Shooting POV for Wrenching

So although I'm halfway through a big car repair, it kind of just dawned on me that perhaps I should document the whole misadventure, at least what's left. Not just for my own reference, but to serve as a guide help others. It's gone so sideways that I have learned SO much on it, that I have yet to see a video or online tutorial anywhere that is anywhere nearly as thorough as what I aim to present. I always appreciate good YouTube wrenching tutorials, so thought I might return the favor. Something along the lines of those great FCP Euro ones where they note tools needed, torque specs, and such. So many car repair videos are kind of bad. Can't blame 'em. It's damn tough to turn a wrench in a tight spot and hold a camera at the same time, they're rarely edited either, but often do offer valuable info, although many are entirely worthless. Which brings me to now. Considering maybe springing for a GoPro or similar to shoot POV footage as I continue on through this project and future ones.

I don't know where to start, though? Chest harness? Shoulder? Might do some driving footie too. This current project's going to probably end up having to get dyno'd and custom tuned, so would be fun to show that process, but that's easy enough. I have both Adobe Premiere and Apple iMovie for when I wanna whip out real quick edits, so I'm good on the editing side. I have another broke down car that will really get this new channel launched, so might actually make something useful of this whole hair-brained idea.

School me on POV!

I would maybe find a few people on the YouTubes that you like, and get a sense of what they are doing. There's lots of different styles out there.

A couple of things off the top of my head to think about:
    1) Light. You'll need a lot more light than you do for just doing the work. Especially things deep into an engine compartment. There are good magnet lights, cheap shop lights, etc, but you'll want to think about it for every angle you're working.

2) Time. It's going to take at least twice as long to do things if you want to film them.

3) Start with the end product in mind. Don't just shoot a bunch and hope you can cut it together into something worthwhile after the fact. Even a little time thinking about the end video will help you make sure you get what you need while you're doing the work.

4) Audio. Nothing makes videos unwatchable more than bad audio. Probably worth getting some sort of mic to record with, or plan on doing voiceover after the fact.

Edit: 5) I would maybe forgo the chest or head mount and get one of the clips that GoPro sells. They are both a clip and magnetic, so you can basically stick it anywhere. Probably will just have to experiment a lot and see what works for you, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    I would maybe find a few people on the YouTubes that you like, and get a sense of what they are doing. There's lots of different styles out there.
    Yeah. When it comes to this project, FCP Euro's one of the few I've liked. Car Ninja is awesome too, but he's BMW. There's like 2 good Volvo guys, which is the tiny niche I'm aiming to fill. Lots of info still to be shared.

1) Light. You'll need a lot more light than you do for just doing the work. Especially things deep into an engine compartment. There are good magnet lights, cheap shop lights, etc, but you'll want to think about it for every angle you're working.
    Good point. I have bright shop lights, but the light is terrible for deep down. Kind of too focused. Will definitely need to address lighting. Just the excuse I need to buy some better stuff for wrenching anyway.

2) Time. It's going to take at least twice as long to do things if you want to film them.
    Lol. AT LEAST twice. Part of what's taking me forever on this particular job is I've been stopping at every step to write down what I did and how I did it. Video's going to add sooooo much time to that. And editing even more so. I'm familiar with the process having helped teh wife cut a bunch of her YT vids but have not done any for wrenching purposes.

3) Start with the end product in mind. Don't just shoot a bunch and hope you can cut it together into something worthwhile after the fact. Even a little time thinking about the end video will help you make sure you get what you need while you're doing the work.
    Yeah. I was thinking I'd do individual projects. ie How to change a head gasket, timing belt, battery, etc. Now the head gasket job encompasses an absolute shit ton of items, so I can cut that 4 hour video down to a bunch of smaller ones for individual jobs like accessory belt or tensioner jobs.

4) Audio. Nothing makes videos unwatchable more than bad audio. Probably worth getting some sort of mic to record with, or plan on doing voiceover after the fact.
    SO true, and perhaps this is the most common issue with 99% of automotive videos. SO many with bad audio. Wife and I already do separate audio with an external high quality mic and know how to work that in for her videos, so I'll probably do the same for this.

Edit: 5) I would maybe forgo the chest or head mount and get one of the clips that GoPro sells. They are both a clip and magnetic, so you can basically stick it anywhere. Probably will just have to experiment a lot and see what works for you, though.
    OH! I did not even know that such a thing existed. Perfect! See? This is why I ask the resident experts. Thanks!

Rad. Sounds like you know what you’re doing if you’ve shot for YT before. Excited to see the results!

Rad. Sounds like you know what you’re doing if you’ve shot for YT before. Excited to see the results!
    Thanks! Yeah, we've done some lots of basic multi-cam, editing, and what not, but this is likely going to be far more challenging due to the nature of the beast. Embarrassing as it's going to be, hopefully it will be worth the effort. YouTube's been incredible for how-to's, but geez you have to sift through a lot of garbage before piecing together tips from the like the 3 best ones to finally put the puzzle together. I think I have a leg up because I have actual factory tech manuals. My videos are NOT meant to be short, click-baity bullcrap. They're going to be long and boring, step-by-step technical vids that should be more practical than most of what I've seen out there. That said, I better think up a good disclaimer. Maybe something at the beginning like "I am not a trained, certified technician. Just your average shadetree idiot. This advice should not be followed by anybody. Take your vehicle to a professional if you don't feel comfortable and not willing to screw something up. Wrench at your own risk."

Side topic: Is anybody else annoyed that YouTube did away with the downvote counter?! It has made it SOOO much harder to sift through all the bad videos to find the good stuff.

Try a #grillmount from The Pro Standard for hands-free POV

Quote Originally Posted by boltonoutlaw View Post
    Try a #grillmount from The Pro Standard for hands-free POV
    I saw that, and might be good for short shots, but would definitely be annoying for anything longer than like a minute, right? Might be just the ticket for those REALLY tight spots, though.

Holy shit dude. I mean this in the best possible way, but you need professional help. Two non-functional cars and you want to commit to doubling (or more) the already long time it's going to get them functional and spend a bunch more time editing the footage, all so they can get 5 views on YouTube. From the outside looking in it seems pretty insane for someone with a day job and a family.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Holy shit dude. I mean this in the best possible way, but you need professional help. Two non-functional cars and you want to commit to doubling (or more) the already long time it's going to get them functional and spend a bunch more time editing the footage, all so they can get 5 views on YouTube. From the outside looking in it seems pretty insane for someone with a day job and a family.
    It is insane. 100%. Just tryna turn lemons into lemonade, ya know? And honestly, if it helps out even just those 5 viewers, that's good enough. I have zero time to edit right now since I'm ALSO in the middle of building out a room addition, so planning on just filming stuff now then doing edits maybe this winter.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using TGR Forums mobile app

Do it 'cuz it makes you happy. Fuk tha noize

Oh, and a fun side note. I am meeting with my machinist tomorrow AM to record a quick guide of my cylinder head adventure.

Quote Originally Posted by boltonoutlaw View Post
    Do it 'cuz it makes you happy. Fuk tha noize
    Lol. Thanks bro. That about sums it up. I have zero delusions about becoming a YT star. That ain't happening. Just enjoying the journey of my progress and hoping to share a bit of what I've learned. This current car saga has actually been surprisingly interesting. At least for me. My wife is less amused though. She just wants her car back. LMAO 🤣

Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    It is insane. 100%. Just tryna turn lemons into lemonade, ya know? And honestly, if it helps out even just those 5 viewers, that's good enough. I have zero time to edit right now since I'm ALSO in the middle of building out a room addition, so planning on just filming stuff now then doing edits maybe this winter.
    I said you'd get 5 views, not that 5 people would actually put the information to good use

Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    My wife is less amused though. She just wants her car back. LMAO 🤣
    Looking forward to YT divorce tutorials in the Tammy Wynette thread

I said you'd get 5 views, not that 5 people would actually put the information to good use

Looking forward to YT divorce tutorials in the Tammy Wynette thread
    Ha! I hope not. FTR, decided to hold off for now on filming my C30 project since I just need to get on with it. I will be doing it all over again on my S60, minus a mystery motor and delay after delay hopefully, so will just do it later. Have LOTS more upcoming C30 projects I can film, though. After I successfully get it running, I'll be ordering an upgraded intercooler, maybe doing some little turbo upgrades, tires, brakes, suspension, etc. Project's been a pain in the dick, but it's honestly been really fascinating, thus why I thought it could be cool to document it and share with anybody who cares. Even if it's just like 2 people from the wrenching thread. The journey's been too long for a TR, so thought it'd be easier to talk about on video format. Long and the short of it is evidently my car might be the first to have the particular engine in that particular vehicle, which certainly explains why it's SO much more potent than it should have been, and also may have led to some of the vehicle's failures too as other things weren't addressed to accommodate said engine. Once I get it running again, then I'll be taking care of what should have happened to begin with. It's been nuts. Honestly fun, but my wife is understandably very much over it. Haha.

Glad you came to your senses, that's a way more sensible approach. The C30 will be a hoot when you're done.

Glad you came to your senses, that's a way more sensible approach. The C30 will be a hoot when you're done.
    Lol. Thanks. Almost done with it! ....hopefully. Wife's also glad I'm holding off on my plans for a new YT channel, however I've recently come across some complications (that I resolved) that I really wish I had on film to help others. There was NOTHING on YouTube describing my weird issue with my VVT hubs and the installation is pretty much like nothing else so info was slim. Between my Volvo technical manuals and a forum member, we figured it out. SO much great content over time I wish I could have documented to serve as a guide for others, ya know? Oh well. Another time.