Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    They leak a lot less. There are way fewer chemically sealed seemed to remember to maintain.

Most models have a pantry for the cereal box. Mine even has a liquor cabinet.

The aero is a huge fuel saver. I can still get up to 18mpg towing if I am cautious.

The torsion axles are really good and handle rough roads well. A lift is pretty straight forward modification at a truck shop or even in the driveway for some models. Mine is sitting about 3in taller than stock.
    "Let's be careful out there."

Airstream Trailers

Quote Originally Posted by Hood26 View Post
    The torsion axles are really good and handle rough roads well. A lift is pretty straight forward modification at a truck shop or even in the driveway for some models. Mine is sitting about 3in taller than stock.
    This has been my experience. I did have to redo one of the propane lines that run along the starboard frame rail, but the lift itself was pretty straight forward, albeit I only had one axle to raise. I’ve heard some of the larger trailers are a bit more work to lift. The kit came as a pair of brackets, so posted the extra online and sold them within a day of posting. No issues with the dexter torflex axle on rough roads, but I have replaced the shocks. If the road to a rec site is not regularly maintained and a bit rough, I keep it to less than 10km and generally under 20kph, and bring the tire pressure down from 65psi to 50. The fridge is usually the first item to not like the rattling - we’ve replaced a couple door shelves and have since picked up removable bars (like small shower curtain rods that are adjustable with an internal spring) that are the saviour to keeping items where they need to be. Otherwise, keep the heavy stuff low and over the axles or just fwd. we’ve pulled her into some amazing out-of-the-way sites. Our provincial forestry rec site system is a treasure if you don’t mind going a few Km’s off the pavement or mainline gravel road.
    Last edited by BCMtnHound; 09-28-2022 at 11:12 AM. Reason: Damn autocorrect

Airstream Trailers

I have wondered about the storage - although we are pretty minimal in our current camper. My other thought has been the somewhat submarine type feel of the curved interior. On the other hand, the solid build is kind of trumping all those other concerns. I hadn’t thought of the lift, that is good information and something to certainly consider.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

IF I were in the market right now I'd be looking for something like this.

https://helena.craigslist.org/rvs/d/...538924799.html

^meh, there’s probably a good reason why those are so cheap. could be a nice option if on a budget

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

That linked trailer is my favorite floor plan - several RV manufacturers make one like that, with the rear dinette and a couch facing the dinette. Great hangout space. We decided not to get one because of the overall length - larger than what we really wanted. That's actually a pretty good price on that trailer, and the baja package is worthwhile for the ground clearance and bigger tanks.

It's not comparable to an Airstream or the fiberglass trailers - not even remotely in build quality. All the appliances are the same across RVs. It's the structure (choice of materials) and general assembly quality that varies.

We bought a used shorter Jayco trailer with the baja package. It's a barely used 2020 model, but needed a lot of repair and upgrades to be usable: every screw was loose, every plumbing attachment was loose, had to replace the shower fittings and shower head, toilet valve was broken, kitchen sink leaked (unrepairable - replacement from Lowe's), needed caulk in several spots along the sides and on the roof, bathtub P trap was broken and the bathtub drain flange leaked from the seal.

As a preventative measure, a few days ago I stripped all the shitty factory caulk from the front edge of the roof along the seam where the front aluminum siding meets up with the rubber roof - covered that seam with a 4" strip of Eternabond tape. It'll never leak now. IMHO rubber roofs are garbage, would much prefer an aluminum one.

All said though, the trailer has sufficient space inside while being the smallest non slide out one we liked, and has a regular household queen bed. And has about 10-12" of ground clearance, which is important to us because we generally do not camp in campgrounds. It was $14.5K used, so I'll put up with some shitty build quality to decide if I like travel trailers, for a relatively small purchase price.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post

Looks like a decent build, but appliance details are where the money and headache will start. Hot water tank or on-demand? Converter and inverter details. ‘Ready for solar’, so there’s another couple grand for purchase and install of panels and controller. Battery type and status. Etc, etc. And as mentioned with the squares, after 5yrs use look for leaks, especially if it wasn’t stored under cover.

Quote Originally Posted by BCMtnHound View Post
    Looks like a decent build, but appliance details are where the money and headache will start. Hot water tank or on-demand? Converter and inverter details.
    IMHO appliances are not where the headaches are going to arise in the stick and tin trailers. Most will not come with an inverter, just a converter - usually WFCO. The fridge will be a 3-way Dometic or Norcold. The hot water heater will be propane, 6-gal tank, probably Atwood or Suburban (ditto for the stove). Furnace will be some forced air propane thing. All of these are adequate, nothing terribly expensive to operate or repair or even replace. Same RV appliances that have been in use for decades.

Furrion is generally crap though...

The headaches are water intrusion and resulting rot or delamination if the trailer has Luan type siding. And general shitty build quality, like cheap bonded leather disintegrating, staples popping out, that kind of shit.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

I don't know, I paid 12k for my 2017 Keystone Hideout which I suppose could be considered "cheap" and I haven't had a single issue with it. Outdoorsman build, solar ready (charges great), queen bed and 2 bunks, only thing I don't like is the mini fridge. Definitely liked the full size fridge-freezer we had in our old class C. Single axle, only weighs 3300 pds.

And I agree that the layout of that Baja is the best non-slide floor plan you can get. Walkaround queen bed is nice, and separation from dinette/sofa area means one person can stay in bed while the other (me) is up early having coffee and reading. My next trailer will have that exact layout when the kids are no longer camping with us.

ETA and in the winter I strap a big tarp on the roof to prevent snow from sitting up there. No leaks.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    IMHO appliances are not where the headaches are going to arise in the stick and tin trailers. Most will not come with an inverter, just a converter - usually WFCO. The fridge will be a 3-way Dometic or Norcold. The hot water heater will be propane, 6-gal tank, probably Atwood or Suburban (ditto for the stove). Furnace will be some forced air propane thing. All of these are adequate, nothing terribly expensive to operate or repair or even replace. Same RV appliances that have been in use for decades.

The headaches are water intrusion and resulting rot or delamination if the trailer has Luan type siding. And general shitty build quality, like cheap bonded leather disintegrating, staples popping out, that kind of shit.
    I fucking despise Dometic. Try getting parts from those euroassholes
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post

I agree that total cost of water intrusion is higher, but that can be suffered during a few days of camping. But lose your fridge (hopefully only 2 way or add the house batteries to the early replacement list), or the power converter die, or the furnace fraps out on a cold front, and the lady will demand heading home real quick.

And yes, fuck dometic.

I’ve only ogled the airstream floor plans on line. I like the separate toilet and shower, this is a good idea for couples. The wife will not even entertain the idea of one of those combined shower and toilet things, like in the Casita. The 23 foot Escape has the separate toilet and shower

I’ve only ogled the airstream floor plans on line. I like the separate toilet and shower, this is a good idea for couples. The wife will not even entertain the idea of one of those combined shower and toilet things, like in the Casita. The 23 foot Escape has the separate toilet and shower

The holy grail of life is to shit before you shower. The genius of a combined shower / toilet is when you realize halfway thru a shower that you need to take a shit, you’ll be rejoicing not regretting.

I think she can be convinced.

Airstream Trailers

Quote Originally Posted by irul&ublo View Post
    I fucking despise Dometic. Try getting parts from those euroassholes
    Just to emphasize. $300 plus shipping for a cheap AC shroud that only lasts 10yrs. $80 for a small fridge shelf.

Go dinosaur electronic for any control boards, progressive dynamics over parallax converters.

And these guys are great for any 2nd hand parts: https://youngfartsrvparts.ca/

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    25' is also where they step up the wider width vs 23' (the smallest two axle). We did extensive research when thinking about full-timing a few years back. The 25' and bigger have a lot of tongue weight, so I'd consider a 3/4 ton or larger for a tow rig
    Maybe check out the 25' Bigfoot. Very high quality and not fragile like the Airstream
    https://www.bigfootrv.com/2500-series/b25-trailer

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post

Pretty much what we are rolling with now. The quality of the interior is just meh. It is fine for our current use, but the long term goal is to be spending weeks and even possibly months at a time in the camper. So far the only trailers I have seen that have all the luxury and durability we want is an Airstream. I have not checked out the Bigfoot, I will do some looking. Remember, this thing has to be approved by Mrs Teleee too, not just a bunch of TRG dentists.

Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

Quote Originally Posted by teleee View Post
    Remember, this thing has to be approved by Mrs Teleee too, not just a bunch of TRG dentists.
    Umm, anyone that knows your dirtbag ass would know this is her decision. I've seen what you will accept for accommodations in KW.

Get the Airstream. You deserve it. Do the lift, no ragrats.

Come pick this up in Tampa and we can park it on Stock Island and not catch Tarpon together like old times.

https://airstreamtampa.rvone.com/use...LYU31YJ513164/

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    ^meh, there’s probably a good reason why those are so cheap. could be a nice option if on a budget

They were all that cheap in 2019. I remember browsing thousands of adds then, then within a year they tripled. (Jayco is pretty mediocre)

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Telee,

I’ve got a nice spot in the woods to park your camp trailer. In your travels you should swing through Northern Wisconsin and go musky fishing.
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Quote Originally Posted by warthog View Post
    Umm, anyone that knows your dirtbag ass would know this is her decision. I've seen what you will accept for accommodations in KW.

Get the Airstream. You deserve it. Do the lift, no ragrats.
    The most accurate thing stated on this thread so far, I can sleep anywhere, especially if I am chasing tarpon.
    I guarantee you that said trailer will be arriving on Stock Island to chase the silver king! However that behemoth you posters may be a little bit to large for our taste!

Harry, DEAL I would love to post up in your neck off the woods for a bit and chase musky, and as you know Mrs Teleee will probably outfish us both.

A friend just picked up an Anti Shanty. Good ole UT company:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGxr8Q3mqOA

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-09-30 at 8.35.01 AM.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	463.4 KB 
ID:	428115
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

The worst thing about TT is that they are trailers and a pain to tow. We had on, and while it was great with the kids I was glad to be rid of it. We went to a Sportsmobile, and now a Ford Transit so I don't have to tow anything. All that said, my point is towing is a pain, so consider making it much easier and going fifth wheel. Everybody I know who had a trailer were much, much happier when they went to a fifth wheel. Way more room in less length, and if you already have a truck you are set for a tow vehicle.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot