Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    Kimmel is only kinda good if you’re as baked as he is

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    FIFY

"More people get their news from the daily show than any other news source". John Stewart: "DON"T DO THAT". Haha, always made me laugh.

I know I've told the story before, but... I was at an election night party in 08. We were flipping through the channels, but none of the major news outlets had the guts to call it for fear of repeating Gore! no Bush! no... no... no... So we parked it on the Stewart/Colbert election special and they called it for Obama. Thinking they were doing a bit, we quickly flipped through the networks, and they still weren't committing. A pair of comedians were better newsmen that night than the actual journalists.

A few minutes later, someone I'd never seen before, nor after, walked up to me and stated, "This is the first time in my life that I'm proud to be American". Then, like an apparition, he disappeared into the darkness.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    I know I've told the story before, but... I was at an election night party in 08. We were flipping through the channels, but none of the major news outlets had the guts to call it for fear of repeating Gore! no Bush! no... no... no... So we parked it on the Stewart/Colbert election special and they called it for Obama. Thinking they were doing a bit, we quickly flipped through the networks, and they still weren't committing. A pair of comedians were better newsmen that night than the actual journalists.

A few minutes later, someone I'd never seen before, nor after, walked up to me and stated, "This is the first time in my life that I'm proud to be American". Then, like an apparition, he disappeared into the darkness.
    It probably wasnt cono.
    In with the 9.

Cable shows are tough these days. A lot of people don’t even pay a cable bill so viewership will always be lower compared to 10+ years ago in my opinion.

I didn’t mind Trevor, I liked most of his intro segments and Ronnie Chang and those guys.

Hated his interviews, his rambling questions made me cringe, I stopped watching his interviews.

Does anyone find any of these guys funny, entertaining or informative? I can barely watch the clips people send me let alone a whole show.
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?
    fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

www.theguideshut.ca

His standup is good

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Amy Schumer should take the spot. She’s so freaking hilarious 🤮:

https://youtu.be/5UtXIhTRFLk

So cringe
    I’m gonna go out on a limb and say you’re probably not her audience.

Likely the same applies to people who think Noah is a “POS”.

go listen to a reality show host promote horse de-wormer if it’s more palatable.

Well, I really like Trevor.
    I guess the only caveat is that I like comedians in general.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

….

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    I’m gonna go out on a limb and say you’re probably not her audience.

Likely the same applies to people who think Noah is a “POS”.

go listen to a reality show host promote horse de-wormer if it’s more palatable.
    I like Schumer, but that was weak Schumer. Not a FoxNEWs fan.

At first I was butt hurt that they didn't pass the job down to someone more vested there in TDS like Samatha or Colbert.. But, Noah is smart, funny and genuine. It just got old... same infuriating shit... fucking infuriating and exhausting content material that needs to be delivered... If we give up, they win and the post truth world is here forever. Trevor did a good job of telling the truth. Let him take a break... Next..

This shit right here was GOLD!

https://www.indy100.com/politics/dai...jan-6-b1987958
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

The tabloids say he is dating Dua Lipa, which could be a full time job.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_fpxCuorKjA

Here is Trevor Noah at the White House corespondents dinner recently. Thigh slapping funny. The zinger at the end nearly made me wet my pants.

Stewart took the Daily Show and turned it into something new and unique. It started as sarcastic, fluffy celebrity coverage with Kilborn, and Stewart moved away from that (fairly slowly, at first). It felt like an organic evolution at the time, but it took a ton of vision and work on his part, and he had a great team behind him. Everyone remembers what TDS became fondly because it was refreshingly different.

Trevor Noah is entirely adequate and has his moments, but he hasn't created anything new. His version of TDS is just one of a number of shows that continue to walk the path that Stewart created. Which doesn't mean it's bad TV, it's just not that exciting or revelatory. And when TDS was essentially the only show offering pointed, humorous political commentary, it felt influential. Now, when TDS is one of many outlets offering that sort of commentary, that influence is pretty diluted.

What also made him unique and good was his African perspective on the US shit show.

I

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    What also made him unique and good was his African perspective on the US shit show.

I

Something I really liked.

Shockingly old white men don’t like Trevor Noah.

Like most things, your nostalgia for things past are rooted only in a fondness of your younger days and not because the product was better. Go watch some re-runs of Johnny Carson and see how long it takes before you actually laugh. That’s not to say he wasn’t great in his time but the idea his humor would hold up today is misplaced.

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    Shockingly old white men don’t like Trevor Noah.

Like most things, your nostalgia for things past are rooted only in a fondness of your younger days and not because the product was better. Go watch some re-runs of Johnny Carson and see how long it takes before you actually laugh. That’s not to say he wasn’t great in his time but the idea his humor would hold up today is misplaced.

Just like when SNL moved on from mocking black and gay stereotypes to dumb rednecks all of a sudden SNL ain't even funna no more..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Political division hurt that show the last 5yrs. There was a time when everyone watched tds, I think the show originally attracted all. And although it’s Hard not to knock everything going on but he wasn’t like Colbert mostly mocking shit, he preached. That made it unwatchable for any part of the other half.

Another career suicide. I’m sure he’ll do fine though.

Career suicide.

Riiiiiight.

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    Career suicide.

Riiiiiight.
    You know what I mean, He killed the show. Everyone liked Stewart, right or left. That was talent, and a different time I guess. He took his position way too seriously, he preached his moral baloney every damn day. Fuck that douche.

The good news is tds might actually be funny and chill again.

http://https://youtu.be/-JQU-A8_KyI

That link is missing a colon

Sadly prescient that Julia Louise Dreyfus played kamala years before kamala became VP

Quote Originally Posted by Cono Este View Post
    You know what I mean, He killed the show. Everyone liked Stewart, right or left. That was talent, and a different time I guess. He took his position way too seriously, he preached his moral baloney every damn day. Fuck that douche.
    While I agree that Stewart was universally enjoyed, I'm not so sure that it was Noah that killed the show, but rather the suits and the writing staff behind the scenes. As others have said already, Noah's standup can actually be really funny and the guy IS talented. Outside of the Daily Show, he's a much more likeable person. I'd say it was the show that brought HIM down and not the other way around. Much like SNL. There are some EXTREMELY talented, hilarious people on there, but too often these days, they're held back by the writers and execs telling them what they can and can't say. Compare that to the show's glory days of the 70s-90s when they could get away with SSSOOOOOO much more and the show was all the better for it.

Nowadays, corporate late night comedy be like:

Quote Originally Posted by billyk View Post
    Yeah, Stewart was funny. Trevor was hard to watch.
    Yea. Stewart let the news satirize itself. Noah beat you over the head with it. But maybe MF is right as I've seen Noah be super funny. Even the best performer can't fix shit writing.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.