Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Want To Try: 160mm Cranks.

Any of you riding the shorties? Impressions beyond what we all know?
    165 was an easy transition, thought I would try 160 on the mullet for shits and giggles.
    Thing is, I can’t really find any. Canfield made good ones, so I am interested in a used pair of those. Brood (Spawn) makes some, but advertise them as being for kids, so I’m leery on an Enduro sled.
    Dev5 and Hope make some, but they are a little pricey to experiment with.
    Any tips I am missing?
    Suntour makes some that weigh 900 grams without a chainring or BB….
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

I'm running Canfield 155s on my Madonna. 30" pant inseam. Love em. Took a little getting used to from 165s but no problems 9 months in. Could have gone 160 but I wanted to feel a difference. Canfield GXP BB sucks, otherwise stoked. I'm using a 30t oval chainring for pedally stuff and 32t oval for gravity. 10-50 Eagle.

They've taken some rock strikes like a champ. Yeah, I still hit rocks occasionally but I'm in N AZ now and it's rocky AF.

I’ll buy a pair of Canfield 160’s if anyone comes across some.

155's on pinbike
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Quote Originally Posted by BigHerm View Post
    I'm running Canfield 155s on my Madonna. 30" pant inseam. Love em. Took a little getting used to from 165s but no problems 9 months in. Could have gone 160 but I wanted to feel a difference. Canfield GXP BB sucks, otherwise stoked. I'm using a 30t oval chainring for pedally stuff and 32t oval for gravity. 10-50 Eagle.

They've taken some rock strikes like a champ. Yeah, I still hit rocks occasionally but I'm in N AZ now and it's rocky AF.
    How do they feel on steep climbs? When I went to 165 a few years ago on my Canyon Strive, I immediately felt the difference (not in a good way) when shit got steep.

I like 160's on my emtb and i think id like 155's even more. Less dead spot spinning them so that keeps the power pulling. The motor gives more than any loss of tourque that a longer crank would give. Emtb im pedaling up or through more janky terrain so it definitely hrlps there as well.
    I put 165's on my mtb and it seems like close to a wash between the 170's and 165. I get a better spin and clearance so that makes up for the small amount of less tourque. Not sure on 160 on it though. Id like to try it. I run my mtb in mullet and full 29 and the loss of any advantage the 170 provides is more noticeable in full 29 fwiw. Id say im happy w 165 but curious on 160. Pretty sure id prefer 155 on the emtb

Sent from my SM-A536W using TGR Forums mobile app

Since the motor is doing all the work anyway, have you considered 143mm cranks?

https://www.1977mopeds.com/Moped-Ped...rms-p/1189.htm
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Brood (Spawn) makes some, but advertise them as being for kids, so I’m leery on an Enduro sled
    FWIW, there are no separate CPSC standards for kids components and everything has to pass full adult MTB safety standards. So, they are *probably* fine. Might be worth an email to Spawn.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Since the motor is doing all the work anyway, have you considered 143mm cranks?

https://www.1977mopeds.com/Moped-Ped...rms-p/1189.htm
    Pfft , Id need gold anodized

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    How do they feel on steep climbs? When I went to 165 a few years ago on my Canyon Strive, I immediately felt the difference (not in a good way) when shit got steep.
    Because of the reduced leverage, or was there another reason?

It is a little weird since you have to maintain a high(er) cadence. My climbing times stayed the same or got faster after adaptation. Different muscle feels for sure. Less hip soreness from the jump.

Steep, ratchety is pretty tough but I'm also on a heavy bike. Steep, loose fire roads really no big deal. Tech climbing finally doable on low BB bike with flats.

Who else makes a sub 165mm, 2 piece, MTB style crank?
    -Trailcraft
    -Canfeild
    -Suntour Zeron ($80!)
    -SRAM SX (OEM only?)
    -Hope Evo

Looking to take 170 cranks off of a my friend's sons XS Full Suspention MTB. His pedal strike clearance is stupid low.

See my post, those Suntour ones are 900 grams without a chainring or BB, I believe.
    Middleburn 160. Out of stock

Miranda cranks might be worth a look. Thats where i picked up my eeb 160 cranks

Buy 180s and drill/tap a new hole? I’m half serious

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    Buy 180s and drill/tap a new hole? I’m half serious
    I noticed on some kids bikes they do this. Kind of a good idea to allow you to fine tune which crank length you like.

I am jumping back and forth between 175 and 170 and even 170 were a gut punch for short mashy bits, but after a month I have gotten used to them and quite frankly on a FS bike with gear they make sense. Still keeping the 175mm on the single speed.

Quote Originally Posted by panchosdad View Post
    Because of the reduced leverage, or was there another reason?
    Yeah, they felt noticeably harder to turn over.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    Who else makes a sub 165mm, 2 piece, MTB style crank?
    -Trailcraft
    -Canfeild
    -Suntour Zeron ($80!)
    -SRAM SX (OEM only?)
    -Hope Evo

Looking to take 170 cranks off of a my friend's sons XS Full Suspention MTB. His pedal strike clearance is stupid low.
    Not cheap and I have no idea if they're any good, but these exist:

https://www.applemanbicycles.com/shop/2xr-crankset/

SRAM does this. My 165 GX cranks just have the pedal hole drilled further from the end. Crank boots (yeah) didn't fit and I got a bunch of crank strikes from the ends hitting stuff. Head scratcher at first cause I didn't feel like my feet were close to hitting the thing.

5Dev cranks are SICK

Guys whining about reduced torque don't know there's a shifter next to right hand. Or use a smaller chain ring.

Single speed guys have legit point though, but I'd think a rear sprocket swap would solve quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by SJG View Post
    Guys whining about reduced torque don't know there's a shifter next to right hand. Or use a smaller chain ring.
    The shifter doesn't ever reach that mystical 13th gear, despite my continued efforts to find it.

Quote Originally Posted by altasnob View Post
    I noticed on some kids bikes they do this. Kind of a good idea to allow you to fine tune which crank length you like.
    Like this:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-09-30 at 17.19.08.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	315.3 KB 
ID:	428168

Quote Originally Posted by SJG View Post
    5Dev cranks are SICK

Single speed guys have legit point though, but I'd think a rear sprocket swap would solve quickly.
    yeah I am snot sure it works as well on a SS.

Assuming you went short and you geared down I think climbing would end up being fine. Where I think issue SS would come is that on slightly DH and flatter tech section is it would be much hard to get your feet moving fast while standing. The SS experience is rarely sit and spin. Also I find I get way less pedal strikes on my SS because your cadence is typically slow, and its hardtail so its not compressing as much.

When I first got the 170s I just resigned myself to sitting and spinning, with in a month I was faster and I really like the less pedal strikes and how much clearance on the bike I have, that with gears I would be willing to try even smaller.

The shifter doesn't ever reach that mystical 13th gear, despite my continued efforts to find it.
    Somewhere a SRAM engineer just felt a delightful tingle...