Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Henry's Fork in Mid/end June 2023 Thread

I have been looking into this. To me, 2d or 3rd week in. June seems like a great time to fish Henry's Fork and the entire area between Henry's Lake and St. Anthony.
    I am posting this thread very early, but there is a lot to consider, and we can start out broad and then get more specific. Accommodations range from camping for about $35/day (unless there is free disbursed camping in the area) to 6 bedroom houses that are on the fork and accommodate up to 15 for about $500-$600/nt. For now, it would be nice to know who is interested, # in party incl. pets, whether you prefer tent/rv or house lodging, and whether you are bringing a boat. I think that we would be wise to try to shore up plans by Jan. or Feb., maybe March 1 at the latest.

We can start a list, but I can't imagine that we could get a group of fisherman larger than 10-15.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-10-05 at 10.14.41 AM.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	724.2 KB 
ID:	428760
    Photo taken from web with credit given. Sorry if this offends

Schindlerpiste--maybe Chessie dog--maybe wife. I could bring along a tandem fishing kayak. Any lodging, but house is preferable.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

I'd love to get up there again, probably would van camp. Subbing for updates closer to the time
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

I could be up for this. No RV or boat. My preference is the house idea

It looks like non-res fishing for a week costs about $65 - that’s damn cheap.

I am up for a day or 2, I am in driving distance, can provide a boat or 2 or 3 depending…

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

As of now I’m in. And happy to bring my boat. While my preference is a house I will probably be a last minute decision so I might camp.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

I'm interested for sure. I also have no idea if I'll be able to make it. Will have a better idea in the spring if it's possible.

Man I'd love to meet up but the 2nd or 3rd week in June is usually the start of salmon fly season around my here and I check out for a few weeks.

If you want to try and mix in a day or two chasing the hatch, I'll be camped at one of these locations depending on the week.

Quote Originally Posted by swimmy View Post
    If you want to try and mix in a day or two chasing the hatch, I'll be camped at one of these locations depending on the week.
    I just might take you up on that! Although, that is typically when our big bugs hit the water too.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

Quote Originally Posted by teleee View Post
    I just might take you up on that! Although, that is typically when our big bugs hit the water too.
    You have an open invite.

I might be in, trying to schedule a South Fork Snake trip around that time with my old man. Love to swing both!
    Montani Semper Liberi

I wouldn’t mind a day or two up there over that time.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    fished/rowed for with a cat from the drake at landos cody shindig who vbroed a house on henrys lake
    and drove around in a sprinter van with those proceeds
    lemmee know and ill see if i can git his info
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Is this still a Go?

I'll be there from June 5-9. I rented a cabin on Henry's Lake. Lot's of campsites around. We can still rent a house if anyone is interested. It is getting to be time to put this together.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    I'll be there from June 5-9. I rented a cabin on Henry's Lake. Lot's of campsites around. We can still rent a house if anyone is interested. It is getting to be time to put this together.
    Uhhh....we got a lot of snowpack. HF basin is 10% ahead of average SWE. Early June, that usually means high, off color water on the Henry's and full on runoff everywhere else. Which means almost every guided trip in a 100 miles radius is trying to float the lower Henry's.

Quote Originally Posted by neckdeep View Post
    Uhhh....we got a lot of snowpack. HF basin is 10% ahead of average SWE. Early June, that usually means high, off color water on the Henry's and full on runoff everywhere else. Which means almost every guided trip in a 100 miles radius is trying to float the lower Henry's.
    Or the South Fork

Early June with high water, I'd guess there are probably 20 anglers on the Henry's for every 1 who is willing to fish the SF above 15000cfs.

Fortunately for me, that's prime morel season so I can say to hell with that bullshit.

Early June with high water, I'd guess there are probably 20 anglers on the Henry's for every 1 who is willing to fish the SF above 15000cfs.

Fortunately for me, that's prime morel season so I can say to hell with that bullshit.
    Probably true but it sure feels like every swinging dick with a guide boat is on the Southy during high water- probably me just yelling get off my lawn.

Quote Originally Posted by teleee View Post
    Probably true but it sure feels like every swinging dick with a guide boat is on the Southy during high water- probably me just yelling get off my lawn.

Been 3 years since the SF had high water! Runoff peaked at 12000cfs last year, very fishable. This year, maybe a 17000-20000cfs peak, imho

Been 3 years since the SF had high water! Runoff peaked at 12000cfs last year, very fishable.
    Yep, very aware since I’m on it every day from May 1st on
    If they manage Palisades well they can keep the flows below 20k - when it get over that shit gets a little spooky

Re: the HF

My plan is to be there for the first couple days after opening day (believe it's 6/15), its usually a family outing with my dad and brother. They might stay a bit longer but I can't take more than a few days off.

Maybe its just how I grew up, but the last couple years of opening weekend haven't been shit compared to the combat fishing on the Delaware back east. It seems like people at least have some manors here.

High snowmelt year could be interesting, and I've already laid that out there to the fam, but they're still coming. Like most epic dry fly fishing a lot of shit has to line up just right. The beauty up there is that even when it doesn't it's still pretty good.

Two years ago the hatch was on, but the fucking seagulls were eating more bugs off the water than the fish. Couple that with them jacking the flow up and down and it killed what could have been a truly epic time. Last year the hatch wasn't great, but the seagulls were not nearly as bad and the crowds were virtually non-existent. Had pretty much free reign every night to go wherever we wanted.

Bank sipper

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1679629384.676899.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	1.47 MB 
ID:	452980

I'm using reports from Rob Van Kirk to keep informed about flows: robAThenrysforkDOTorg. The report seems legit and knowledgeable. " water-year precipitation stayed at 112% of average and SWE Snow water equiv.) at 109% of the average annual peak.

Here is an example of a recent report:
    Headlines

After a cold dry day, water-year precipitation stayed at 112% of average and SWE at 109% of the average annual peak.
    Precipitation over the next seven days is expected to reach 4 inches of water equivalent in the northeast corner of the watershed.
    Natural streamflow is 69% of average in the upper Henry’s Fork and 57% of average in the Teton River.
    At an outflow of 251 cfs, Island Park Reservoir is 86% full, compared with 83% full on average.
    Details

Mean temperature yesterday was 9 degrees F below average. With only three days left in the month, March 2023 will end up as the coldest March in the 1989-2023 record. Mean temperature so far this month is almost 8 degrees below average. Water-year precipitation to date stayed at 112% of average. Precipitation for the month of March so far is 149% of average, and 4th highest in the 1989-2023 record. Precipitation over the next three days may push us up to 3rd place, behind 1995 and 1989.

Snow water equivalent (SWE) dropped to 118% of average for the date but stayed at 109% of the average seasonal peak. Heavy precipitation and cold temperatures are expected for the next week, continuing SWE accumulation at least through that time period. Most of the watershed will receive at least 1 inch of water equivalent, with up to 4 inches in the northeast corner of the watershed. If those amounts materialize, SWE will increase to around 115% of the average annual peak by this time next week and rank in the top 10 of years since 1989.

Beyond next week, long-range outlooks continue to place high probability on below-average temperatures and give modest odds for above-average precipitation.

Natural streamflow in the upper Henry’s Fork is 69% of average, as snowmelt usually contributes to increased flows by late March but has not yet done so this year. Likewise, the Teton River usually experiences an increase in flow in late March due to melt of low-elevation snow in Teton Valley. That has not yet happened, leaving streamflow in the Teton River at less than 60% of average. These low natural flow figures reflect a combination of very low baseflows inherited from the drought that began in July 2020 and delayed melt due to very cold temperatures so far this spring. Current snowpack is far enough above average to offset low baseflows, and I expect April-September natural streamflow to be a little above average watershed-wide.

At an outflow of 251 cfs, Island Park Reservoir is 86% full, compared with 83% full on average. The reservoir is on track to reach the target of 126,000 ac-ft (93% full) by the average ice-off date of April 28.

Graphics

Watershed SWE
    Teton River above Crosscut Canal
    Island Park Reservoir inflow/outflow: 15-minute data
    Island Park volume: 15-minute data
    Island Park Reservoir volume: water year
    Streamflow through Box Canyon

I am still planning on being on the river in early June.

I was askin if this was happening mainly because of the snowpack. I also have to plan.

There will be something to fish…somewhere.agree with ND tho…every guide boat around will be on the fishable sections.

We're probably going to hit 12% seasonal average by the end of the week. It's going to be a high water year. Even good old reliables like the Firehole and Warm rivers will be high and off color.
    Last edited by neckdeep; 04-13-2023 at 11:02 AM.