Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fat Bear Week

Fat Bear Week

Yes, my friends, it is that time of year: the leaves begin to change colors, the temperature cools and the time-honored tradition of rooting for your favorite chonky bears at Katmai National Park & Preserve begins.

Fat Bear Week is about body positivity. A fat bear is a healthy bear! Fattening up as winter approaches is a matter of life and death for these bears. The more bulk they put on, the more likely they are to survive the long, cold months.

Celebrate the success of Brooks River’s world-famous bears during Fat Bear Week by placing your vote tomorrow: https://www.nps.gov/katm/learn/fat-bear-week.htm
    Photo courtesy of L. Law / NPS

How it works
    Rangers create a March-Madness style bracket pitting individual bears against each other. The public then votes to see who will advance each round. Voting takes place over several days on www.fatbearweek.org. People may vote using any criteria they see fit. In the end, one bear will reign supreme.

2022 Fat Bear Week
    This year, Fat Bear Week starts on October 5 and concludes on Fat Bear Tuesday, October 11. In addition to voting during this week-long tournament, there will be a series of online chats on explore.org featuring Mike Fitz, explore.org's resident naturalist, and rangers from Katmai. These chats focus on both the individual bears and Katmai's healthy ecosystem. Throughout the season, you can also tune in to the explore.org bear cams, which offer unprecedented access to the lives of the bears of Brooks River. There are also special live events on a variety of topics hosted weekly throughout the season.

Who's who in the bracket? Check out the competitors and their early season/late season photos here.

More photos can be found on Katmai's Flickr site.

Name:  FBW22.png
Views: 762
Size:  491.8 KB
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Fat Bear Week is a big deal at my workplace (outdoor retail store). Staff pick a bear to support, one woman has made a giant flow chart to track the competition and pictures get moved along as progress is made. Someone gets a prize at the end of it all. Meanwhile, at the front counter, one of the monitors is displaying the live cam of the river bears al day day long. It's pretty cool.
    "... Enjoy yourselves, keep your brain in your head and your head firmly attached to your body, the body active and alive, and I promise you this much: I promise you this one sweet victory over our enemies, over those deskbound people with their hearts in a safe deposit box and their eyes hypnotized by desk calculators. I promise you this: you will outlive the bastards." – Edward Abbey

Support Hinterlandian backcountry skiing: wwhsta.org

Competition between 747 and 856. Walker and Holly are contenders but 856 is definitely in the lead.

Quote Originally Posted by mud View Post
    Competition between 747 and 856. Walker and Holly are contenders but 856 is definitely in the lead.
    747 looks like he/she's been through the wars
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Lynda Carter proved why she is truly the Wonder Woman of our hearts after admitting she thought Fat Bear Week was a body positive LGBT+ event.

Carter – who played Diana Prince, aka Wonder Woman, in the original 1970s TV show – shared on Twitter that she had recently discovered Fat Bear Week, an annual celebration of the massive land mammals.
    ….

Holly looking thicccccc.

Walker (151) is pretty hefty

This thread isn't about San Francisco?

I thought it was about digitaldeath’s dating habits
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    Walker (151) is pretty hefty
    I’m voting for 151 but they all blow me away.
    Last edited by Brownski; 10-07-2022 at 09:01 PM.

When's BearNado playing on SciFy??
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Isn't fat bear redundant? Oh, THAT bear. Carry on.

Heeyyy P town

Good golly, Miss Holly (435)! Can her cinnamon rolls of flattering fat flatten her feisty foe? Or will 164, the under-bear under the falls overtake the hefty heavyweight hitter Holly and pile drive the competition?
    Make your choice at www.fatbearweek.org by 5pm AKDT. #FatBearWeek

IMO - Holly may have an unfair advatage of being preggers so she looks fatter though I don't know the sex of 164. Just saying.....

856 is the resident obnoxious asshole and cub killer, but still not bear enough to chase 747 from his fish'n hole. Next year though...
    Scientists now have decisive molecular evidence that humans and chimpanzees once had a common momma and that this lineage had previously split from monkeys.

Holly is a darling and I hope she wins.
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Well, I'm not allowed to delete this post, but, I can say, go fuck yourselves, everybody!

Today, a pair of promising powerhouse protagonists face off! Regardless of raising rambunctious rascals, 128 Grazer managed to maximize her mass. As a single sow, independent newcomer 901 set her sights on self-care and synthesizing size. Will 128 and her two back up bouncers be able to show 901 and her remarkable rolls out?

Choose your lardaceous lady at www.fatbearweek.org by 5pm AKDT. #FatBearWeek

��FAT BEAR WEEK SCANDAL!��

Like bears stuff their face with fish, our ballot box, too, has been stuffed.

It appears someone has decided to spam the Fat Bear Week poll, but fortunately it is easy for us to tell which votes are fraudulent. We have discarded the fake votes and today’s official totals are:

747: 37,940
    435: 30,430
    Total: 68,370

747 is the winner:
    Stopped by TSA for smuggling salmon, supersized sow 435 Holly missed her connection while jumbo jet 747 cleared the runway. This capacious cargo carrier cruised into the finals with a triumphant tailwind.

Return to www.fatbearweek.org at 8am AKDT to vote in tomorrow’s #FatBearWeek matchup between the fur-ocious females.

Today's was a tough call, but I went for 901.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Today's was a tough call, but I went for 901.
    901 is YUGE. Check out those biceps!

901 is using steroids and should be disqualified.

128 is thiccc.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

��FAT BEAR WEEK SCANDAL!��

we got weights in bears! get the fuck outa here!

And the winner is:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20221011_231420.jpeg 
Views:	57 
Size:	90.7 KB 
ID:	429693

747 is estimated to clock in around 1400 lbs, one of the largest bear ever in that area.
    Apparently 901 tripled in size and weight during the summer. That's... wild.
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

While my girl was mired in controversy, hats off to Bear Force One. Well deserved win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Well, I'm not allowed to delete this post, but, I can say, go fuck yourselves, everybody!