Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    But the soft hackle or other similar techniques could be good until august over there.
    Quite honestly, I don’t care about catchin’ if there are folks here gathering for laughs, party favors and good grub.
    I might suggest it be pushed ahead 2-14 days or pulled back a month-ish. But again, if fun and laughing can be had we can get over poor catching.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by schwerty View Post
    But the soft hackle or other similar techniques could be good until august over there.
    For sure. Lots of fish will be pressed up against the banks looking for nymphs and worms. If high sticking nymphs in the shallows at point blank range is your thing, theres plenty of fish to be caught at one's boot tips. All you need is about 1 foot visibility to catch fish on the bottom.

There's options but early june high water gives you about the most limited set of options of the season and you're one heavy rainstorm away from flood stage, like what happened last june.

Another big dump for the Henry's basin. Its going to take a flash flooding event in May to clear this much snowpack by early June. Rivers, even the tailwaters, could be fishing between poor to unfishable.

Bring your lake gear and a boat. And a big net. Henry's Lake still has monster fish.

Last fall, record hybrid.
    Name:  hailey_thomas_hyb_small-1.jpg
Views: 622
Size:  325.0 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by neckdeep; 04-13-2023 at 11:28 AM.

Runoff is finally coming down. No more storage space in the lakes. Lower river is blown out and will be unfishable for now. Appx. 70% of snowpack remains.

Quote Originally Posted by neckdeep View Post
    Runoff is finally coming down. No more storage space in the lakes. Lower river is blown out and will be unfishable for now. Appx. 70% of snowpack remains.
    That's what's happening here too in Utah. Damn. I was really hoping to get on the Henry's Fork this June. Unrelated question - what non-blown out rivers should I look at exploring this summer?

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

The Henrys is usually fishing well by mid-June even in a high water year. The Firehole and Warm rivers are the first rivers to clear up, usually fishable June 1.

I wouldn’t plan on the South Fork fishing well for at least 3 weeks, 5 is probably more realistic. We have caught a few fish but have had to work for them and the water is getting dirtier every day.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

Water levels are dropping surprisingly fast. I guess the ground is absorbing a lot of the snowpack this year. It's a week ahead of where I expected it to be.

With the freshet release this year, there's already been two major peaks to wash the silt off the banks. If this trend keeps up, river will be high but should have decent clarity during salmonfly hatch.

Changed my dates to 6/24-28. Staying at Henry's Lake State Park. Bringing my tandem fishing kayak. Hope to fish the lake down to Harriman's. Would love to see maggots
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    Changed my dates to 6/24-28. Staying at Henry's Lake State Park. Bringing my tandem fishing kayak. Hope to fish the lake down to Harriman's. Would love to see maggots
    If you are at the lake, you should head up to the Madison for a day. That is prime time big bug fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    Unrelated question - what non-blown out rivers should I look at exploring this summer?

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
    River X (!)

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Quote Originally Posted by swimmy View Post
    If you are at the lake, you should head up to the Madison for a day. That is prime time big bug fishing.
    Thanks! We are planning spending a day between the dam and Quake Lake.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Bringing a crew of road cyclists and fishers up 16-19th, drifters only, no rafts so my goal of another grandview to jumpoff was put off until another time.
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Just got off today from a few days of smashing Browns on caddis flies. Had a few eat big bugs and a few on droppers but most were taken on a pretty simple caddis.

Sent from my SM-S918U1 using Tapatalk
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

aw yeah. wheels up friday, if you see a joker rowing an old clacka that looks like he has no idea what he's doing, give a holler.
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Quote Originally Posted by Phall View Post
    aw yeah. wheels up friday, if you see a joker rowing an old clacka that looks like he has no idea what he's doing, give a holler.
    I won't be back that way until July but have a blast!

One thing to consider is bringing an 8 weight and floating Ora to Vernon while tossing mouse patterns in the dark. Those browns gotta love mammal flesh!

Also, we caught quite a few fish in the middle of the river, FWIW.

"All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Good tips. Thanks rev. 8wt is packed for potential rainy streamer action. Being that I’ve only rowed half a dozen times, a float in the dark may not be the best idea!

Wifes family issues have taken me to the mid west for a few weeks right in the middle of prime Henrys Fork action. Enjoy Phall, it should be awesome!

Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend Floater View Post

Also, we caught quite a few fish in the middle of the river, FWIW.

Been that way for nearly two decades. Too many boats running the banks just hazes the big fish back into the middle of the river. The sad truth of that hatch on the lower Henry's is you can substantially out fish the folks pounding the bank with big flies by nymphing in the green water.

My other june HF tip is to do something else during gentleman's hours. Eat an early dinner and plan to fish hard from 6pm until dark. All the guided anglers are gone by the time the best dry fly action starts. This is especially true during the upcoming mayfly hatches because the guides will camp on the riffle drop offs for hours during the day.
    Last edited by neckdeep; 06-15-2023 at 08:55 AM.

Had something come up tomorrow otherwise I'd be camping up there tonight. Going to head up to the ranch late Saturday or first thing Sunday morning and plan to fish any spinner fall in the AM, fuck off midday, and get back at it in the evening. Probably get home around midnight Sunday, woo.

Drakes were poppin yesterday
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image000003.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	423.3 KB 
ID:	462379Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image000002.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	341.7 KB 
ID:	462380

Quote Originally Posted by teleee View Post
    Wifes family issues have taken me to the mid west for a few weeks right in the middle of prime MUSKY action.
    FIFY

"Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    FIFY

Dude if there was any way to escape the domestic hell of Iowa and assisted living homes I would be at your doorstep in a heartbeat!

Quote Originally Posted by neckdeep View Post
    Been that way for nearly two decades. Too many boats running the banks just hazes the big fish back into the middle of the river. The sad truth of that hatch on the lower Henry's is you can substantially out fish the folks pounding the bank with big flies by nymphing in the green water.

My other june HF tip is to do something else during gentleman's hours. Eat an early dinner and plan to fish hard from 6pm until dark. All the guided anglers are gone by the time the best dry fly action starts. This is especially true during the upcoming mayfly hatches because the guides will camp on the riffle drop offs for hours during the day.
    Yeah, we did the 6pm float and had a blast with nearly no other boats. Got into good PMD action in the froggy water by Chester. We always try to squeeze one in every HF weekend.

Thinking of heading up to island park next weekend for a camping/fishing trip. Anyone know of good campgrounds in the area on or near HF that will be open next weekend