Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

National Park Timed Entry Reservations

The opportunity came up for me to visit Colorado next week, so naturally I figured I’d visit RMNP, and maybe do some hikes in the Bear Lake area, which I’ve done many times in the past. So, checking it out, discovered this timed entry reservation bullshit.

So I can, in fact get a reservation on days next week, but only at 4PM. Well, that sucks. Oh, well…

Quote Originally Posted by billyk View Post
    The opportunity came up for me to visit Colorado next week, so naturally I figured I’d visit RMNP, and maybe do some hikes in the Bear Lake area, which I’ve done many times in the past. So, checking it out, discovered this timed entry reservation bullshit.

So I can, in fact get a reservation on days next week, but only at 4PM. Well, that sucks. Oh, well…
    Just to clarify… it’s not like it’s the middle of summer. It’s fucking October. Kids are in school. Parents are back at work. I can’t get into the park any earlier than 4PM in the middle of the week???

Seems like a little over control at this point.. Yeah, I know, this is probably not news to most of you guys. End of rant.

Or you could drive in before they open.

Protecting places from people should be prioritized over protecting places for people. I fully support any and all efforts to throttle back the number of people who have access to these places.

Quote Originally Posted by Woo-Dus View Post
    Or you could drive in before they open.
    Ah! I was wondering if that still works, or if they had shut that loophole down. That’s the new plan!

Every day at 5pm they release more tickets for the following day. Just set an alarm and you'll get the tickets you want.

Edit to add: Make sure you have account set up ahead of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Adirondack View Post
    Protecting places from people should be prioritized over protecting places for people. I fully support any and all efforts to throttle back the number of people who have access to these places.

fuck off glademaster… nobody gives a shit what you support.

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    Every day at 5pm they release more tickets for the following day. Just set an alarm and you'll get the tickets you want.

Edit to add: Make sure you have account set up ahead of time.
    This is also good to know. Thanks!

Just to clarify… it’s not like it’s the middle of summer. It’s fucking October. Kids are in school. Parents are back at work. I can’t get into the park any earlier than 4PM in the middle of the week???

Seems like a little over control at this point.. Yeah, I know, this is probably not news to most of you guys. End of rant.
    It’s peak aspen and elk rut season up there… based on the number of cars going up Hwy 36 yesterday after lunch, Estes Park will be fucking packed for the next couple of weeks.

Apparently, from what I've heard, might just be hearsay, might be true, but I cannot totally confirm, but maybe, just maybe, there are hikes outside of RMNP. I know, it seems unlikely, so maybe there's some locals on here who can confirm.

Kinda sad, but I never even consider national parks as places to visit any more.

Tourist dumbass complains there are too many tourist dumbasses, but blames government for not opening floodgates. If floodgates were opened, he’d blame everyone but people like him.

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    It’s peak aspen and elk rut season up there… based on the number of cars going up Hwy 36 yesterday after lunch, Estes Park will be fucking packed for the next couple of weeks.
    This. It may seem like an "off" time, but it's actually a peak time.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    Apparently, from what I've heard, might just be hearsay, might be true, but I cannot totally confirm, but maybe, just maybe, there are hikes outside of RMNP. I know, it seems unlikely, so maybe there's some locals on here who can confirm.

Kinda sad, but I never even consider national parks as places to visit any more.
    Yeah, I plan on hitting a few other places around the state as well. But RMNP is one of my favorite places on earth.

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    Tourist dumbass complains there are too many tourist dumbasses, but blames government for not opening floodgates. If floodgates were opened, he’d blame everyone but people like him.
    Hey, I never complained about there being too many other tourist dumbasses like myself!

Yeah, I plan on hitting a few other places around the state as well. But RMNP is one of my favorite places on earth.
    All good, just giving you shit. I've honestly never even hiked in RMNP. Have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Adirondack View Post
    Do you know that the mission of the National Park System is to conserve these places?

^^ When my Grandparents moved from Iowa to homestead up near Steamboat back in the 1920s, they crossed the Rockies in their Model A using the Fall River Road. So, there’s kind of a family connection, I guess.

Hey, I never complained about there being too many other tourist dumbasses like myself!
    You did dumbfuck, because you were bitching about timed entry. Too many people for infrastructure = need to reduce people. You can charge more money, preassign slots, or have a shitshow.

There seems to be availability for next week at recreation.gov

Fortunately, RMNP is so much bigger than Bear Lake Rd.
    Go elsewhere before 9am and enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeless Sinner View Post
    There seems to be availability for next week at recreation.gov
    Yeah, I know. But only at 4PM. I already secured my 4PM reservation. But I’ll do one of the other workarounds mentioned above to see if I can get in earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    Do you know that the mission of the National Park System is to conserve these places?
    But I thought it was to provide amusement for the bipeds

Yeah, I know. But only at 4PM. I already secured my 4PM reservation. But I’ll do one of the other workarounds mentioned above to see if I can get in earlier.
    Perhaps I'm using the wrong date.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-10-01 at 4.36.02 PM.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	160.2 KB 
ID:	428329

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeless Sinner View Post
    Perhaps I'm using the wrong date.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-10-01 at 4.36.02 PM.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	160.2 KB 
ID:	428329
    No, that’s the right date.

Apparently, the times that are shaded out are what will become available on Oct 4 at 5pm. I just tried to change my reservation to one of those times, and that’s what it said.

Ok thanks for clarifying that. Hope you get your preferred entry time when they open those up.