Cost of premium orthotics??

I got a quote from a high end ski shop in SLC for $350. Lots of people say this place is great but spendy. Is $350 for footbeds ridiculous or is that about right???

Sounds high, buts it’s been a while since I bought any.

YMMV, but I was able to use FSA dollars to buy some a while back. Orthotics are considered “durable medical equipment.” Orthotics for ski boots is probably a bit more of a gray area.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I have a large quiver of custom orthotcs going way back but i discovered if I can find an off-the-rack product I don't need to spend 300+

So my go to has been the yoursole.com for < 50 $ but ti depends on what works for your foot
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I finally gave up on off-the-shelf orthotics and went to an actual foot doctor. Got some prescription orthotics and what a difference. Spendy, well over $350, but worth it. YMMV.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Going price here in New England from reputable bootfitters (Bill at Green Mountain Orthotics, Paul Richelson, etc) is around $200.

When I got fitted for a knee brace over the summer, the guy said, "you need orthotics for your shoes". I had been getting them through the VA (arthritis in my lower back attributed to running without proper alignment) but it's been 8+ years since I got the last ones.. Rather than go through the hassle of working a new VA system (they are not at all connected...) I asked him what he would charge me: $400. I decided to go through the hassle with the VA. Still don't have new orthotics....

It’s the going rate for high end ski footbeds in a mountain town.

If you know anyone irl use your connections and you can get them for half. If it’s off season.
    In season there’s a wait list. No discount for you.

Material cost is minimal. Labor is a few hours. Knowledge is everything.

Quote Originally Posted by ikonfreewasatch View Post
    I got a quote from a high end ski shop in SLC for $350. Lots of people say this place is great but spendy. Is $350 for footbeds ridiculous or is that about right???
    It's only an "orthotic" if it's made by a licensed pedorthist or podiatrist - otherwise (and it may be just as good, and made with the same equipment and materials) it's a footbed. $350 is on the high end, but pretty common in ski towns. $200 is on the low end these days. As noted above, it's the skill, judgement and experience of the person making it that counts.

In the Sidas world, for example, ski shops commonly use a molding device called an HD Vac with a heater called a Moduvac, with pricing as above (different shops/bootfitters prefer different footbed blanks and topcovers). Most of the shops in my town use some variation of the Sidas Custom Pro footbed, though with different topcover options and sometimes a custom color. (Masterfit markets their own brand of equipment and footbeds, called Instaprint, which are also top quality in terms of durability and end product). A podiatrist may use the exact same equipment, but with the name Podiatech on the machine instead of Sidas (and a few more shelves built in), and charge you $500-600. If your podiatrist or pedorthist knows skiing and you can get your insurance to cover half or more or the cost, it may be a good deal, but you're not guaranteed a better job of molding or posting by paying more.

There are a handful of exceptions, but generally people who've spent a couple of years training to be pedorthists find they make better money somewhere other than a ski shop and move on.
    Last edited by gregL; 09-25-2022 at 02:48 PM.

Never spent more than 100 on sidas

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

i think my cheapest Sole was 12$ at Princess Auto a discount place that sells tools/ farm/ tractor stuff so i bought all their stock,

I guess I'm not much of a special flower
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by SirVicSmasher View Post
    Never spent more than 100 on sidas

I suspect you know someone, K. - or you haven't had a custom footbed done in years. Our prices for Sidas customs have been at least $150 for 12 years or so, currently $225. Sidas 3Feet are currently $60.

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    I suspect you know someone, K. - or you haven't had a custom footbed done in years. Our prices for Sidas customs have been at least $150 for 12 years or so, currently $225. Sidas 3Feet are currently $60.
    A wise man told me never pay retail

$200 for full custom and they did a couple punches for me as well. Whatever the price is make sure they are a legit fitter with true experience - if not go watch youtube and figure it out on your own, will be the same quality...
    "Never let the truth get in the way of a good story." Warren M

ikonfreewasatch - I'm 99.9% sure you're referring to the Sport Loft. Their work is good but their prices are stupid in my opinion. If you buy a boot from them they still charge you a shit load for every punch or grind that it needs etc. Go see Brent Amsbury at Park City Ski Boot, he's better and his prices are more reasonable. Win win. He (and Jerry the other guy there) are the only ones I'll see now.

Quote Originally Posted by wilcox510 View Post
    ikonfreewasatch - I'm 99.9% sure you're referring to the Sport Loft. Their work is good but their prices are stupid in my opinion. If you buy a boot from them they still charge you a shit load for every punch or grind that it needs etc. Go see Brent Amsbury at Park City Ski Boot, he's better and his prices are more reasonable. Win win. He (and Jerry the other guy there) are the only ones I'll see now.
    you are correct and thanks for the recommendation.

Someone has recommended Canyon Sports Therapy. You have any experience with them?

No, I’m not familiar with them