Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Doremite View Post
    Good question. For me, it is exertion. I describe a ski as demanding when it requires a ton of physical effort to control. When in shape/not yet exhausting yourself the ski is really responsive and you’re on your game but…. as soon as you tire / get lazy the ski reminds you there is an battle for control at play. You are taking the ski down the fall line or it is taking you.
    “Demanding” skis tend to suit physically strong in-shape balanced skiers that know how to turn a ski.
    This is how I view it as well. My atris is demanding at the end of the day because I'm tired and it reminds me that it's a fuck around and find out ski.

Quote Originally Posted by Climber Joe View Post
    Stockli allegedly uses a urethane adhesive instead of epoxy, AND metal, AND 2 full length full width sheets of rubber, AND full edge rubber strips. They're by far the dampest skis I've ever skie, and I think it's because of the massive amounts of rubber vs any other difference.
    Yes, I agree that Stockli is an anomaly and can achieve a more "quiet and smooth" ride, per weight & length, than other typical skis. A similar anomaly is the old Kniessel Flexon Tanker. Pretty light for how smoothly it rides. Plenty of metal, but not sure whether Tanker has lots of rubber or not.

More factors for smooth ride: It seems like a very rearward mount point and a very long camber section ahead of the boot might also boost that "quiet and smooth" ride per weight & length. ...But I think the newer Stockli designs have been moving the mount position a bit more forward nowadays, and rockering the tips too (i.e. a shorter cambered section in front of boot)---so the newer Stocklis might not be as smooth as the ancient pre-rocker ones, not sure.

- TRADE your heavy PROTESTS for my lightweight version at this thread

"My biggest goal in life has always been to pursue passion and to make dreams a reality. I love my daughter, but if I had to quit my passions for her, then I would be setting the wrong example for her, and I would not be myself anymore. " -Shane

"I'm gonna go SO OFF that NO ONE's ever gonna see what I'm gonna do!" -Saucerboy

Quote Originally Posted by Vitamin I View Post
    Yes, I agree that Stockli is an anomaly and can achieve a more "quiet and smooth" ride, per weight & length, than other typical skis. A similar anomaly is the old Kniessel Flexon Tanker. Pretty light for how smoothly it rides. Plenty of metal, but not sure whether Tanker has lots of rubber or not.

More factors for smooth ride: It seems like a very rearward mount point and a very long camber section ahead of the boot might also boost that "quiet and smooth" ride per weight & length. ...But I think the newer Stockli designs have been moving the mount position a bit more forward nowadays, and rockering the tips too (i.e. a shorter cambered section in front of boot)---so the newer Stocklis might not be as smooth as the ancient pre-rocker ones, not sure.

I’ve got like 3 pairs of the 2014 storm rider 95 I kept finding on clearance. It’s the best combo of weight, shape, flex, etc I’ve found.

But even my edge 88 touring skis from them are remarkably quiet and smooth for their weight.

Anybody that says metal skis are demanding never saw how popular the Volant Vertex Powerkarve was with the little old ladies.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot

Stikki, Rasputin, and Caucasian Asian know what's up. There's a reason that Volant had success with metal. And we're not talking about an aluminum alloy; Volant was stainless steel. The dampness of the old Volants can't be matched with other materials. It's almost a shame that Atomic still holds Volant's patents, and it's definitely a shame that Atomic made it into a boutique brand for rich eastern Europeans. Even on powder days, the faster the Spatulas go, the less they care about other tracks (up to a point, when I want the Fat Bastards). At the end of the day on a "regular" resort day, my original McGs just destroy what's left of the stuff that's cut up.

Ski the steel, steal the thunder!

FWIW. If I understand the facts correctly, Kastle 105 BMX was one of the smoothest (most expensive) and highly sought after skis out there. A couple years ago they took the metal out and people freaked while complaining they had ruined an iconic ski. Kastle quickly put the metal back in the latest models.

I had a personal experience with Atomic Rituals. They had an unusual flex (stiffer tips and softer tails) and a variable sidecut, but serious metal. They were great skis. I busted an edge on the Rituals and got Atomic's "replacement" the Vantage, which had lost the metal and replaced it with "carbon tank mesh" to allegedly make them lighter and smoother. They certainly are lighter, but totally sucked in every aspect of performance, despite the lasted technology for metal replacement. This is only one case study but is indicative of my life long experience with skis lacking metal. My only exception is when it comes to powder skis.
    Gravity Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by Mudfoot View Post
    I had a personal experience with Atomic Rituals. They had an unusual flex (stiffer tips and softer tails) and a variable sidecut, but serious metal. They were great skis. I busted an edge on the Rituals and got Atomic's "replacement" the Vantage, which had lost the metal and replaced it with "carbon tank mesh" to allegedly make them lighter and smoother. They certainly are lighter, but totally sucked in every aspect of performance, despite the lasted technology for metal replacement. This is only one case study but is indicative of my life long experience with skis lacking metal. My only exception is when it comes to powder skis.
    Yeah, the Ritual was a nice ski, but you had to be careful not to load the tails too much coming out of a turn at speed. I had a pair of shop demos (actually they only gave us one, I had to trade another shop for the matching ski) with clear topsheets so you could see the wavy "fish-skeleton" Titanal insert they CNC'd in. They should do that with the Chetlers, that would really be something.

They did make Vantage skis with metal, the Vantage 97ti for instance, that were worthy rides, but you had to watch for them. Anything that said simply "Vantage" or "C" had no Titanal.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvan View Post
    This is what I did last year. Went through ten (?) pair, skied most a min of 5 days, and more for the ones I liked (obviously). Not terribly hard to find long lengths steeply discounted so usually didn’t lose more than $100-200 per flip (tax inclusive). Not cheap (and fortunate to be able to pull it off), but I now have a much better handle on what I like. Speed dating at its finest. Plus, it was fun as fuck!
    Hey I've been meaning to ask you if you've skied the Prior Patroller with the metal layup. You should check them out. I'd love to know what you think. You can demo the 190 from the factory. Check out the Overlords too for resort pow.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bry View Post
    Hey I've been meaning to ask you if you've skied the Prior Patroller with the metal layup. You should check them out. I'd love to know what you think. You can demo the 190 from the factory. Check out the Overlords too for resort pow.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
    I unfortunately have not, but I did just send you a PM!

PS. As a rule, metal skis are not inherently demanding

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    In my case, selecting a 100ish woman's ski to replace my wife's old skis, i primarily I wanted a ski that has a loose tail and low swing weight to help her stay confident and off of her heals in steeps with chunder and bumps. This is where she struggles.

She also doesn't have a lot of angulation on piste. She learned to ski later in life than most of us.

Will metal help her? No. She doesn't go fast through chop or rip high speed high angle turns.

Can a metal ski have a loose tail? Sure.

Does she have enough angulation and speed to take advantage of metals dampening and torsional characteristics on a 100 ish skis on groomers? Meh, probably not.

Her old skis don't have metal either, and they have been kicking her ass lately. ON3P Viciks that were my stepsons, then hers. They worked fine for her for a few years as she has built on her fundamentals but she has been following me and now our daughter into ever more aggressive terrain and they have not been doing her any favors.

Santa Ana was a leading contender but she doesn't need the metal and the reviews I read from woman don't agree with my opinion of the E104 which imo couldn't be any more loose and turny unless maybe they were a street hooker.

She demoed Ripstick 102's last year. They weren't an improvement. I wouldn't let her demo the female version of the Rustler 10 because those were some of the worst skis I have ever skied.

I wish she could have tried the SA and a few more skis.

So, based on Blister mostly, Rallybirds it is. It isn't about the lack of metal so much as it is just a ski that targets what she needs right now.

Also,.the Rallybird Ti certainly sounds more demanding than the Rallbird.

So the answer is probably yes, but it depends.
    Damn, just read this now, describes my wife to a tee. Got her the Liberty Genesis 101 to replace her old Atomic Century this year. Think the liberty may have a small sheet of metal only underfoot, but I could be wrong.

Sorry for the thread drift....

I'm far from having the physics and mathematical understanding of an engineer, but this discussion reminds me of the typical backcountry cost benefit analysis of weight. Andrew McLean often espoused "weight is great, but light is right."

It's long been a belief in any type of activity where you put in a lot of steps that you really have to be attentive to weight at your feet, so far away from your center of gravity. Working on snow and watching beginners I've often theorized that they would progress more quickly through the most elementary progressions in lighter equipment. Many simply do not have the strength to manipulate typical alpine gear very adeptly. I think that certainly plays into the discussion of what kind of demanding are we discussing? Physically, as in strength and endurance or coordination, and mentally as in experience and converting a line into execution of muscle memory, or attention and ability to quickly alter our decision from visual and physical feedback? What are our goals? 1 run as fast and as in control as possible, first chair to lunch and then cruisers with the family, charge until the new snow is crud, or charge all day? We would all have different ability and stamina and would have our own "sweet spot" of weight and turnability.

It also makes a ton of sense to me what Marshall is referring to that the torsional stiffness is raised by the planar surface of the sheets of metal while the linear axis in the same plane as the camber would not necessarily be effected as much. That, the longest axis of the ski, would mostly be controlled by the core material and the 3D profile edge to edge from tip to tail and would be apples and oranges as you certainly wouldn't use the same design and zero, one, or two sheets of metal. Thanks Marshall for using the Enforcer and the Dynastar LPR as the examples, two skis I own. 100% agree that the softer tail and lower turn radius on the Enforcers are integral to them being more user friendly.

I guess I'm squarely in the metal sheet camp, as I even prefer it in my touring skis. I just think that inevitably I often find a band of challenging wind slab or ice that I simply want the added control. I generally prefer traditional half camber unless I'm willing to go home or switch boards as soon as the conditions change. It's probably my favorite thing about gravity sports... you can add and take things away from a design, but generally it's a net sum game. My suggestion to the husbands and dads that are drilling in trying to help partners and children is to also take a hard look at boots. We are often very calculated about ski weight, but ultimately the ski, boot, and binding work as a system. It's uncanny how many times you look around at the folks struggling the most and they're clearly in gear that doesn't work well as a system. Boots too soft or too heavy, skis too short or with too low a turn radius, boots too big and not buckled down adequately... it would be tough for the most gifted skier much less a rank beginner to enjoy skiing with some of these errors in equipment.

As I understand it, Titanal is basically aluminum. By itself a thin sheet of it is not stiff and not heavy. It stiffens and dampens a ski lengthwise and torsionally because it is very strong in tension--ie you can't stretch it. When a ski bends the outside of the bend gets longer and the inside gets shorter. When the Titanal is glued to the core that resistance to stretching means it's hard for the outside of the bend to get longer--that means the ski is stiffer. I wonder how many skis that wear out do so because the glue fails so the metal isn't doing anything (I'm thinking of a particular pair of red Mantras I had that got downright scary on anything firm after a few seasons.) I should have cut them open to see if there was internal delam. Instead I gave them to my kid.

As far as demanding--as others have said, that depends. Put a racer on a steep hard course on a pair of beginner skis and I bet they'd find them very demanding. But in general "demanding" is a term aimed at beginner--intermediate skiers and means hard to turn at slow speed, and metal makes a ski more demading in that sense because it requires more force to bend, and at slow speed there isn't enough angular momentum to bend the ski unless the skier is fat.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    As I understand it, Titanal is basically aluminum. By itself a thin sheet of it is not stiff and not heavy. It stiffens and dampens a ski lengthwise and torsionally because it is very strong in tension--ie you can't stretch it. When a ski bends the outside of the bend gets longer and the inside gets shorter. When the Titanal is glued to the core that resistance to stretching means it's hard for the outside of the bend to get longer--that means the ski is stiffer. I wonder how many skis that wear out do so because the glue fails so the metal isn't doing anything (I'm thinking of a particular pair of red Mantras I had that got downright scary on anything firm after a few seasons.) I should have cut them open to see if there was internal delam. Instead I gave them to my kid.

As far as demanding--as others have said, that depends. Put a racer on a steep hard course on a pair of beginner skis and I bet they'd find them very demanding. But in general "demanding" is a term aimed at beginner--intermediate skiers and means hard to turn at slow speed, and metal makes a ski more demading in that sense because it requires more force to bend, and at slow speed there isn't enough angular momentum to bend the ski unless the skier is fat.
    Well said.

I've always heard the same about Titanal. It's basically Al, with just enough titanium and vanadium for marketing purposes.

Neither titanium or vanadium in titanal

I prefer to think of it as Tit Anal

I rip the groomed on tele gear

Quote Originally Posted by tuco View Post
    Neither titanium or vanadium in titanal
    There’s a very small amount of titanium in Titanal:

• Use of an alloy containing (indicated in weight percentage):
      up to 0.15 % silicon, up to 0.3 % iron, 1.4 to 2.0 % copper, up to 0.10 % manganese, 2.5 to 3.5 % magnesium, up to 0.1 % chromium, 6.8 to 7.9 % zinc, 0.05 to 0.1 % titanium, 0.05 to 0.18 % zircon, the rest consisting of aluminium and impurities, for sporting devices under vibratory stress.

https://patents.google.com/patent/EP0233858B1/en

0.05--0.1% Titanium? I believe that triggers an automatic recount.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    0.05--0.1% Titanium? I believe that triggers an automatic recount.
    Yeah, I get that it’s not a lot, and I’m not a materials expert so can’t tell you what the specific benefit of having Ti in there is, but some alloys just have very small amounts of various elements, including Ti.

AL-7068 for example:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	621B700E-0FD7-411A-A424-FD9CF23381D5.jpeg 
Views:	88 
Size:	315.0 KB 
ID:	434604

My only point is that if someone’s thinking they only put a tiny bit of Ti in there just so they could call it Titanal, that’s probably not the case.

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post
    I prefer to think of it as Tit Anal

It was. And always will be.

Tight Anal

Metal skis - inherently demanding?

I stand corrected

But VAS on old Rossi 4S still stands for vaginal attack system?

I rip the groomed on tele gear

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post
    I stand corrected

But VAS on old Rossi 4S still stands for vaginal attack system?

Vaginal Anal System

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

Quote Originally Posted by Duffman View Post
    Damn, just read this now, describes my wife to a tee. Got her the Liberty Genesis 101 to replace her old Atomic Century this year. Think the liberty may have a small sheet of metal only underfoot, but I could be wrong.

Sorry for the thread drift....
    Ha, me too big time. Was looking for the same ski as well, got her a pair of Faction Dictator 2.0x (the rad pink ones from last year). She loves them so far. Two sheets of metal but a medium even flex throughout. Really helps her keep stable and confident at speed, something she often struggles with.

Quote Originally Posted by J. Barron DeJong View Post
    There’s a very small amount of titanium in Titanal:

• Use of an alloy containing (indicated in weight percentage):
      up to 0.15 % silicon, up to 0.3 % iron, 1.4 to 2.0 % copper, up to 0.10 % manganese, 2.5 to 3.5 % magnesium, up to 0.1 % chromium, 6.8 to 7.9 % zinc, 0.05 to 0.1 % titanium, 0.05 to 0.18 % zircon, the rest consisting of aluminium and impurities, for sporting devices under vibratory stress.

https://patents.google.com/patent/EP0233858B1/en
    The first time I looked it up on the AMAG (Austria Metall AG, the only source of Titanal) site about 8 years ago they said it had a tiny amount of Titanium, the current literature says no:
    "The chemical composition of Titanal® in weight percent breaks down to approximately 88.5% aluminum, 1.7% copper, 2.5% magnesium, 7% zinc, and 0.1% zirconium."

Emailing AMAG customer care to confirm . . .

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    The first time I looked it up on the AMAG (Austria Metall AG, the only source of Titanal) site about 8 years ago they said it had a tiny amount of Titanium, the current literature says no:
    "The chemical composition of Titanal® in weight percent breaks down to approximately 88.5% aluminum, 1.7% copper, 2.5% magnesium, 7% zinc, and 0.1% zirconium."

Well that only adds up to 99.8%

Name:  A8DC4F60-4C1A-4C5F-AF4A-8EC50BBA156D.jpeg
Views: 328
Size:  54.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post

These Blizzards be backed by straight titanium
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20210202_142606331.PORTRAIT.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	1.35 MB 
ID:	435000