Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Off-Topic: I need a new car / truck / SUV

All-right Team-

At the moment I'm rollin' in a 2010 Nissan Xterra Off-road and my wife drives a Volkswagen Sportwagen.
    The Xterra is reaching its final days. It's fine around town, but we've had some gremlins pop up when taking it on longer trips.
    The Sportwagen is fun to drive and great around town, but too small for our family of 4 + 2 dogs + gear.

I'm completely lost on finding something new. What I can afford and I what I want to spend are totally different. I don't get new car pricing and I don't want to be tied to an $800 / month bill but I'm also finally an adult and don't want to be rollin in a decade old vehicle so maybe I just need to accept it.

I want something "nice", but I have kids and dogs and we all piled in after a wet cyclocross practice last night.

I've considered electric / plug-in hybrid but we only have streetside parking and my garage is too choked with bikes and skis to park in, so it seems futile?

Needs
    1. 4-wheel / All-wheel drive.
    2. Ability to handle at least light off-road. Getting to trail heads, parking off-road, driving in snow, etc.
    3. Big Enough to fit 4 comfortably + dogs and some gear in back + roof rack. (Weekend skiing or car camping)

Wants
    1. Fun to drive. I don't want anything lethargic.
    2. A decent daily driver (e.g. lifted F350 long-beds are out)
    3. Within the last 5 years and / or current model styling

Deal Breakers
    1. Subarus
    2. Sedans
    3. Most American made models, excluding some trucks and maybe Jeep.

Random thoughts
    1. Part of me wants to keep the Xterra for local trails and dirty things, and pick up an All-road for daily and longer trips. Enough cargo room?
    2. 4Runners check a lot of boxes, but they're pretty boring and common

Without a budget, too difficult to offer realistic options.

And gas mileage expectations

the geo tracker fits yer description to a t….

Name:  32D7E19E-46FA-45E1-B836-9E74CB01F36D.jpeg
Views: 530
Size:  210.1 KB

fact.

Kia Sorrento? Telluride if you can swing the price.

Or look into minivans. Cars are expensive these days. If you want something new and big enough for 4 + dogs + gear you're looking at $40k I'd guess. Unless you call a midsize SUV (e.g. Rav4) big enough.

Toyota Sienna and Kia Carnival are good options.

Quote Originally Posted by XtrPickels View Post
    At the moment I'm rollin' in a 2010 Nissan Xterra Off-road
    1. Fun to drive. I don't want anything lethargic.
    Man, my Gen2 Xterra was so fun to drive, I miss it all the time (don't miss the Nissan gremlins, though).

I recently bought a used Honda Pilot for this role to replace a totaled Audi Q7. There is a new model coming out so you might be able to get a decent deal. Lots of space inside and I really like the power train. Not quite as solid going 80+ as the Audi but better around town, more room and cheaper to drive.
    The new highlanders are nice and the hybrid gets amazing gas mileage if you can find one but the seats don’t agree with my back.
    I didn’t consider the Kia due to mark ups, they get good review but don’t do much for me.

You can pick up a 2017+ Volvo XC90 for around $40ish. Probably less down there. They look fantastic, are amazing to drive and super comfortable. Very reliable as well, and Volvo certified has warranties up to 160km / 100k miles.

I offloaded my raptor and just use the 90 now, and on occasion the 4Runner. I will pick up a V60/V90 wagon when the plug in hybrid is released (it was MY22/23 but chip shortages)

Checked out the Mazda CX-<n> line? Not sure they would be big enough for your needs, but perhaps worth a look...

4 people plus dogs and gear is van territory. Toyota Sienna AWD with a lift kit FTW.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

I also have an old-ass car that I don't really want to pay $40k to replace. I've been looking a bit at 3 row vehicles begrudgingly.

I like the CX-9. It drives better than the Telluride or Highlander and has a bit more ground clearance. I think they tend to be cheaper too. The XC90 is a very nice ride if you want to go fancy.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    4 people plus dogs and gear is van territory. Toyota Sienna AWD with a lift kit FTW.
    This.

Only box it doesn’t check is ‘fun to drive’, but the only fun to drive vehicles mentioned so far are the CX-5/CX-50, and they’re likely too small. (Bigger CX-90 is coming soon.)

Edit: can’t believe I forgot about the CX-9. More fun to drive than other mid-size SUV’s, but sill think a van is the correct choice.

How about a 500hp Hennessey Tahoe?
    https://jalopnik.com/at-38-500-is-th...eal-1849608276
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Lots of info here if you want it, Pickels.

Our new to us '16 Sienna has been awesome (it's our 2nd one). With kids/dogs, it's hard to beat. Although I'm likely adding an F150 next because I truly enjoy lighting money on fire.

I have similar needs/wants and overthought the new-to-me car decision. Ultimately, I replaced my 180k mile F150 ecoboost with a used, low mile 2021 F150 powerboost (hybrid) and added a shell.

I'll let you do your own research, but we settled on a '18-'19 VW Atlas. Hoping to pick one up after the holiday season. I liked the tried and true VR6 engine and the simple exterior and interior styling.

Our other considerations..
    Enclave/Traverse - Engine Issues
    Durango - Too similiar to what they were building in 2005
    Pilot- Didn't like the over complicated exterior styling and center stack
    Highlander - No bang for your buck / Toyota tax
    Explorer - Too much plastic fantastic on the interior
    Palisade/Telluride - Can't find them used, 'rents have been waiting 8 months for their new one
    CX-9 - Too much cockpit, might as well buy a 6
    Last edited by Touring_Sedan; 10-04-2022 at 02:42 PM.

2. 4Runners check a lot of boxes, but they're pretty boring and common
    This is what you are looking for.

But I guess they are boring and common, which is a problem when you need to haul your family and 2 dogs into the mountains?

- Fun to drive. I don't want anything lethargic.

- Within the last 5 years and / or current model styling

- 4Runners check a lot of boxes, but they're pretty boring and common
    These don't really jive with each other. The current 4R is functionally identical to the 2010 model. The styling is ok, but it's definitely lethargic, and drives like a body on frame truck. It's great for what it was designed for, but could be pretty tedious depending on what your daily is like.

The Highlander and Mazda CX series SUVs would be quieter and more comfortable, with car-like driving characteristics. Better acceleration and mileage too.

If you keep the Xterra, I'd get a minivan: Sienna/Pacifica/Carnival/Odyssey. There really isn't anything better for carrying around a bunch of people/animals/gear.

If you're not potentially keeping the Xterra, I'd still get a minivan, but probably specifically a Sienna and add the Journeys Off Road Lift. They have one for the Pacifica too, but it's newer and I haven't read as many reviews for it.

Quote Originally Posted by supermodel159 View Post
    Without a budget, too difficult to offer realistic options.
    Honestly, I don't know.

What do I want to pay $300.
    What could I pay? $1,000.

Honestly, I don't know.

You're not getting anything, then.

Honestly, I don't know.

So:

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...tain-bikes.htm

or

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...ntainbikes.htm
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Honestly, I don't know.

Just an FYI: don't shop the payment. It's like fight club: don't even talk about it. When asked, always say lowest "out the door" price (and do the payment math yourself) Otherwise, you're just asking them to get 'creative'.

Lots of good youtubers on this

I got an F-150 Powerboost (hybrid) this year, after having only owned Toyotas and Subarus my whole life. I'm with you, Subarus are overhyped crap. I will never even consider one again. But I also think that Toyotas are way overhyped, and the overall build quality is kind of shabby. My 2013 Tacoma had 206k miles on it when I traded it in, but the suspension was hammered and the transmission was on its last legs.

I don't know what your budget is, but would say that having grown up with my dad ranting about how any American made vehicle was shitty and unreliable, I love my Ford. The overall fit and finish of it is way, way better than any Toyota I've owned. There is just a higher level of attention to detail. And I get 20mpg commuting in a full size truck, driving over a steep hill and going 75-80mph frequently. The Tacoma got like 18mpg, tops. So consider test driving a Ranger or F-150.

I had a canopy on the Tacoma, but went with a roll top on the F-150. Still keeps gear dry but lets me put cross rails with bike racks on top. But a canopy would probably be better for dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by Touring_Sedan View Post
    I'll let you do your own research, but we settled on a '18-'19 VW Atlas. Hoping to pick one up after the holiday season. I liked the tried and true VR6 engine and the simple exterior and interior styling.

My wife is wanting to sell hers and is in no rush, so she can wait until after XMAS (subject to change, ha). If she can find a good replacement for her Atlas in this crazy market, is the caveat. It's a 2018 Atlas SEL with, I think, maybe, about 50k miles. DM me if yer interested.