Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Hurricane 2022

Quote Originally Posted by highangle View Post
    There's also centuries of shit underground and existing shit above ground that has to be accounted for before you can figure out how much it's gonna cost to bury a new utility...
    True enough, though municipalities are still building subways, etc. If they can build an underground railway in Panama City (as they did after the major building boom that ended in 2010), then I now believe almost anything is possible, and our super-smart selves can figure it out.

I can’t remember how many miles of existing distribution lines pge plans to bury for $10B.

Quote Originally Posted by boltonoutlaw View Post
    True enough, though municipalities are still building subways, etc. If they can build an underground railway in Panama City (as they did after the major building boom that ended in 2010), then I now believe almost anything is possible, and our super-smart selves can figure it out.

I guess the most economical way would be to nationalize all utility companies in America, so local ratepayers and land developers who currently have to foot the bill to bury OHP for aesthetics can collectivize those debt service challenges with The People as a whole?

I guess the most economical way would be to nationalize all utility companies in America, so local ratepayers and land developers who currently have to foot the bill to bury OHP for aesthetics can collectivize those debt service challenges with The People as a whole?
    I dunno
    Utility easements have almost no cost, and the price to re-hang wire and rebuild 19th century design gets passed on to the consumer.

My understanding changing from aerial easement to underground easement on private property is a big deal.

And operational maintenance of underground lines aint cheap, and takes longer to carry out.
    I do think we could come up with better designs for above ground lines, however.

Where are all the surfers bro?? The break at St Augustine is firing right now!

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by F#*k you cat View Post
    Where are all the surfers bro?? The break at St Augustine is firing right now!

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Night surfing? No Way!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	flat,750x,075,f-pad,750x1000,f8f8f8.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	191.3 KB 
ID:	428066

Surfers are working their way up the Carolina coast. We're all working from home tomorrow... schools are either remote learning day or cancelled.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    Yes a lot of carriers require the roof to be less than 20 or even 10 years old as a result. But they definitely haven’t made up for it in the last 5 years. Losses were bigger than ever the last two years despite no major hurricanes.

Regarding Charlie, yes far more is damaged this time around but almost anything damaged by Charlie is now damaged again.
    I had to replace a perfectly good roof just to sell a house 4.5 years ago for that very reason. $21,000 later, I had... A ROOF. I am still pissed about it. The fraud and the "I got mine" that led to it is total bullshit. The house I am in now has a concrete tile roof. Supposed to be a 50 year roof, installed in 2001. I had an adjuster tell me it had less than 10 years left with an $80,000+ price tag in today's dollars. I never got a second opinion, but I need to be armed with the truth since a lot of insurance companies will likely pull back out of here.

I realize the path was about the same for Charlie. Pretty sure that is the one that ripped Captiva in half. My point was just that that was a much smaller and faster moving storm, so damage was a but limited. I remember seeing the swath it cut across I-75. It was surgical. Much much smaller path of destruction.

I know so many colleagues that live in Cape Coral. Hoping they all made it.

Vaya con dios, brah.
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post

the beach looks just fine... it's all them buildings that shouldn't have been built right next to the beach that look destroyed.

Most of the time, a carrier can see that coming and pull out of a state before it loses its ass?
    My homeowner's policies renew every year and my property & casualty every 6mo. And it's not terribly unusual for carriers to drop states when laws change and they can't make enough $$.

But business is hard sometimes and companies make mistakes and blame it on "new torts" or whatever. Is this Florida thing based on a new law or tort environment? Or is this the same longstanding problem insurance companies have with rural juries in the South assigning exorbitant damages?
    Florida has 8.16% of the claims yet over 76% of the lawsuits for the US.
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.jax...-in-2022%3famp

Even when you win each is at least $1500 in extra costs.

Carriers are insured by reinsurers [like Berkshire Hathaway or SwissRe]. Does Florida have such weak reinsurance requirements that the carriers in the state can't cover their underwritten risks in a 100-year storm?
    I’m not an expert in reinsurance requirements in FL, but there are definitely a bunch of carriers failing. I believe most reinsurance treaties only include indemnity and not adjusting, legal, and experts. So the reinsurance may pick up the $20k roof but the carrier is on the hook for the $1m in fees.

Quote Originally Posted by schuss View Post

$1,500? You mean win in court? How does one do that for $1,500?

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Hope things are relatively unscathed for you Bobby
    No damage. The landscaping didn't even get torn up. So that's good.
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

$1,500? You mean win in court? How does one do that for $1,500?
    There are plenty of firms that do fixed price (I think the official term is alternative fee arrangement) handling of standard insurance claims. Most never see court or are cookie cutter handling, just like the lawsuits.
    My dollar figure is probably off as that was the amount in certain southern states 6-7 years ago.

Puppet of evil not gonna visit FLA.

Go figure.
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by schuss View Post

This has been a problem for a while. So many sharks down here. Land and otherwise.

I am not sure what most on here pay for homeowner's or flood, but it is a huge expense down here, and it keeps getting higher.
    Flood is required for flood zone A to C, so if you have a mortgage, you have to have flood in those zones. A through C probably goes from 0-25 ft, maybe 30 feet.

So here are the round about numbers for a 3700 sq ft house.
    Homeowner's- $6-7k/ yr
    Wind Deductible- 10-15%
    Flood- $1500-2500/yr

The big problem is when the roof is damaged. There is always a fight with ins. about what they will cover. Your wind deductible will usually put the cost of the roof on you, but the water damage is usually the bigger issue. The ins. companies always play games with that.

Flood is the same way. we had a water event that we thought was a pipe burst under the slab. They wouldn't cover it because 2 or more adjacent properties hadn't flooded. Homeowner's wouldn't cover it because they said it was a flood issue. Meanwhile, we were trying to install a wood floor on a slab that was all out 100% water. I ended up finding the problem and fixing it, then renting some big dehumidifiers and drying the slab out. Added 2 weeks to the project, but it taught me a huge lesson about what we are paying for.

There is fraud on both sides.

Quote Originally Posted by SB View Post

Go figure.

Refresh my memory, who do you think is the puppet?
    I thought most of the politicians that TGR hates already live in FL.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Stainless View Post
    No damage. The landscaping didn't even get torn up. So that's good.

Where were you again, North Port?

I’m not an expert in reinsurance requirements in FL, but there are definitely a bunch of carriers failing. I believe most reinsurance treaties only include indemnity and not adjusting, legal, and experts. So the reinsurance may pick up the $20k roof but the carrier is on the hook for the $1m in fees.
    A bunch of carriers went tits up in Louisiana too. It's the job of state insurance commissions to make sure carriers are financially strong enough to write X number of policies up to Y dollars of risks.
    The La insurance commission is the one to blame in Louisiana. You're not supposed to have multiple carriers going bankrupt for paying claims.

Quote Originally Posted by SB View Post

Go figure.
    i highly doubt Desantis wants him down there for many reasons, one being he could possibly look like he doing Desantis' job before he runs for president.

Puppet of evil - That's what actual puppets say, ha.

Bush junior made some mistakes regarding fed disaster declarations that I believe DHS/FEMA learned from. I remember he showed up in AZ after a flood or wildfire (can’t remember which) without an invitation to tour the disaster and jumped the gun in making a public federal disaster declaration.

I just had a look at the PredictWind forecasts and it looks like Iceman-land could see 3-4 days of tropical storm level winds starting tomorrow some time. Gnarly.