Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunder View Post
    Every man should own a truck.
    They already should.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

For another option, how about Tony Soprano's Escalade?

https://jalopnik.com/become-a-part-o...1849614330/amp
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Pretty sure the Tahoe was designed as a pimpmobile, right from the beginning.
    Pretty tough rig IMO. The 4WD is every bit as good as my old 4runner. Tows like a beast. At some point around 2016 they did start designing them a little more bougie, that is true. I'm looking for '13 or '14. Those are good years.

Off-Topic: I need a new car / truck / SUV

4Runner is comparatively tiny inside. I have a pickup. Other than it’s ability to tow the camper, I find it to be a mediocre family vehicle compared to the minivan. Though, I’d probably take a pickup over an SUV.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Pickup trucks are the most useful vehicles ever and they're also fucking terrible as daily drivers.

Solution: buy a small sedan or hatchback for a reasonable price. Use that to run errands and drive to work. Also buy a large pickup truck. Drive that when you need to carry or tow shit. You're not driving it all the time, so you don't need all the bells and whistles. And that way you're not the goober that's using a 6,000 lb vehicle with an empty bed to solo commute.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    And that way you're not the goober that's using a 6,000 lb vehicle with an empty bed to solo commute.
    So instead you own two vehicles in place of one? Not sure how that makes more sense (or is more environmentally friendly, if that's what your angle is) than using a truck as your only vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    So instead you own two vehicles in place of one? Not sure how that makes more sense (or is more environmentally friendly, if that's what your angle is) than using a truck as your only vehicle.
    From an environmental angle, you're putting a lot of your miles in a 40mpg vehicle instead of an 18mpg vehicle. And I'm assuming we're talking about buying used vehicles, so there's no additional cost of production. And it's not like you're all of a sudden putting twice as many miles on - you're just not driving a giant gas hog when it serves no functional purpose.

But mostly, driving a big truck around kind of sucks. They're a pain in the ass to park, they have bigger blind spots, they're more expensive to maintain, etc.

Don't get me wrong - trucks are great. I have one, and it's super useful. But my life is a lot better once I stopped acting like a pickup truck is a good do-everything vehicle.

But my life is a lot better once I stopped acting like a pickup truck is a good do-everything vehicle.
    This. Going from truck to two SUVs - I would never go back to a full time truck. I miss it for sure and have had to rent a trailer a couple of times lately but I think if anything I'll pick up an old beater down the road.

They are absolutely terrible dailies and I wouldn't recommend one at all if you're parking around your standard office building or something.

We have 3 vehicles and treat/use them that way. Only drive the land cruiser when it’s needed and not as daily driver.

Also, a Tahoe is closer to a sequoia than a 4Runner.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunder View Post
    Every man should own a truck.
    why so they can haul a bag a groceries around and feel dominate even though they have soft hands?

buy a four runner it's ok it's like owning a subaru or a taco everyone has one it's ok

Pickup trucks are the most useful vehicles ever
    It is amazing then that I've lived in Montana 40 years, run painting contracting businesses, have a house on 10 acres of forested land, and have never found a pickup to be even remotely necessary, much less the most useful vehicle ever.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    It is amazing then that I've lived in Montana 40 years, run painting contracting businesses, have a house on 10 acres of forested land, and have never found a pickup to be even remotely necessary, much less the most useful vehicle ever.
    I mean, sure, depending on what you're doing, a pickup isn't useful.

But in the past month or so I've hauled a cord of firewood, picked up a bunch of lumber on a few occasions, hauled a rotted deck to my burn pile, hauled a bunch of drywall to the dump, towed a 6,000 lb camper and a 10,000 lb excavator, shuttled 6 people with bikes (although I've shuttled up to 10 with bikes in the past), etc.

Hauling the excavator would've been a stretch for pretty much any SUV, but otherwise I could have done most of that with a whole bunch of fucking around with assorted trailers and racks. But I can do it all super easily with one pickup truck. It's pretty damn useful.

yeah they are over rated it makes men feel like men to have one
    I've got a couple trucks and they are fine for work and don't do anything for me otherwise emotionally or outside of work but I've also had eight subarus in my life it's like little wind up car fourth gear 5000 rpm 60mph can't be beat weaving in and out of traffic with soft tires nothing wrong with getting in a car and acting like an 18 year old
    but hauling a family and gear prolly a no no in a lesbaru
    so just buy a van bro

Pretty stoked on my Hyundai Santa Cruz. I've done four people + two (small/medium) dogs + camping + climbing gear while getting 28mpg. Not a bad rig at all.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Hauling the excavator would've been a stretch for pretty much any SUV, but otherwise I could have done most of that with a whole bunch of fucking around with assorted trailers and racks. But I can do it all super easily with one pickup truck. It's pretty damn useful.
    You're right, the excavator is the only thing you needed the truck for. I've never hauled an excavator nor do I anticipate the need to. And using trailers is easy, it takes a few minutes to hook them up and unhook them. And for that simple task you don't have to deal with an expensive truck and all the maintenance and expense that comes with owning another vehicle with an engine. If you own property you spend a few grand on a good utility trailer and it does everything a truck does, but way cheaper and way less hassle. Truck beds are a pain to get stuff in and out of (whether the camper is on or not), and trucks suck for hauling ladders unless you have a ladder rack, which further impedes the usefulness of the bed space. Roof rack on my Tahoe can easily take two extension ladders and three step ladders, all that is needed to paint a house. Cargo trailer with my equipment can be locked and left on site. Basically what you own is a VERY expensive cargo/utility trailer.

Now if I wanted to pull a giant ass fifth wheel, then I'd need a truck. And who knows, if I'm rich some day maybe I'll invest in a setup like that, because fifth wheels actually make some sense. But in the meantime I can't conjure a legit use for a truck no matter how hard I try.

it's a MontanaMan-Off

Pickup trucks are the most useful vehicles ever and they're also fucking terrible as daily drivers.
    This.

I drive a company owned 8’ bed F150 M-Fr. Commuting to work and doing actual truck stuff at work.

The last thing I’d buy as a family hauler and grocery getter is a full size truck.

Im lucky enough to be able to use my fleet truck for the occasional home or yard project, which is nice… but before I had the truck, I found a way.

If you had a large property to maintain or large toys to haul - buying a beater/used full size truck would be the move. Otherwise, no thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Truck Wars.

So. Many. Memes.

Name:  Image1664993616.499872.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  113.5 KB
    Name:  Image1664993623.462253.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  128.1 KB
    Name:  Image1664993629.175057.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  161.8 KB
    Name:  Image1664993634.565939.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  108.2 KB

Git SUM!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

You're right, the excavator is the only thing you needed the truck for. I've never hauled an excavator nor do I anticipate the need to. And using trailers is easy, it takes a few minutes to hook them up and unhook them. And for that simple task you don't have to deal with an expensive truck and all the maintenance and expense that comes with owning another vehicle with an engine. If you own property you spend a few grand on a good utility trailer and it does everything a truck does, but way cheaper and way less hassle. Truck beds are a pain to get stuff in and out of (whether the camper is on or not), and trucks suck for hauling ladders unless you have a ladder rack, which further impedes the usefulness of the bed space. Roof rack on my Tahoe can easily take two extension ladders and three step ladders, all that is needed to paint a house. Cargo trailer with my equipment can be locked and left on site. Basically what you own is a VERY expensive cargo/utility trailer.

Now if I wanted to pull a giant ass fifth wheel, then I'd need a truck. And who knows, if I'm rich some day maybe I'll invest in a setup like that, because fifth wheels actually make some sense. But in the meantime I can't conjure a legit use for a truck no matter how hard I try.
    You're arguing against pickup trucks in favor of a Tahoe. A Tahoe is literally just a Silverado with a permanently attached topper.

So if I got a Tahoe, I'd have a vehicle that's just as expensive as the truck, requires just as much maintenance as the truck, gets similarly shitty mileage as the truck, but can't haul firewood, can't haul trash, can't haul lumber, can't fit 10 people + bikes, has a lower towing capacity, and doesn't do all the other useful stuff that a truck does. I'm not sold on this plan.

You're arguing against pickup trucks in favor of a Tahoe. A Tahoe is literally just a Silverado with a permanently attached topper.

So if I got a Tahoe, I'd have a vehicle that's just as expensive as the truck, requires just as much maintenance as the truck, gets similarly shitty mileage as the truck, but can't haul firewood, can't haul trash, can't haul lumber, can't fit 10 people + bikes, has a lower towing capacity, and doesn't do all the other useful stuff that a truck does. I'm not sold on this plan.
    But Hennessey!
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Or you've got my retired neighbor and her adult son who both drive current generation full size 4dr 4x4 trucks. Always look pretty clean too.

I have seen something in the bed of her truck exactly one time, and it was some NSF-style wire shelving units that could have been broken down fit into a sedan if needed. I think she eventually got a soft tonneau cover, so at least the bed doesn't spend the winter uselessly filled with snow.

Son eventually put some racks and a rooftop tent on his, but I'm still not sure I've ever seen him actually haul anything with it. Certainly never seen bikes or skis or anything tossed in there.

Just seems like a big waste of money to use as a grocery-getter and commuter car. You could buy a real nice crossover for a lot less.

I get daily driving it if you have a need for them and don't have money/space for multiple vehicles (my other neighbors use the hell out of their old beat up trucks), but the cost of something like a mid-tier F150 Lariat 4x4 is insane these days...a new one costs more than both of my family's cars put together.

I mean... you're not wrong.

A Tahoe isn't really just a Silverado with a cover on the bed anymore. It can carry 7-8 people, has independent rear suspension - which both makes it ride better and gives it a large amount of rear cargo space and a lower load floor, and is almost 2 feet shorter than the shortest Crew Cab Silverado.

You've identified the advantages of a bed vs. enclosed rear cargo area, but there are advantages of combined volume too. The most obvious is that you can haul more people (legally), which is useful if you already have 4 seats filled up and you have visiting grandparents or kids friends. The other is that the whole area is climate controlled. Depends on where you live, but where I am, you couldn't transport basically anything alive in a non-climate controlled part of the vehicle for part of the year.

The Tahoe tows 7600 pounds. OP mentions hauling family, dogs, mountain bikes, and camping gear. I think he would have noticed if he had a 25 ft boat he needed to drag around, so I doubt the pickups greater towing matters.

So it comes down to whether you care more about putting trash/wood/rocks directly in the vehicle or the ability to haul more people, have all your gear in a more secure climate controlled area, and have an easier time parking, driving in urban spaces.

I'm a big fan of my crew cab F150, but I'm not sure where I'd add two full size dogs to the mix, particularly if my kids were bigger than toddlers. With toddlers and a 25-pound dog, it works pretty well for me, but I also live in a town without a stoplight. Parking issues aren't a big deal on a regular basis, nor is the dreadnought-class turning radius.

Having spent a fair bit of time driving passenger vans for work, for your use case I'd be inclined to get a 15-passenger Transit, upgrade suspension and pull the last two rows of seats, but you have to be willing to deal with RWD. With good tires and a capable driver, though, you should be able to get one all of the places you described. An AWD van of another type would also be on my shortlist if most of them hadn't gotten stupid expensive.

The other thing about a pickup is that most of the cargo capacity is not climate controlled. If you actually fill all the seats, finding warm spots for all the ski boots gets annoying.

Sent from my SM-G892A using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusBrody View Post
    A Tahoe isn't really just a Silverado with a cover on the bed anymore. It can carry 7-8 people, has independent rear suspension - which both makes it ride better and gives it a large amount of rear cargo space and a lower load floor, and is almost 2 feet shorter than the shortest Crew Cab Silverado.

You've identified the advantages of a bed vs. enclosed rear cargo area, but there are advantages of combined volume too. The most obvious is that you can haul more people (legally), which is useful if you already have 4 seats filled up and you have visiting grandparents or kids friends. The other is that the whole area is climate controlled. Depends on where you live, but where I am, you couldn't transport basically anything alive in a non-climate controlled part of the vehicle for part of the year.

The Tahoe tows 7600 pounds. OP mentions hauling family, dogs, mountain bikes, and camping gear. I think he would have noticed if he had a 25 ft boat he needed to drag around, so I doubt the pickups greater towing matters.

So it comes down to whether you care more about putting trash/wood/rocks directly in the vehicle or the ability to haul more people, have all your gear in a more secure climate controlled area, and have an easier time parking, driving in urban spaces.
    Yeah - but a minivan does all of this stuff better.