Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Colombia Things To Do?

Taking my kid there for spring break. I searched the forums, but not too much came up.
    We will likely fly into Bogotá. First weekend there is a big music festival, (estereo picnic) probably catch a day of that. Kiddo is into robotics, so I reached out to some schools there to see if there are any meets or competitions we could attend.
    I am going to reach out to the mayor of Bogatá, who is a massive bike nerd, and invite him out for coffee and maybe a short ride to talk about cycling advocacy.
    Will be mountain biking with an EWS ex pro in Manizales for a day or two, so got the cycling covered.
    Anyone been that could recommend things to do in those areas?
    Maybe rent a car, and drive to some cute towns? Keep in mind, I am trying to keep a fourteen year old entertained.
    We would like to hike up somewhere very high as well, maybe an accessible volcano?
    We are not interested in beaches or jungle, really.
    Spanish is fine.
    Thanks in advance!
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Yeah, we will avoid clichés where we can.
    But that looks ‘fun’.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post

If that mayor is the same guy I met about 10 years ago he is pretty cool and used to run a weekly group mtb ride on the urban trails around the city. He came into the shop I was at to get stuff for him and his kid that was going to NYU at the time.

Drive the Trampolin del Diablo in your rental car.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Is Colombia safe for tourists??? I'm actually serious.

What I've read of expats in Columbia, consensus seems to be safe parts and dodgy parts like most places in the world.

No relevant beta to share so this adventure stoke will have to do. The varied geography interesting; it's not all jungle.

Quote Originally Posted by riser4 View Post
    Is The USA safe for tourists??? I'm actually serious.
    FTFY

Have you googled "Top 10 things to do in Columbia?"
    Make sure it's not Columbia, SC.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Is this a trick question?

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    If that mayor is the same guy I met about 10 years ago he is pretty cool and used to run a weekly group mtb ride on the urban trails around the city. He came into the shop I was at to get stuff for him and his kid that was going to NYU at the time.
    Gotta be the same guy.

It's hard to believe that any politician down there could still be successful (and alive) after so many years.

It’s a LOT more civil than it was even 10 years ago. Let alone 20. This is a very good time to go, cheap as fuck, safe if you are smart. But still cosmopolitan and fairly ‘normal’. I’m pretty psyched to check it out.

I spent a month there in 2005. Everyone who had never been said it was too dangerous to visit. Everyone who had spent time in Colombia said it was awesome and their favorite country in S America. It was definitely my favorite and I wished I could have spent more time there.

The people were very friendly and had great sense of humor. There wasn't much tourism which was good and bad. I loved it because it wasn't touristy. Because of that there weren't the same amount of scams and thieves targeting tourists that you get in other places. Like anywhere you just had to use common sense and not go to sketchy areas or at least not go alone or at night. Locals were very helpful with advice on where to go / not go. There were plenty of tourist police in the big cities who were both helpful and there to keep the tourists safe.

I spent 4-5 days in Bogota staying in the Candelaria area (the old town). Lots of museums and important buildings/architecture nearby that was very cool to check out including the Presidential Palace and some cool churches. The Museo del Oro and Museo Botero were the better museums I went to. Also checked out the science museum - I think it was this one - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maloka_Museum was kind of cool, and was in a more modern part of Bogota. Went up to the Monserrate (wanted to hike up but locals advised against that and said take the tram.) There was a tower we went up that had awesome views of the city. Can't recall the name, but we spotted the bullfighting arena nearby. No matches going on when I was there. Also wanted to go to a soccer game but similarly couldn't find one while there.

Cartagena and Santa Marta were both cool but both are pretty far and get into the beach/jungle realm.

I got a buddy who told me the roads are pretty good not much traffic he would rent a villa and organize road bike rides ( expensive bikes/ lotsa lycra) in Columbia, now has this hot columbian wife
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Colombia is awesome, one of the coolest places I’ve visited. However, we just spent time in the jungle and beaches of the Caribbean coast. Not really beach people but it was amazing although admittedly sweltering hot in that area.

Maybe you’re a big deal or maybe I’m misunderstanding the world, but sitting down for coffee with the mayor of a city of 8 million people seems like an accomplishment. Mayor is female now though…

Cocaine definitely has a presence, or maybe they target younger backpacker types. Folks from down under in particular seemed thrilled about being in a country with high quality and relatively low cost drugs. Not my scene.

Sorry to perpetuate the stereotypes though. It’s a beautiful country and I would have loved to check out some parts of the interior such as Bogota.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    But that looks ‘fun’.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    This back and forth was so well done.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Drive the Trampolin del Diablo in your rental car.
    Just watch the Grand Tour Columbia special for more great driving ideas. You'd be surprised how resilient a rental car can be.

Cartagena has been the "it" destination for like the past 5 years or so from every "I was there before it was cool" type and Conde Nast Traveler and the like.
    I still call it The Jake.

Colombia was awesome, one of my favorite countries as well. I'd love to go back and check out Bogota, Cali, and Medillin areas. We spent our time in Cartagena and a tiny town called Minca above Santa Marta. Sorry I'm no help to the OP.

Safer than St Louis. Avoid public transportation if you’re paranoid. You will get robbed if your sporting a Rolex. My Dad got stabbed in the metro in Chile for his, and that place is a lot safer. I’ve been robbed several times at knifepoint as a teenager. But I was a dumb ass with a walkman around my neck playing video games in the shitty arcade. They did ot once when I was with the US ambassadors son though and the Chilean secret police pounced on these poor kids and took them out back and beat the shit out of them.

When in doubt, act like the boss. I know that sounds weird, society is pretty split down there, haves and have nots. Haves always know the right people.

I went to Costa Rica to visit a a girl I grew up with in Chile and she’d walk into a restraunt with this fucking attitude, like snap her fingers, and at first there was a look of confusion, then they were like fuck this don’t want to find out, here is our best table. She could back it up though.

Quote Originally Posted by Cono Este View Post
    Safer than St Louis. Avoid public transportation if you’re paranoid. You will get robbed if your sporting a Rolex. MynDad got stabbed in the metro in Chile for his, and that place is a lot safer.

When in doubt, act like the boss. I know that sounds weird, society is pretty split down there, haves and have nots. Haves always know the right people.

I went to Costa Rica to visit a a girl I grew up with in Chile and she’s walk into a restraunt with this fucking attitude, like snap her fingers, and at first there was a look of confusion, then they were like fuck this don’t want to find out, here is our best table. She could back up though.
    There is a bit of that with my group in Perú, whether it’s good or bad, I can’t say. But it is much easier traveling with them than as a solo gringo tourist. When shit goes south, magic happens, and things work out.

Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

GUTBOMB doesn’t need any translation!

I know you said you have cycling covered, but the ciclovia was the highlight of my short stay in Bogota. If you are able, you really should experience it. It's every Sunday till early afternoon. Bikes and families own the streets!
    ::.:..::::.::.:.::..::.

Yes, that is in the plan. You can rent tourist e-bikes for $5.00 a day. Will be getting around Bogotá on those, for sure!