Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Still holding out hope for Hilaree, she is an incredible woman, an outstanding athlete and most of all a loving mom to 2 sweet sons. I've known her for 20 years and this is crushing news.

Potentially what Aqua was alluding to:

https://everestchronicle.com/all-ava...f-for-the-day/

...However, search and rescue operations to locate the missing legendary mountain skier Hilaree Nelson has been called off for the day. The helicopter went out at 7 am, which continuously searched on the south slope of the mountain. Her partner Jim Morrison was in the helicopter to locate her.

Nelson and Morrison stood atop the summit of Manaslu at 11.30am local time on Monday. They started skiing down from the top as planned. However, Nelson’s ski blade skidded off few meters below the peak and she fell off the other side of the peak, according to Jiban Ghimire of Shangri-La Trek, Nelson’s outfitter. It could be an estimated 3000-meter free fall from the peak.....

This sucks. Hoping for a miracle.

Quote Originally Posted by cravenmorhead View Post
    Ski blade?
    I interpreted it as she lost a ski
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Quote Originally Posted by cravenmorhead View Post
    Ski blade?
    Seems to be a commonly misused term in this space. I re-read the SI article about their Lhotse descent last night and it's in there too. Ski blade = ski.

AP / Colorado Sun now reporting she fell off the mountain (same source): https://coloradosun.com/2022/09/27/h...on-fall-nepal/

This is just awful.

Sad news. Hope there is some sort of miracle happy outcome!

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Just realized it's been 10 years (this week) since Plake and Greg Hill almost died in the huge Avy on Manaslu that killed Rémy Lécluse

Quote Originally Posted by ex-powderbroker View Post
    I interpreted it as she lost a ski
    Or she lost an edge more likely.

Terrifying and sad.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Yeah, I thought maybe a bad translation of "ski edge." Ug.

Checking this thread hoping for better news. Fuck. No words.

Witness account observed Nelson was caught in an avalanche from the summit.
    https://www.instagram.com/p/CjAByk4I...d=MTA0ZTI1NzA=.

Fingers crossed, not too many stronger people on the planet to survive some tough hours in the mountains...

Quote Originally Posted by abcdethan View Post
    Witness account observed Nelson was caught in an avalanche from the summit.
    https://www.instagram.com/p/CjAByk4I...d=MTA0ZTI1NzA=.

That doesn't say she witnessed it, it says she was with Jim only looking for a heli, but thanks for posting it, I'm sure she got the story straight from Jim then.

-pedantic guy

Thoughts and prayers that they can somehow find her when the weather window opens and she is able to survive any injuries she may have sustained! Good luck Hilaree and Jim!
    Magic Mountain Freeride Team...bringing your grom's game to the next level.

The only ski you'll ever need...http://worthskis.com/skis/the-magic/

"Errare Humanum Est"

Fuck. Hoping for a miracle. Absolute badass through and through.

swing your fucking sword.

Quote Originally Posted by alpinevibes View Post
    Just realized it's been 10 years (this week) since Plake and Greg Hill almost died in the huge Avy on Manaslu that killed Rémy Lécluse
    Yes. A sad reminder of that day. I was trekking manaslu that year shortly after that event. I recall seeing the crown, terrifyingly big even from a distance. Total respect for the tough men and women who push themselves at that altitude. So strong and driven.

Still hoping for a miracle here…

I have been following Hilaree's career for close to 25 years. She was a superhero to me. I will miss her.

Awful.

Hoping for some kind of miracle but I don't think it's likely. Still, maybe, just maybe it's not her time. She's one of the greats, many of whom we've lost way too soon.

Between a rock and a soft place. Aberdare and The Brecon Beacons, Wales
    Confirmed

RIP

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-63059776

A search team in Nepal has recovered the body of famous US ski mountaineer Hilaree Nelson from near the summit of Mount Manaslu in the Himalayas.

Nelson, 49, was descending the world's eighth highest summit with her partner when she went missing on Monday.

Rescuers found her body on the south face of the 8,163m (26,781ft) peak on Wednesday. Earlier reports said she had fallen into a crevasse in a glacier.

Nelson was regarded as one of the finest mountaineers of her generation.

In 2018, she and her partner Jim Morrison became the first people to ski down Mount Lhotse in Nepal, the world's fourth-highest peak.

She is also the first woman to climb both the world's highest mountain, Everest, and Lhotse, which is adjacent, in a single 24-hour period.

Morrison and three Sherpa guides were dropped by helicopter to recover Nelson's body from about 6,000m on Manaslu on Wednesday morning, expedition organisers said.

"The body has been brought to base camp. After completing necessary legal procedures, it will be airlifted to Kathmandu," said Jiban Ghimire, managing director of Shangri-La Nepal Trek, the Kathmandu Post reported.

Earlier helicopter search attempts had been unsuccessful, and hampered by bad weather.

On the same day Nelson went missing, one person was killed and more than a dozen injured in an avalanche lower down on the same peak.

She is reported to have fallen into a deep crevasse in the ice only 15 minutes after reaching the summit of Manaslu, according to witnesses.

A local guide that had been working with the couple told Outside magazine that other climbers who were with them reported that "her ski blade skidded off and [she] fell off the other side of the peak".
    ​I am not in your hurry

Just horrible. My thoughts go out to all of family (particularly her kids), close friends, and extended loved ones.