team into foul trouble early? I don't think the NBA rigs games, but the way they assign certain crews to certain games is definitely suspect. There's a reason Scott Foster is referred to as "the extender."

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    There's an excellent podcast where Michael Lewis (Big Short, Moneyball) interviews (I think) the head of NBA refereeing. It's a good listen, and you will feel a lot better about how well the games are officiated after that.

I'd also point out that if the refs are really as bad as some people like to say, then I'm not sure how they could be these secret agents that Silver is using to fix series. That said, they are human and are subject to human bias.

But seriously, listen to the podcast.
    https://www.pushkin.fm/podcasts/agai...s/ref-you-suck
    That was an interesting listen. Thanks.

But fuck podcasts.

That was an interesting listen. Thanks.

But fuck podcasts.
    I laughed.