Fishing The Uncompagre near Ridgway, CO

On Mon., I am supposed to take Hazel in to be spayed. If I do then I will be out of commission for a couple/few weeks. I am also interested in fishing the Uncompahgdre sometime in October. I have a credit at a cabin just north of Ouray that I don't want to lose. I think that it would be a good base to either ski or fish from, but I hear that fishing is very good between Ridgeway and Ouray (Paco). Any Unc fishermen on the board? Does it matter whether I wade in the middle or end of Oct.? What are the good flies this time of year? Nymphsand Oct. caddis? Place Unc stoke here.

Love this photo: (taken for the web)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-09-30 at 3.14.40 PM.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	484.2 KB 
ID:	428161
    Last edited by schindlerpiste; 06-06-2023 at 05:37 AM.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

I enjoyed this entire series of videos on fishing the Uncompahgre. The trout just keep getting bigger. Definitely on my things to do in the spring.

Bet you can't watch just one.
    Some serious fun to be had here.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Got to fish Pah Co Chu Puk and the Uncompagre this past weekend. It did not disappoint. Fishing alone so no worthy pics. The area of the Uncompagre State Park offers something for every angler. Of course, the beauty of the area between Ridgeway and and Ouray is phenomenal. Two ponds right next to Pa Co stocked with 12-14" rainbows and cutthroats. Plenty fly fishers as well as spinners throwing line. You can keep your catch here. Pa Co itself is amazing. Catch and release only. Lots of very smart 20-26" trout to be had. Not crowded at all on a Fish Free CO. State Park weekend. This was extra cool, as I did not have to buy a CO. license. Most anglers seen were very experienced. There were also spinners fishing river. Saw about 6-7 fish (big fish) netted in about 3 hours. The ponds/river provides a great family fishing day. One parent can fish Pa Co, while the other hones his/her skills with the kiddies on one of the beautiful ponds. Really fun place

Riggs, which is located in Ridgeway, is a fantastic shop filled with good folk and gear.