Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Hurricane 2022

Yeah it looks like 30+ NE for 3 straight days, that's gonna chew some beaches and shit up for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by schuss View Post
    There are plenty of firms that do fixed price (I think the official term is alternative fee arrangement) handling of standard insurance claims. Most never see court or are cookie cutter handling, just like the lawsuits.
    My dollar figure is probably off as that was the amount in certain southern states 6-7 years ago.
    Are you referring to legal costs or the adjusting side? I’ve never heard of a law firm taking on suits for a $1500 flat fee. I don’t do homeowners but every attorney I’ve ever worked with is T&E and their bills are alway 5 if not 6 figures to get through trial.

If you are referring to the adjusting piece, flat fee is the term. But that is for adjusting only. If that $1,500 flat fee claim goes to court and the jury decides the appropriate price of the roof replacement is $1 over what the insurance company then they are out hundreds of thousands.

How long until FL descends into utter chaos and Mad Max dystopia?
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Buncha beat up golf carts rattle canned black? With walkers attached to the side and O2 bottles?
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

There's lots of young folks in Florida and an above-average number of unsavory characters among them. And lots of firearms. And pythons and gators.

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    Are you referring to legal costs or the adjusting side? I’ve never heard of a law firm taking on suits for a $1500 flat fee. I don’t do homeowners but every attorney I’ve ever worked with is T&E and their bills are alway 5 if not 6 figures to get through trial.

If you are referring to the adjusting piece, flat fee is the term. But that is for adjusting only. If that $1,500 flat fee claim goes to court and the jury decides the appropriate price of the roof replacement is $1 over what the insurance company then they are out hundreds of thousands.
    No, I know about fixed price handling. Super large companies cut deals with firms because they can guarantee volume. If you knew you would have as many cases as you wanted - what would you charge per case?

as much as possible?

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    There's lots of young folks in Florida and an above-average number of unsavory characters among them. And lots of firearms. And pythons and gators.
    What could possibly go wrong here ?
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Meth gators...

Here's a pretty good storm surge video. My buddy that sent it to me said it's about 13 miles north of Bonita Beach. https://youtu.be/al8yTiCVfro

Estimated 45 dead so far in Florida.

Dam.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Oh my!
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by schuss View Post
    No, I know about fixed price handling. Super large companies cut deals with firms because they can guarantee volume. If you knew you would have as many cases as you wanted - what would you charge per case?
    My cheapest people cost about $50 an hour including all costs. If they are paying $1,500 for an attorney on a suit maybe that explains why they lose so much? They can spend maybe 10 hours total on it?

Apparently some dams broke near Ft Meyers and 75 is closed.

DeSantis and other shitbag Republicans now begging for hurricane aid after voting to deny the same to northeast states when they got hit. Fuck those hypocritical fucks.
    [quote][//quote]

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter Rutecki View Post
    DeSantis and other shitbag Republicans now begging for hurricane aid after voting to deny the same to northeast states when they got hit. Fuck those hypocritical fucks.
    He did the same during other hurricanes as well. Fuck these twats.

The Cone of Uncertainty is coming under fire.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/to...ns/ar-AA12Bqyp
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post

Bill D’Antuono is not a smart man.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Bill D’Antuono is not a smart man.
    Constants and variables, what do they mean?!?!

They should emphasize *this* as being more to blame than blaming the Weather Service and their cone:

"a disclaimer appeared atop every six-hour update as it does for the forecast cone graphic for every storm: “Note: The cone contains the probable path of the storm center but does not show the size of the storm. Hazardous conditions can occur outside of the cone.”

But the disclaimer is often stripped off versions of the cone displayed on television"

“You would think, as time goes on, more people would gradually learn,” said Brian McNoldy, a hurricane researcher at the University of Miami and study co-author. “But I don’t know if that’s happened.”

I have little sympathy for all the Floridians who were not actively searching for storm updates and reading about how to interpret the data. Yes they should make the "cone" easier to understand, but just reading one ONE article (like the one you posted) would explain the cone to anyone.

Here in Utah I think knew more about the storm's potential than the people in Ian's path. WTF. Maybe take a storm of that size seriously as if your life depends on it and don't trust the government to hold your hand to safety.

Quote Originally Posted by muted reborn View Post
    “You would think, as time goes on, more people would gradually learn,” said Brian McNoldy, a hurricane researcher at the University of Miami and study co-author. “But I don’t know if that’s happened.”

I have little sympathy for all the Floridians who were not actively searching for storm updates and reading about how to interpret the data. Yes they should make the "cone" easier to understand, but just reading one ONE article (like the one you posted) would explain the cone to anyone.

Here in Utah I think knew more about the storm's potential than the people in Ian's path. WTF. Maybe take a storm of that size seriously as if your life depends on it and don't trust the government to hold your hand to safety.
    A common mindset regarding those that live in hurricane zones (in my experience this "condition" is way more prevalent in Florida than in say, South Carolina Lowcountry) is the residents who have been through a storm or two usually have only experienced the outer bands/weaker bits of those storms and thus they came through relatively unscathed.

They tend to think every storm is like that, and you're a wuss if you evacuate for the next one.

Until the next one drives the eye and/or inner bands right over their doublewide/boat/non-storm-rated construction while they're sitting inside with grandma, the kids, dogs and about 12 bottles of water, a case of beer and not much else.

"THEY GOT IT WRONG!" is what you'll typically hear coming out of their mouths in the following weeks.

From the cited article above:
    finger-pointing over what mistakes may have contributed to dozens of deaths during Hurricane Ian
    Begin with the municipalities that zone barrier beaches for residential and commercial use

Babcock Ranch is a credit to Florida. Other municipalities should follow suit.

Maybe mandate that residential and commercial zoning be 1+ mile inland with trams or trollies out to the beaches,
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

I was definitely confused by all the reports of people who were surprised when the hurricane made landfall north of Ft Myers because I'd been following the forecasts for a couple days and they were consistently saying it would make landfall somewhere between roughly Tampa and Naples. It did exactly that.