Tubeless Tire Sidewall Punctures...What? Me worry??

I cleaned my bike up the other day and went for a ride today. When I took the bike out of the back of my rig, I noticed about 20 small punctures on one sidewall and probably 15 or so on the other sidewall of my front tire. I noticed them because they were all leaking a little Stans; not much, just a small drop at each hole but what caught my attention were the number of them. Also a small leak in the tread plane. It's been about 4 or 5 days since I last rode so I would have thought they'd be set by now but this was fresh fluid coming through.

The tires are Maxxis Highroller II and I just wonder if they have thin sidewalls? I don't ride through any thorny areas so it has to have been caused by riding fast over rocky descents, I presume. Should I be worried about blowing out a sidewall? Time for a new tire?? In 35 years of riding mountain bikes, I've never seen this before. Weird....

You sure the sidewalls aren't just weeping? I've had that happen often with Maxxis tires. If there was no loss of air pressure I'd wipe the leakage off and keep riding.

I blame Antifa.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    You sure the sidewalls aren't just weeping? I've had that happen often with Maxxis tires. If there was no loss of air pressure I'd wipe the leakage off and keep riding.
    This. Especially on older maxxis stuff.

I had an agressor weeping like that but the tires really didnt lose any air, I currently got Assegai & DHR minion losing a bit of air but not weeping, I wouldn't worry
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Thanks. I'll keep an eye on the pressure and see if it's losing much.

The Maxis Recon that came with my Orbea weeps constantly, I need to pump it up every ride. I'm tired of that shitty tire, I have a new Minion going on tomorrow.

Unlike the skiers around me, MTBers seem to be the most finicky people always looking for a problem with their gear and ways to spend more money.

Eg. i know people who will throw away barely used tires or rims because they wont hold air for a week sitting in the garage, but will hold air just fine for a 6 hour ride. At the same time, ill have friends detune skis with parking lot rocks or slap duct tape on torn ski pant cuffs and never think twice.

^Guessing those aren't the same people?

Most of my Maxxis tires seem to start weeping eventually. I pretty much always check pressure as part of a pre-ride check so it doesn't really matter to me.

the double downs never weep, also the easiest tubeless instal eva but they still need to be checked/ pumped up maybe 5 lbs a week not sure where they leak , I could try more fluid but I'm fine with checking which i should be doing anyway

life is good if the biggest issue with your bike is the tires weep a little sealant, or the tires need topping off once a week.

back in the early days of tubeless I tried to setup a set of Nevegals, this was back when they were actualy cool,

the Nevegals leaked constantly and lost 10lbs of air per night every night but they would hold the right pressure thru a ride

eventualy i just thru a set of tubes in them until i sold the bike
    Last edited by XXX-er; 09-20-2022 at 11:50 AM.

Maxxis Ardent on third season
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D149023E-AD21-4703-B618-82B995D13BE9.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	647.1 KB 
ID:	426994

Name:	212F2F8F-BC04-4E62-AA26-E8BB6426742A.jpg 
Size:	609.1 KB 
ID:	426995

Weeping at seam between bead strip and sidewall, and between sidewall and tread. Cleaned the tire three times and it keeps weeping.

Doesn’t lose air so riding until it does.

I ride in a lot of volcanic rock and granite, so tires esp sidewalls take a beating. Surprised I haven’t lost lugs yet.

yeah all that weeping you would think the tire would lose air but not necessarily

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    Maxxis Ardent on third season

Name:	D149023E-AD21-4703-B618-82B995D13BE9.jpg 
Size:	647.1 KB 
ID:	426994

Name:	212F2F8F-BC04-4E62-AA26-E8BB6426742A.jpg 
Size:	609.1 KB 
ID:	426995

Weeping at seam between bead strip and sidewall, and between sidewall and tread. Cleaned the tire three times and it keeps weeping.

Doesn’t lose air so riding until it does.

I ride in a lot of volcanic rock and granite, so tires esp sidewalls take a beating. Surprised I haven’t lost lugs yet.
    Well, my tire doesn't look anywhere near that bad. It held pressure overnight and I rode today with no issues so I guess I'm good to go. Ironically, I have this same bike, even in the faster red model like yours...

Correlation =causation….

IT’s tHe bIKe!!!
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Correlation =causation….

IT’s tHe bIKe!!!
    Exactly!

The issue with that much weeping IME is that the sealant dries out pretty quickly so you end up having to refresh often and ultimately replace because it eventually turns a weird curdled milk substance. Also, that slime smells like dog shit and gets on everything.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.