Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Hurricane 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Brock Landers View Post
    Scituate isn’t the Irish riviera. That’s Dorchester down to Weymouth.

But you “summered” there.

Tourist. Take a number.
    Scituate is most definitely the Irish Riviera! I grew up on Oceanside drive between Second and Third ave until the Blizzard of 78 became one too many storms for my parents to deal with.

ian

some crazy shit going down in florida. prayers for those folks out their bunkered down, trying to get through the night. the wife's parent's live in venice. storm was supposed to hit tampa so evacuation notice for tampa bay area but not statewide. wife's sister lives in sarasota so she figured heading south to venice was the play. not really a concern in ft. myers as students were in school at the florida gulf coast college today. last i heard they were all in the auditorium as ft. myers got crushed. venice was just north of the eye, so sustained 100mph+ winds as it just parked there for 8+ hours easy. water leaking through the front door. no power since 2pm but have a generator if it ever stops raining. the worst is over for them and the've lived there for 20+ years, and that was by far the worst storm they have ever seen. thinking of those out there tonight for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by getoutside View Post
    the worst is over for them
    For all those affected on the eastern side of FL, I hope the worse is over…. That’s not always the case after a storm like this….

Hurricane 2022

Hey Cono, was it the MeDIa! that got it all wrong?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by getoutside View Post
    not really a concern in ft. myers as students were in school at the florida gulf coast college today.
    Are you fucking kidding me? How is that possible?

Here's an article from the Naples newspaper yesterday saying classes were cancelled. I guess the question is how many students were still on campus:
    https://www.naplesnews.com/story/wea...u/10444158002/

I have family (and a rental house) in Frostproof. They seem to be right in the heart of it right now. From the texts I’m getting, shit is hitting the fan. Sounds like there’s going to be a bunch of homeless people tomorrow. Really sad situation.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Are you fucking kidding me? How is that possible?

Here's an article from the Naples newspaper yesterday saying classes were cancelled. I guess the question is how many students were still on campus:
    https://www.naplesnews.com/story/wea...u/10444158002/
    not + but will confirm. we heard there were some classes and folks were in the auditorium as result.

The building to the right is a restaurant called Luna's. They have a great chicken philly. This sucks.

"I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

Hurricane 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Ottoclave View Post
    Scituate is most definitely the Irish Riviera! I grew up on Oceanside drive between Second and Third ave until the Blizzard of 78 became one too many storms for my parents to deal with.
    Did you go to Wompatuck Elementary? We might have been in school together. We were on February vacation up in Killington when the Blizzard hit. The ocean was in our backyard and we lived up higher on Fifth Ave, closer to Hatherly than Oceanside. Nice area to grow up for sure!

Talked to my folks this morning, no power, but all set otherwise, they are just west of Pelican Bay, in Naples. They sold their place in Coquina Sands two years ago to move into a gated community. So glad they did.
    crab in my shoe mouth

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    That's 4 months of your life you'll never get back.
    No shit. And I was there for 8 months.

We fled to Orlando to lure the storm our way. Sitting in a hotel watching a TS go by right now.

Family left Monday Night. I waited till Tuesday to button up some stuff. I had put the gas tank back in my Bronco just to pull it into the garage. That project was slated for this coming weekend, but Ian had other ideas.

I hope all my co-workers in Ft Myers got out. It would make no sense for them to assume it was coming to Tampa. When there is a storm in the Gulf coming up the west coast, we are all ready to evacuate, no matter what the forecast says.

I will say, if I had to be stuck anywhere in Ft Myers, FGCU would be a great place to have it happen. They have their own self contained city down there. They have their own water plant, and power plant. Those students are doing just fine, hopefully.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Stainless View Post
    The building to the right is a restaurant called Luna's. They have a great chicken philly. This sucks.

Hope things are relatively unscathed for you Bobby
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by riser4 View Post
    No shit. And I was there for 8 months.
    8 months is a helluva long "winter"...

++vibes

Early report blurb I saw.. estimate "hundreds dead". I hope that's not confirmed to be the case but it sure sounds BAD.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Reached out to some of my customers down in Ft Myers/ Naples. Know of 1 that evacuated to Ft Lauderdale.
    Otherwise, it seems most stayed for some reason.

I have a few big projects going on down there.
    Margaritaville Ft Myers Beach is one of them.
    I am told it is part of the ocean now.

JFC that’s a hudge building at sea level.

In my head I hear ozzy man’s voice

DESTINATION FUCKED

crazy how anticipation for days when and where it will hit, few miles here or there making all the difference to lives and future. hope all are safe but know many are not, changed forever.

as for Margaritaville, having been unfortunate to stay in one for a few days, I could go the rest of my life without hearing Jimmy blasting in the background 24/7 and be very content.

edit: cool property though

Hurricane 2022

Most of this shit got destroyed by Charlie less than 20 years ago. Thanks to government subsidized insurance and regular insurance it was all rebuilt and development sky rocketed. Now we repeat.

Also, there are going to be LOTS of insurance co bankruptcies in FL. The taxpayer funded backstops will be heavily tested and I wouldn’t be surprised if Florida looks for a Federal bailout of their fund that pays claims after carriers are insolvent. All this was caused by absolutely ridiculous laws that allowed rampant fraud and litigation that robbed insurance carriers blind. Almost no one in FL has replaced their own roof in the last 5 to 10 years because the cost of denying a claim became astronomical. If a jury decides against the insurance co that the roof was damaged by a covered peril they pay end up paying close to $1,000,000 to the defense and plaintiffs attorneys and adjusters that handled the claim. Even if they win they are out $100,000’s. All over a $20k roof. So they just replace them.

Last edited by neufox47; 09-29-2022 at 09:28 AM.

florida gulf coast univ. didn't cancel classes until 2pm tuesday so students couldn't evacuate and got stuck at school. wife's parents and sister all made it. will send some pics.

DeSantis surely has the spin prepared.

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    Most of this shot got destroyed by Charlie less than 20 years ago. Thanks to government subsidized insurance and regular insurance it was all rebuilt and development sky rocketed. Now we repeat.

Also, there are going to be LOTS of insurance co bankruptcies in FL. The taxpayer funded backstops will be heavily tested and I wouldn’t be surprised if Florida looks for a Federal bailout of their fund that pays claims after carriers are insolvent.
    This must be why DeSantis is currently sucking up to the POTUS?

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    Most of this shot got destroyed by Charlie less than 20 years ago. Thanks to government subsidized insurance and regular insurance it was all rebuilt and development sky rocketed. Now we repeat.

Also, there are going to be LOTS of insurance co bankruptcies in FL. The taxpayer funded backstops will be heavily tested and I wouldn’t be surprised if Florida looks for a Federal bailout of their fund that pays claims after carriers are insolvent. All this was caused by absolutely ridiculous laws that allowed rampant fraud and litigation that robbed insurance carriers blind.

I can’t read the article, but:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	73D96D2F-B320-494B-ADF9-66B5595BADE1.jpeg 
Views:	66 
Size:	104.7 KB 
ID:	427998

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/09/29/c...insurance.html

Get used to DeSantis

He is your next president.

Oh Really.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Cono is leveraging his fallibility track record in the Ukraine thread into this one.