Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    This. It may seem like an "off" time, but it's actually a peak time.
    Yup. October is the busiest month for a lot of our National Parks.

Im not much of a NP visitor anymore because of the impacts crowding has had but there's plenty of places to go outside of the Parks and off most peoples radar. Just try not to blow those spots up as well.

I feel the same way about skiing at places like JXN, Snowbird etc. that have become too popular for their own good but I'm a cranky old ski bum that was a young and optimistic ski bum in the 90's and doesn't like how things have developed.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeless Sinner View Post
    Ok thanks for clarifying that. Hope you get your preferred entry time when they open those up.
    Man, that was competitive! I did manage to snag a 5AM-7AM slot, which was all that was left after I was finally able to book. I kept getting error messages when I tried to modify my existing 4PM reservation. I finally had to cancel that reservation and book a new one. Well, that saves me from having to get there before 5AM, anyway, which was the other option.

Thanks for everyone who helped me figure this out! Now if I can actually hike to my target destination..,

I'm generally not much for tourista stuff. My Dad took us to RMNP when I was 1,2,3,4,5 etc. Some of my earliest memories. First place I drove within hours of getting my license. I could hike/ride/ski/drive around up there for days without getting bored. Have a blast.

I’ve done the hike up to Emerald Lake probably a dozen times, and loved it each time. Also been to Hiyawaha or however you spell it a few times. Looking to try something longer this time, provided the weather cooperates. Got my eye on Sky Pond, but will have to see how well I hold up at altitude.

There was a guy I used to follow on the internet who would hike up to the top of Flattop and then over to Otis in the dead of winter and build igloos for shelter and store supplies on the way up. He’d stay up there for weeks at a time. I’m not quite at that level.

I love RMNP for what it is, a big ass magnet. I can't imagine wanting to go there given the options. But to each their own.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by billyk View Post
    I knew that guy. Complete whacko, but so nice and inspiring. Smart too.

Got my eye on Sky Pond, but will have to see how well I hold up at altitude.
    Well, didn’t make it up to Sky Pond, although I got close. I got up to Timberline Falls, but then the trail turned into a steep scramble, with water running down the trail like a waterfall, and ice everywhere. I figured discretion was the better course of action. Not interested in breaking a leg.The mountains win again!

I have to say, that was the least crowded I’ve ever seen the park.

Since there was discussion. The NPS was created by the Organic Act of 1916, which states the following:

“ which purpose is to conserve the scenery and the natural and historic objects and the wild life therein and to provide for the enjoyment of the same in such manner and by such means as will leave them unimpaired for the enjoyment of future generations.”

The NPS has the responsibility to BOTH provide for protection of the resource AND provide for the enjoyment of them. This is obviously super difficult. That’s why they’re instituting all of the times entries.

Having worked in many national parks as a ranger, I can tell you tourists are fucking nightmares. If there aren’t parking spots, they’ll park on the meadows, the middle of the road, literally anywhere. They will take Photos of the beautiful flower meadows then tramp right across them. They will feed wildlife trail mix. They will leave soft sided coolers out for the bears to get into.

Limiting the number of people in the park at any given time gives everyone in there a better experience and helps existing rangers manage people better.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Adirondack View Post
    Protecting places from people should be prioritized over protecting places for people. I fully support any and all efforts to throttle back the number of people who have access to these places.
    When people cannot go to a place, they cease to care. Lack of care means lack of funds and when protections are threatened people just shrug.

This land was made for you AND me, you arrogant piece of shit.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

I picked up an icebox last winter but didn't get an igloo built. Gonna rectify that this winter for sure and build one in my back yard!
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

There are times that I am glad I am old and "been there, done that". I was just talking with a friend who I did all my shenanigans with back in the 70s and 80s. We agreed we will probably never go back to places like Zion or Yosemite Valley as they are just too crowded and all these reservation systems are too big a hassle. I am not saying they are wrong or unnecessary, just glad I have seen it and did feel compelled to go back. I just feel bad for the younger generations who have to deal with it all. I have been to nearly all the western national parks, many several times, and am content to poke around in all the odd little places that are just as cool and that we have been exploring, along with the big parks, for years. The big parks truly are the jewels in the crown of this country, but all the little diamonds around the jewels are worth the effort to explore.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

In a somewhat related note, it appears that you now need a timed entry reservation (they call them “appointments”) to enter the Melanzana store in Leadville. The earliest available appointment is currently in December. I guess they are trying to preserve and protect the endangered supply of fleece.

In a somewhat related note, it appears that you now need a timed entry reservation (they call them “appointments”) to enter the Melanzana store in Leadville. The earliest available appointment is currently in December. I guess they are trying to preserve and protect the endangered supply of fleece.
    So 2020.

Yeah, I’m just catching up.

Anyone know how long the line will be if I show up at 8:30am in mid August 2023? They have some construction projects going on Fall River entrance.

Going to go for it with no reservations. If we miss we will take a drive around the west side I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Rideski View Post
    Going to go for it with no reservations. If we miss we will take a drive around the west side I guess.
    I did not want to chime in since been a while myself so no real idea

Earlier the better in CO, pack in all the shit you need and please pack out. All the mapped shit will be busy. Look for a day picnic spot near, chill out, enjoy

All I got

Thanks. Yeah I've been a leave no trace kid since the early 90's. Douse and shovel others campfires on the regular.