Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    The bottom line is that every vehicle type involves trade-offs. Pick your poison.

Honda Ridgeline.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Yeah - but a minivan does all of this stuff better.

I mean, I also suggested a minivan in my first post in the thread. I think it's the ideal family/gear hauler.

I just love talking about vehicles so couldn't resist on weighing in on the truck/big suv debate.

I don’t want to wade into the merits of truck ownership again, but SLC has to be the worlds capitol of useless trucks. You can’t drive a mile without seeing a one ton with 8 inches of body lift and mud terrain tires with extra wide wheel offsets.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post
    Honda Ridgeline.
    Shirk is like, I think they are all antidotes to each other... I'm picking ALL the poisons.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusBrody View Post
    I mean, I also suggested a minivan in my first post in the thread. I think it's the ideal family/gear hauler.

I just love talking about vehicles so couldn't resist on weighing in on the truck/big suv debate.
    I fully endorse the mini van idea. If you don't need the utility of a pickup, mini vans are fantastic.

Although I still think pickup + commuter car ticks more boxes.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusBrody View Post
    The Tahoe tows 7600 pounds. OP mentions hauling family, dogs, mountain bikes, and camping gear. I think he would have noticed if he had a 25 ft boat he needed to drag around, so I doubt the pickups greater towing matters.
    Towing without a truck is somewhere the Euros really have us beat.

You can get something like a diesel VW Tiguan that is rated for towing 2500kg/5500lb in a fairly small package. Or hell, there was a Ford Mondeo (basically a Ford Fusion) that could tow 2000kg/4400lb.

There are a few options in the US at 3500lb, but anything more than that and you're looking at a truck or a full size SUV and/or piss poor gas mileage all the time. Also can't find many sedans/hatchbacks/wagons that are approved for light-weight towing anymore.

I'd totally rock a diesel minivan...they are not exactly mini anymore, but take an AWD sienna and throw a torquey little Mercedes or VW diesel in there?

We went
    F150 4 door to:
    Tow the camper,
    Haul the kids
    Get to and from the funner trailheads
    etc
    19 mpg with AT tires
    and a
    Toyota Highlander Hybrid to:
    Haul the kids and dogs and a grandparent when they are here
    Haul the kids and the soccer team
    Haul the bikes to less than remote trail heads.
    26 mpg with lighter AT tires
    25 mpg with those tires and a rocket box
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    What about Land Rovers?
    That's playing with fire. Literally.

I would swap my first born for a 2000~ 110 Tdi. But my experience with my old disco makes me hesitant. We test drove the new defender before getting into the XC90 and there was this immediate air of superiority over everyone else the moment you got in it. I loved it.

Chevy Traverse?

Basically a mini van but in crossover form. Three row seating plus cargo area, tows 5000lbs, AWD, has 310hp NA so you don’t have to faff with a turbo.

My sister had one and it’s been dead reliable and has plenty of smoke for legal road driving. 27mpg highway.

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    Shirk is like, I think they are all antidotes to each other... I'm picking ALL the poisons.
    That'd be the Subaru Baja. Bound to piss everyone off.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuntmonkey View Post

I would swap my first born for a 2000~ 110 Tdi. But my experience with my old disco makes me hesitant. We test drove the new defender before getting into the XC90 and there was this immediate air of superiority over everyone else the moment you got in it. I loved it.
    We could really put a Carmax or Carvana warranty / plan to the test.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    I don’t want to wade into the merits of truck ownership again, but SLC has to be the worlds capitol of useless trucks. You can’t drive a mile without seeing a one ton with 8 inches of body lift and mud terrain tires with extra wide wheel offsets.

Please tell me it's a mud terrain pattern on giant rims and no sidewall height.

Sent from my SM-G892A using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Stuntmonkey View Post

Come on. Discos aren't ~that~ bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Touring_Sedan View Post
    Come on. Discos aren't ~that~ bad.

Fresh cardboard under the Disco this week, eh?
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    You're arguing against pickup trucks in favor of a Tahoe. A Tahoe is literally just a Silverado with a permanently attached topper.

So if I got a Tahoe, I'd have a vehicle that's just as expensive as the truck, requires just as much maintenance as the truck, gets similarly shitty mileage as the truck, but can't haul firewood, can't haul trash, can't haul lumber, can't fit 10 people + bikes, has a lower towing capacity, and doesn't do all the other useful stuff that a truck does. I'm not sold on this plan.
    I can't even to begin to address the amount of wrong in this post.

Quote Originally Posted by XtrPickels View Post
    2. 4Runners check a lot of boxes, but they're pretty boring and common
    If the Xterra is still good for local stuff, keeping it is free aside from any repairs that come up. Hard to beat that - any repairs will still be cheaper than a monthly payment on something new.

For the second vehicle could you make the Sportwagon work for road trips with a small trailer? Something you could carry bikes/skis/camping gear. Lots of cargo trailers can be tilted upright against a wall in the garage. Or with an enclosed trailer stuff could be stored right inside it in the garage to not take up extra space. If the Sportwagon wouldn't work for this, sell it and replace with something else that could.

As for vehicles mentioned I've had both a 4runner and Sienna as rentals in the past. Was surprised how small the 4runner felt inside. Lexus GX470 is similar and you can often find them used with low-ish miles or babied. Would give you 4runner utility in a nicer ride that fewer people have. Maybe with a rooftop box and GOTOS'd out it would carry all your gear. I was more impressed with the Sienna. Wouldn't call it fun to drive but it was comfortable to drive and got good gas mileage. It did pretty well on Montana forest roads. With a lift and good tires it would be able to get to quite a few places. Lots of room inside, we had 2 bikes with bike cases and camping gear. This would be a solid choice if you can get over the minivan thing.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    I can't even to begin to address the amount of wrong in this post.
    I guess you can technically haul trash in the Tahoe if you don't care about the interior.

Ford Transit passenger van AWD. So nice to have room for everything inside; all the camping gear and 5 bikes or all the ski gear and still three rows of seating. Yes, it's a Ford but the 2.5L ecoboost motor is amazingly powerful and the 10 speed transmission is great. Easy to drive and I never want for power (last vehicle was an MB E500 wagon).

**forgot to mention; comes with an LSD, this paired with the AWD makes it surprisingly capable in the snow. Definitely among the best slippery road vehicles I've owned (including a bunch of fancy German and Swedish stuff).

FWIW: This is what I am referring to when I say "Light off-road"
    I don't think the minivans or low clearance wagons would work well here.

I was feeling strong about the truck idea, then realized I wouldn't want a topper because I'd lose a lot of the convenience of the truck, but I'd also want to sleep inside for these solo-trips to Moab.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170704_140616.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	2.05 MB 
ID:	428908

Name:	IMG_0765.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	891.1 KB 
ID:	428910

Name:	IMG_0742.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	308.0 KB 
ID:	428911
    Attached Images Attached Images  

My Alltrack can make that. Or my cx-5. But you need an nx-3500 or sprinter. Maybe a Honda Pilot.

I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Maybe I'm missing something, but that all looks fine in a Camry. Eco boost low roof transit would be sweet. Or a minivan with airbags.

I'm reluctantly truck shopping because I need a way to store and transport a snowmobile all winter in a town w/o much parking. If I find something I really like it'll get a softopper to get the best of both worlds come summer. More likely I'll buy a beater and move it when the snow melts.

Have you spent any time with a soft topper? I despise them. It was the worst of all worlds. Two dudes can pull a fiberglass topper pretty easily.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    Maybe I'm missing something, but that all looks fine in a Camry.
    Sheeeit - any vehicle short of a Lambo could make it up the roads in those photos. Including a minivan.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Fresh cardboard under the Disco this week, eh?
    LOL beat me to it.

We just had fresh shocks, new brake rotors, calipers and pads put into the 4Runner. I'm back on cloud 9 driving this thing around. The gas mileage is downright criminal but boy is it smooth.