Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    The worst thing about TT is that they are trailers and a pain to tow. We had on, and while it was great with the kids I was glad to be rid of it. We went to a Sportsmobile, and now a Ford Transit so I don't have to tow anything. All that said, my point is towing is a pain, so consider making it much easier and going fifth wheel. Everybody I know who had a trailer were much, much happier when they went to a fifth wheel. Way more room in less length, and if you already have a truck you are set for a tow vehicle.
    I grew up on a ranch, I have been towing things since I was 14 years old. I have towed fifth wheels, bumper pulls and both with a boat on the back (pulling doubles) in every condition you can imagine. Nothing like trying to back up a 6 horse trailer on a loggin road with the old man yelling at ya…
    All towing sucks, and if you plan accordingly then it isn’t as bad as most think. Also, their is no way in hell I am spending months on the road with my wife in a van, we would kill each other. I haven’t seen a 5th wheel yet that has the build I find durable enough for what I am after (along with the interior finishes that Mrs Teleee deems worthy), hence the Airstream….

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

This is probably too small for what OP is looking for, but I like this floor plan.
    https://escapetrailer.com/the-5-0-escape/

I've never towed a 5th wheel, but everyone says they do tow better than "bumper pull" trailers. Main drawback I see with a 5th wheel is taking up all that truck bed space with a 5th wheel mount.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

With sway bars and an equalizer hitch I don't find my trailer hard to tow at all. I just keep the trans in third gear at all times so it's not constantly switching into and out of overdrive. That's what a transmission guru told me, and I've been doing it ever since with great results. I usually don't tow faster than 65 mph because what's the rush.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    With sway bars and an equalizer hitch I don't find my trailer hard to tow at all. I just keep the trans in third gear at all times so it's not constantly switching into and out of overdrive. That's what a transmission guru told me, and I've been doing it ever since with great results. I usually don't tow faster than 65 mph because what's the rush.

Solid advice. Auto trannys especially need the RPMs, else you'll smoke the torque converter and send clutch material into the fluid stream and from then it doesn't take too long...

Santa Anna winds working against a 22' tagalong can smoke an 18-speed class 8 tranny if you try to pull it in too high a gear [without enough RPMs to cool it]. RVs typically lack the sectional density to benefit from their inertia like loaded trucks, so it's like towing a parachute and harder on the transmission than towing a similar weight in a denser package [like say a horse trailer].
    Boxy tag trailers are worse than 5th wheels in this respect, because they're too far back to benefit from the tow vehicle's aerodynamics.

And most RVers don't spring their WD hitches tightly enough. You want to create spring tension something like an open clothespin, to pin the fore and aft ends of the rig down and provide 1500lbs of "helper spring" to hold your headlights level and counteract the tendency for the lightened front end of the tow vehicle to bounce and oversteer from negative camber.

And those safety chains are worthless unless they are crossed under the hitch. They're supposed to catch the tongue and prevent it from plowing into the road and polevaulting the trailer into the air if it jumps the ball. They can't do that unless they are crossed under the ball with enough slack so they don't bind when you're trying to back uphill or jack it into a slot.

For fun, take notice of the chains on trailers you see. Likely half or more won't be hooked up correctly....

^^^Staying in 3rd gear is solid advice for towing with a 4-speed automatic, especially a lighter duty one like in a half ton. With a 6, 8, or 10-speed, obviously not the case.

I'm not using a weight distribution hitch or friction sway control on our travel trailer, so far. Will see how it goes after some longer drives and some crosswinds. Trailer has a GVWR of 3750#, and am towing it with a F350 crew cab long bed that weighs twice that much (and has some computer controlled anti sway system for the built in trailer brake controller). The truck is overkill for this trailer.
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    ^^^Staying in 3rd gear is solid advice for towing with a 4-speed automatic, especially a lighter duty one like in a half ton. With a 6, 8, or 10-speed, obviously not the case.

So obvious that it scarcely bears mentioning...
    And in case any of them forego your unquestionably sound advice and feel like they have to tow with their 10-speeds in 3rd gear because yeahman advised it, a vehicle on the interstate system traveling ≤15mph under posted [white-sign] speed limit must activate its flashers for safety.

You often see trucks using their flashers climbing a big hill if they have to gear down and go slow to get in a RPM range that both the engine and transmission are happy with.

I'm not using a weight distribution hitch or friction sway control on our travel trailer, so far. Will see how it goes after some longer drives and some crosswinds. Trailer has a GVWR of 3750#, and am towing it with a F350 crew cab long bed that weighs twice that much (and has some computer controlled anti sway system for the built in trailer brake controller). The truck is overkill for this trailer.
    True, that's a little trailer [it weighs less than my old seine skiff] that might have 500lbs tongue weight. What does your trailer manufacturer recommend?

Rule of thumb: If a trailer raises your headlight aim, then it's unweighting your front suspension and introducing more toe-in than it was designed to roll with, so it can benefit from WD.
    I know I can't even think about jumping up/down on the leaf springs of my F350 to unhitch a tight trailer coupling like I could on a half ton. But I don't weigh 500lbs either...

Quote Originally Posted by teleee View Post
    I grew up on a ranch, I have been towing things since I was 14 years old. I have towed fifth wheels, bumper pulls and both with a boat on the back (pulling doubles) in every condition you can imagine.

You didnt in BC, no double trailers allowed eh
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by highangle View Post

True, that's a little trailer [it weighs less than my old seine skiff] that might have 500lbs tongue weight. What does your trailer manufacturer recommend?

Rule of thumb: If a trailer raises your headlight aim, then it's unweighting your front suspension and introducing more toe-in than it was designed to roll with, so it can benefit from WD.
    I know I can't even think about jumping up/down on the leaf springs of my F350 to unhitch a tight trailer coupling like I could on a half ton. But I don't weigh 500lbs either...
    No idea on manufacturer recommendation on this trailer.

I had never thought about jumping on the back of a truck to un hitch a trailer. Gonna have to try that sometime.

My wife travels to dog shows a lot. We had travel trailers for many years, towed behind a Tahoe. The last trailer was a Zinger, and we had a weight redistribution hitch that provided a good deal of sway control, so didn’t think we needed a separate sway bar. That was a mistake.

Going down the freeway at 55 mph, she got passed by an 18 wheeler that must have been going 85+. The breeze from the semi passing by sucked the trailer over, and caused a sway that ended up jackknifing the trailer into the back right side of the Tahoe. Trailer suffered major damage and ended up being totaled. The Tahoe also had significant damage to the rear quarter, but was able to repair it without totaling the car.

Back passenger side window was blown out, getting glass all over dogs in cages right next to it, but luckily none of them were injured. The tow truck guy was amazed that my wife didn’t die in the crash.

Ended up counting as two claims on our insurance, one for the trailer and one for the car. That, along with another minor accident she had a couple years prior when the car ahead of her slammed on the brakes suddenly at a traffic light, and she bumped into them at low speed, which also counted as two claims caused our insurance rates to quadruple, because it shows up as four claims, even though it was only two accidents.

So, now she has a Class C.

Airstream Trailers

I grew up on a ranch, I have been towing things since I was 14 years old. I have towed fifth wheels, bumper pulls and both with a boat on the back (pulling doubles) in every condition you can imagine. Nothing like trying to back up a 6 horse trailer on a loggin road with the old man yelling at ya…
    Towing a 6 horse trailer with a fifth wheel?

I thought all weight distribution hitches had sway control. I've never used any of them though - only sway control I've had was a single side friction bar type unit.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    I thought all weight distribution hitches had sway control. I've never used any of them though - only sway control I've had was a single side friction bar type unit.
    Yeah, the two big bars and chains of the weight distribution hitch did help reduce sway, but not enough to avoid the accident in our case.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    You didnt in BC, no double trailers allowed eh
    Bunch of pusssies up north

Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

Bunch of pusssies up north

You don't just build a highway wherever you want in BC cuz you can't, there is a pretty clear difference leaving BC for Alberta where its flatter-than-piss-on-a-plate and you are allowed to drive a double, so its the BC gov saving you from yourself

Quote Originally Posted by billyk View Post
    Yeah, the two big bars and chains of the weight distribution hitch did help reduce sway, but not enough to avoid the accident in our case.
    This is interesting, I never knew of an additional sway bar. Seems like that would help if your weight dist. hitch is the chain style. Chains don't provide much sway control. Mine is the spring bar style (top photo), not sure I can add a separate sway bar or that it is needed. Might look into it.

https://terryoreilly.ca/terstream/

some of you may find this^^ interesting, I dunno if he on anybodies radar down there Terry O Reilly a guy who does the radio show " Under the Influence " does a frame up resto on an old Airstream, lots of pics

…but I did sleep in an Airstream last night.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1664649551.014809.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	1.39 MB 
ID:	428300

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    This is interesting, I never knew of an additional sway bar. Seems like that would help if your weight dist. hitch is the chain style. Chains don't provide much sway control. Mine is the spring bar style (top photo), not sure I can add a separate sway bar or that it is needed. Might look into it.

Yeah we got the bottom one, used, and it didn’t come with the friction sway bar, and we didn’t know shit. It did help reduce sway some, but clearly the friction bar was needed. Ah, well, we’re done with trailers now, thank god.

Airstream Trailers

Name:	Image1664939002.374711.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	230.5 KB 
ID:	428709
    Here’s our shiny heinie at a site on the upper Arrow Lk.

Name:	IMG_0457.JPG 
Views:	42 
Size:	280.3 KB 
ID:	428710
    Not too shabby after dark.

Name:	IMG_0460.JPG 
Views:	41 
Size:	203.3 KB 
ID:	428711
    No problem with the 1/2ton with some 20% grades on the forestry roads, notice the 3” lift (compared to stock).

Our WD hitch is the chain variety and so far have not needed any sway protection, but winds and tractors passing at 100mph aren’t an issue so far with us. When I first picked it up in Edmonton, I brought it home on the Yellowhead with just a plain hitch (and unloaded other than the fresh tank), and pulled fine. But as with any heavy load, anticipate and go a few paces slower than normal. But I’ve heard horror stories of people towing across the high plains and in big winds. Not fun and I would have found a spot to set camp until the weather cleared
    /armchair statement
    Last edited by BCMtnHound; 10-04-2022 at 09:31 PM.

Oh fuck this thread is turning into a hitch fuck. Take that shit to Airforums.

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f464/

A well hitched Airstream tow like a dream behind the right rig. Most trailers are hitched terribly and the drivers should be sent to jail.

Name:	75503486-3CDB-440A-A8FD-5B7717AEAACD.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	558.0 KB 
ID:	428713Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DC61A881-04D8-4B5E-89A5-030D1A7B9412.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	676.3 KB 
ID:	428714
    "Let's be careful out there."

Quote Originally Posted by Hood26 View Post

A well hitched Airstream tow like a dream behind the right rig. Most trailers are hitched terribly and the drivers should be sent to jail.
    But if you spend $1000 on a hitch...I kid.

I agree with you. In fact I never even used WD/sway control on my last 22' camper. Towed great behind our F150 including lots of windy trips.

I had an equalizer for a previous trailer though and I'd go that way again. Towed great and built to last.

Airstream Trailers

Truth.

Came across the Galena ferry and parked next to a brand new 28’ international. 2 ladies with their hounds in the Ram Laramie. Rear totally sagging, dealer set up their WD completely wrong (they didn’t even have the bars installed). And the driver/owner was complaining her brakes were smoking. She had no idea her 2017 fully kitted Ram crewcab 1/2ton had a tow mode, and could be manually shifted when desired. It was work to not ‘mansplain’ about some of the issues with her set-up. I mean, the first thing I did with my truck was read the directions when I was going to pick up the trailer. And the dealer in Airdrie AB must have saw them coming a mile away. I will not be stopping there for service. I do hope those two ladies made it back over the divide safe and get back to Ontario OK. And stay there :P

I’m sure they do. But, like you say, there are a lot of dumbfucks like me who should have been sent to jail. I’ve checked out a lot of other trailers on the road with the same hitch and a lot of them are also running without the friction bar. It’s something you don’t know you need until it’s too late. All I’m saying is don’t fuck up like we did.

I have had good luck with my Husky Centerline. It has sway and WD in one.

Sway control and a level trailer and TV are absolute musts for safety.
    "Let's be careful out there."