Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    I always ride with gloves, and the ESIs / Wolf Tooth foam grips felt slippy to me. My hands sweat a lot though.

For smaller hands, I wear size medium gloves, and love Ergon GE1 Slims.

I dabbled with RevGrips (tried basically every one of their patterns) and found they don't do anything for me once I have bar roll dialed in. I had issues with the grips that had a lot of grip (i.e. half waffle) being too thin on the end, and the ones that were thicker on the ends (RG3) not having enough traction. When riding with them at the bike park, I found my hand slipping under and pulling my elbows down. Also, the outer lockring means I have to run bars 20mm wider than normal, and I clip trees with the ends of the bars then. I always run my hands on the very ends of the grips, so if there's anything beyond that, my brain doesn't take that into account for clearance.

I’ve been slowly converting the fleet over to the PNW loam grips. I like that they are a single, inboard lock on and they feel good and seem to be pretty dialed in gloves or bare hands. Also dig ESIs but the ends shred too soon for my liking

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    Silicon grips last a good while if they’re installed a skosh in from the end of the bar with the end caps installed to protect the bar. I haven’t torn a grip in a while. My riding is more playful than aggressive, though, so maybe that’s helping.
    ^ This. I've completely destroyed my bar end plugs ...but the grips are fine, because I do the same thing you do. The only time I've ripped a foam grip was when I caught it on a doorway wheeling it into a hotel room. If you've got bars over 740mm, you've got a few extra mm to not shred your grips.

Maybe it's the barehanded people who don't like silicone grips? For me it's the opposite problem: rubber grips are sticky and leave crap all over my hands and gloves. And the ones big enough for my hands are absurdly heavy but still don't absorb significant vibration.

Or maybe it's people with no grip strength who don't like silicone I work out, so if it takes marginally more effort to grip the bars I don't notice...but I sure notice that I don't ever have to stop because my hands hurt, not even after thousands of feet of babyhead jeep road descents.

For a while I tried wrapping my lock-ons with roadie foam bar tape. It felt really nice, but I couldn't stop the tape from unraveling no matter which direction or how I wrapped them, or how I taped the ends.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I want the pertection when I smack a tree cuz of the 800mm bars so I wear work gloves with big chunks of rubber on the knuckles, also good for punching walls or the odd bar fight

Bet you never even need to assert dominance at the bar, between the reinforced work gloves and the riding jeans with rag in the back pocket nobody's messing with you...

Quote Originally Posted by funkendrenchman View Post
    Any favorite grip for smaller hands.
    I have ESI Chunky's and can't really complain, but I might check out something different.
    As far as the ESI's go, I wear gloves and have no issues with grip. If I don't throw my bike on the ground they last just as long as any other grip.
    I'm really liking the ODI vapor. I have med hands and was playing with larger grips last year, including the chunky's, and ended up going back to thing grips which work well for small hands. Bonus: they're are usually under $20.
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post

Bet you never even need to assert dominance at the bar, between the reinforced work gloves and the riding jeans with rag in the back pocket nobody's messing with you...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lavender socks.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	786.7 KB 
ID:	429800

well i wouldn't say that cuz the lavender socks ( color taken off the SC website) kill my steeze

Lavender is the new Turquiose and btw ALL chicks dig that color
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    Silicon grips last a good while if they’re installed a skosh in from the end of the bar with the end caps installed to protect the bar. I haven’t torn a grip in a while. My riding is more playful than aggressive, though, so maybe that’s helping.
    Totally. I use the ODI alloy bar plugs for total protection of bar, grip, and myself. Smooth on your hand if you have an outboard grip and slip off trees and rocks if you tag one too. Way better than plastic plugs that're basically disposable. A good plug is kinda essential with slip-on grips to keep the ends intact and keep dirt out of them so they stay put.

Quote Originally Posted by funkendrenchman View Post
    Any favorite grip for smaller hands.

I have ESI Chunky's and can't really complain, but I might check out something different.

As far as the ESI's go, I wear gloves and have no issues with grip. If I don't throw my bike on the ground they last just as long as any other grip.
    Wolf tooth Razer and ESI Racer's Edge are the thinnest silicone grips, stated installed diameter is 30mm. Real world installed diameter of my Wolf tooth Razers is 31mm. They feel great for my small(er) hands. Next size up are Wolf Tooth Carve and ESI Chunky at a claimed 32mm installed. I tried the ESI extra Chunk at 34mm once and they killed my hands/arms. The thinnest silicone feel the best to me and I do prefer the Wolf Tooth silicones over ESI.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

Bet you never even need to assert dominance at the bar, between…the riding jeans with rag in the back pocket nobody's messing with you...
    WAIT! Is Brage XXX-er?!

Name:  765079C8-A52D-470B-AE73-EB4DC412CC46.jpeg
Views: 308
Size:  158.1 KB

there's no aqua seal so how could that be ?

I wear gloves and used ESI Chunky grips for years. Eventually was getting some wrist pain and decided to try something else - tried a few styles and clicked with the Ergon GE1 Evo. Seems to keep my hand at a better angle, particularly with wide bars, and ergonomics is more important than cushioning for me. YMMV.

Im sticking with my renthal push ons. Smaller diameter than lock ons and possibly more rubber more plush. Theyve done the trick. Finally. I get them from chainreaction but theyre not stocking the glue now. Ive used hairspray. Renthal glue works better. No wire and i can take them off on that rare occasion. Best evvarr....for me. 3 years now or 4?

Sent from my SM-A536W using TGR Forums mobile app

back in the day i used styling gel cuz thats what there was and its like hair spray right ? well not really cuz the grips went on easy but they got real slippery on the bar when ever they got wet riding in the rain and stuck again when they dried and they did that for many years

the last time i just poured some alcohol in the grip and pushed on before it evapd which worked

but loose grips/ fucking with hair care products/ safety wire is probably why i would rather have a lock-on grip

I really like the Ergon GA3. The little shelf is great for long rides and I think they allow plenty of finger wrap for control. They also last a really long time. XL gloves here, though.

My lady has Lezyne tools in one side and Lezyne plug kit in the other, so essentially metal bar end plugs. She does wreck on occasion and both have held up. The Ibis bars won't accept them so I'm just using plastic plugs, which I replace when they get trashed.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by beaterdit View Post

Wolf tooth Razer and ESI Racer's Edge are the thinnest silicone grips, stated installed diameter is 30mm. Real world installed diameter of my Wolf tooth Razers is 31mm. They feel great for my small(er) hands. Next size up are Wolf Tooth Carve and ESI Chunky at a claimed 32mm installed. I tried the ESI extra Chunk at 34mm once and they killed my hands/arms. The thinnest silicone feel the best to me and I do prefer the Wolf Tooth silicones over ESI.
    The Racers Edge are just about perfect for these hobbit hands. They’re just barely too thick when new, but squish down to the perfect size after a couple rides. Appreciate the info on the Wolf Tooth. I’m due for a new set on the hardtail and am gonna try the Razers.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

No questioning the convenience of lock ons. No going back though. Im disappointed i rode lock ons so long after settling on a stash of oakley slip on bmx grips back in the day(oakley dont make them anymore). Not going to use hairspray or wire either. I might try that alcohol trick but i think grip glue is the perfect formula. I still have some renthal glue in the tube at it seems to be still liquid but i'd like to keep a fresh tube in my tool box. The renthal slip ons are so much better in every way. Theyve been lasting really well despite the great grip and comfort

Far as I can tell alcohol completely evaps and leaves no residue while styling gel would slip even 20 yrs later, it was just an old bar bike so I would forget to deal with the problem until it rained, finaly replaced them

but its good to hear all the different answers and WHY ?? but YMMV

Alcohol is probably best to use before the glue app, after the alcohol evaporates. Rain or sweat after a long ride would probably spin a dry grip. Aquaseal?

Never had a slip-on grip rotate once installed using the alcohol method, I didn't even know grip glue was a thing! With 70% rubbing alcohol you get a bit of time before they set in place to adjust them exactly the way you want them. Once the alcohol is fully evaporated the grips are pretty much fused and I usually have to cut them off once they're shot, although I managed to transfer a set recently by rolling them on themselves and spraying more alcohol to get them off the bar.
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

I reinstalled slip-on grips on my kid's bike (after trimming the bars) with alcohol and they slipped a bit for a few days until the alcohol finished evaporating, and haven't budged since.

Quote Originally Posted by Andeh View Post
    I reinstalled slip-on grips on my kid's bike (after trimming the bars) with alcohol and they slipped a bit for a few days until the alcohol finished evaporating, and haven't budged since.
    I usually stick a couple zipties (lengthwise, not looped) between the grip and the bar after install to provide a bit of airflow and to leave a path for the alcohol to evaporate. Yank them out after a day or so and the grips never move again.

I shouldnt doubt xer at this point i guess. Thats x4 on the alcohol method. Love my slip ons

I 1st heard of the hairspray hack 30 yrs ago, maybe it works but I duno

I know alcohol works,

I know styling gel does not work

I would like to think I give pretty good tech beta or i will say I don't know or I keep my festering gob shut, I have written some tech instruction and I know you can't have thots or feelings ( or guess ) when you are telling buddy how to do something

BTW air compressor is the best way to mount slip on grips or quit fucking around and get lock=ons

Hairspray does work, but isn’t failsafe. We used it in the shop, and the cheapest stuff seemed to work best.

Almost always, the grips would stay in place fine, but if water does make it’s way between the grip and the bar the grip can work loose pretty quickly, and is very slippery at that point.

Wiring the grip can help prevent that, but if you’re going to do that, maybe using the proper glue is simpler?

To get grips off: if you have an air compressor get a nozzle tip between the grip and bar and shoot air while twisting the grip back and forth a little. Grip usually shoots right off (probably not with glue though)

Ya hairspray worked for a bit,w wire, but they ended up spinning in the wet. The glue has been perfect. Ill give alcohol a try most likely

Never had a slip-on grip rotate once installed using the alcohol method, I didn't even know grip glue was a thing! With 70% rubbing alcohol you get a bit of time before they set in place to adjust them exactly the way you want them. Once the alcohol is fully evaporated the grips are pretty much fused and I usually have to cut them off once they're shot, although I managed to transfer a set recently by rolling them on themselves and spraying more alcohol to get them off the bar.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post

BTW air compressor is the best way to mount slip on grips or quit fucking around and get lock=ons
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Barron DeJong View Post

To get grips off: if you have an air compressor get a nozzle tip between the grip and bar and shoot air while twisting the grip back and forth a little. Grip usually shoots right off (probably not with glue though)
    What these guys said. I use it to fine tune positioning too. Easy peasy.

I keep a spray bottle 50/50 rubbing alcohol/water and just use that. Works great. Like I said before though, it's also key to use a good bar-endcap to keep crap out of the end of the grip.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

I switched to LoamLab Single Clamp grips this summer and am done buying any other grips for awhile. https://www.loamlab.bike