Narrow roof box options?

I now have a Ford Transit from VanDOit, and need a long narrow roof box to fit on either side of the air conditioner. There is about 21 inches on either side but need to take into account the opening hinges. I can let it hang over the outside a bit, but one side has an awning that may interfere. The options from Thule and Yakima appear too wide (26ish inches closed). Are there other options out there?

I may have to raise the whole thing up with built up cross bars, but being a high roof van I feel like I am already touching the stratosphere.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

If you can load it from the back a Packasport box would get you the most room.

Their narrowest is 24".

Look @ Thule Alpine line, tend to be long/ thin.

Inno makes some narrow ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Sportrack Horizon Alpine is 21" wide. Mounting points are inboard a few inches, so you can cheat it to the side even if your crossbars don't go all the way across.

Pretty affordable too, should be able to find one in the mid $300s on sale. There's one in Amazon Warehouse for $253 right now if you want to take a gamble on whether packaging damage translates to damage to the box (they should still let you return for free it if it is too beat up--but who knows with large items).

They are made by Thule--its not some no-name crappy box. The main differentiator in my experience is that the crossbar attachment hardware is way less fancy than the fancy clamps you get on a high end Thule. Just metal u-bolts or bolt on brackets--no quick-release/tool-free adjustment, etc.

Probably not a big deal for a van install though. Wasn't a big deal for me either as I converted it to use T-track bolts that slide into my crossbars for a sleeker install. The box itself is well made and the locking/hinge hardware is the same you'd find on a mid-range Thule.

edit: I can find some pictures of how I rigged up the mounting plates for bolt-on/t-track install. But basically I permanently mounted the top/bottom plates using these screws and then cut a slot in the middle of one pair so that I'd have some adjustment room if the crossbars weren't installed at the exact right distance. But for a permanent van-install I might just use the included hardware unless a bolt-on setup is more appropriate with whatever's on your roof.

That Sporttrack Horizon Alpine might t do the trick. The mounting hardware is not a big deal since once it is on it will stay there. Any idea of the opening can be switch to the drivers side? I will likely mount two.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Skiguard is another option. I just ordered one for our XC90.

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    That Sporttrack Horizon Alpine might t do the trick. The mounting hardware is not a big deal since once it is on it will stay there. Any idea of the opening can be switch to the drivers side? I will likely mount two.
    unfortunately I think it is passenger only and would probably require some major surgery to make it work the other way (you could do it, but I think you would have to redrill every single hole)

could also just run it backwards.

Get wider roof bars. Mount one side of the box outside the rack mount.

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    This may have to be my final solution, but was hoping to keep things neat and tidy with the confines of the roof rack.

iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    You're only allowed to do that if the roof bars are at the exact height where you'll hit your head on them every single time you get in or out of the vehicle.

A narrow roof box

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	woman-relaxing-while-sitting-on-car-roof-JSRF01141.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	80.6 KB 
ID:	428532

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    I took a closer look at my box. The shapes of the shells are symmetrical and the hardware would all work in either direction. The spring-loaded lid lifters snap into place on the centerline and could just be flipped around.

But the holes for the hinges don't match the holes for the locking hardware--by my count you'd have to drill ~25 holes to convert it to driver side open (and drill out existing rivets)

So...maybe? Probably could do it in an afternoon assuming you have a tool that can place suitable-sized rivets (or use short binding barrels+screws like I linked above with some loctite).
    Last edited by singlesline; 10-03-2022 at 01:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    You're only allowed to do that if the roof bars are at the exact height where you'll hit your head on them every single time you get in or out of the vehicle.
    I offset mine to the passenger side. With about a foot of overhang I have lots of pissed passengers.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by boltonoutlaw View Post
    A narrow roof box

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	woman-relaxing-while-sitting-on-car-roof-JSRF01141.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	80.6 KB 
ID:	428532
    I'm good with this, but the wife might object. How many skis does it hold?

A bit of overhang is not an issue since it is on a high roof van. Too much overhang and it could be a 5.11 overhang move to load the box.

I am going to try a Thule Alpine pulse since it is the narrowest box currently on the market that opens both ways (that I can find.) I will order from REI and return it if I just can't make it work. With a little creativity and suggestions from the collective we will make it work.

iscariot