Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

House of the Dragon

No thread for one of the biggest releases of the year??? Who's watching? I need some answers, especially after last night

Why did Ser Cristen freak the fuck out?? I don't get it. Seemed like everything was going well for him, better than could be expected, his girl was marrying a gay guy but said they could still fuck, the queen found out about their relationship but let him off the hook...

Why would he freak out and beat his girl's husband's gay lover to death in front of everybody?? It made no sense

I think it was because he thought he was toast already just waiting for the axe to fall from the Queen. He seems more of a naive do-gooder than Ned Stark was, and can't handle complex grey areas. But Rhaenyra's husband's lover was an ass and deserved to to have his face atomized.
    And ..... Westeros Weddings!!!!!!

Oh, and biggest release the year?
    Yeah ....... no.

I think he was doing it for her, reputation and otherewise. After the guy approached him and came off a little toxic / meddling, removing that from her future life seemed like a good approach if you figure you're toast anyway.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Joe View Post
    No thread for one of the biggest releases of the year??? Who's watching? I need some answers, especially after last night

Why did Ser Cristen freak the fuck out?? I don't get it. Seemed like everything was going well for him, better than could be expected, his girl was marrying a gay guy but said they could still fuck, the queen found out about their relationship but let him off the hook...

Why would he freak out and beat his girl's husband's gay lover to death in front of everybody?? It made no sense
    Because he's an asshole. He is the sort who's fine to be around when everything is going his way but shows his true stripes when it isn't. He's vain. His massive pride is wounded. His vows are broken. Basically, he only sees things in black and white. When the notorious "knight of kisses" suggests that they are the same, that his backdoor antics are on the same level of chivalry as a sworn knight of the kings guard, it's a devastating insult to a man who is already reeling. Cole snaps.

Spoiler.

He's not what he seemed to be. He's one of the biggest villains in the story. A big theme of the story going forward: there's no heroes here. Not even Rhaenyra. But, from her point of view, two of the people closest to her when she was young, Alicent and Cole, will become her most bitter adversaries. You can already read this dynamic; for his loyalty, Alicent will sell Cole's honor back to him by framing Rhaenyra as the corrupter. A corrupter of the realm as she was of his honor. That episode was more about the rise of Alicent as a real player than it was about a wedding. The green dress gives rise to the Green faction.

I skimmed the story; seems pretty good. Kind of a War of the Roses thing with two rival lines of succession, the Blacks and the Greens, replacing the red and white roses. The other historical influence is an English civil war known as The Anarchy. Rhaenyra's story is clearly based on Empress Matilda, founder of the Plantagenet dynasty.
    Last edited by neckdeep; 09-20-2022 at 10:58 AM.

So far seems too serious/melodramatic - needs an Imp to balance things out.

Yep, not much going on in the comic relief department. This isn't GoT. Pretenses of realism aside, GoT was fantasy/adventure. This story is more like Shakespeare's Henry VI and Richard III tetralogy plays. History and tragedy in equal measure. A weak king with good intentions condemns his kingdom to a generation of internecine bloodshed. Out of the attrition, a true monster will arise.

Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    So far seems too serious/melodramatic - needs an Imp to balance things out.
    Overall I really like it so far, but agree that it's missing a funny bone. GoT was at times pretty damn hilarious, and not just Dinklage.

So much talking……yada…yada….yada.

Dozed off a bunch but trying to keep up.

It’s no Game of Thrones that’s for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by neckdeep View Post
    Yep, not much going on in the comic relief department. This isn't GoT. Pretenses of realism aside, GoT was fantasy/adventure. This story is more like Shakespeare's Henry VI and Richard III tetralogy plays. History and tragedy in equal measure. A weak king with good intentions condemns his kingdom to a generation of internecine bloodshed. Out of the attrition, a true monster will arise.
    Yeah, not a fan of tragedies, historical or otherwise.
    All my favorite fantasy book series have humor as an integral element e.g. Abercrombie's First Law and Erickson's Malazan Book of the Fallen.
    Too much humor, however, tends to ruin things for me - The Black Tongued Thief comes to mind.

The thing I appreciated about GoT was that every character got naked eventually.

This has not been the case with Dragon Fuckers. GoT was a giant smashfest which, if I’m going to be honest, was alright by me.
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

HotD stimulated me to re-watch GoT. They're so different it's not really fair to even compare them. but wow. May not watch any more HotD until I've finished GoT. The pacing, the action, the humor, the compelling drama ..... so much better.

Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend Floater View Post
    The thing I appreciated about GoT was that every character got naked eventually.
    I did find it a little odd that there was an entire scene in a brothel and no nudity whatsoever. I mean, HBO has dicks flapping around all over the place in Euphoria and given GoT's propensity for nudity it seemed like a strange reversal of sorts.

"Get the gone/to a nunnery, evil dicks!!!" sez the dragon tragedy.

The pacing, the action, the humor, the compelling drama... till the last season... so much better.
    FIFY

but yes I would agree with you guys, the lack of nudity in HotD is concerning. Shit, Danaerys, Melisandre, Cersei, Shae, Ygritte, Margery, all did full frontal scenes (to my recollection). and there are some certified hotties in that group. We've barely seen a female nipple in HotD. No bueno.

Yeah, last season went out with a whimper, but, while I'm all in favor of T&A (not so much C) I;m more impressed with the interpersonal relations: Arya + the Hound, Jaime and everybody, Tyrion and everybody, Brian and Pod, etc. HotD has no such interactions - it's all singular i.e. selfish.

Yeah, last season went out with a whimper, but, while I'm all in favor of T&A (not so much C) I;m more impressed with the interpersonal relations: Arya + the Hound, Jaime and everybody, Tyrion and everybody, Brian and Pod, etc. HotD has no such interactions - it's all singular i.e. selfish.
    And not one likable character.

Just pity for the king.

Show sucks in my opinion. I’m invested so will keep watching but not expecting much.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Can somebody SLOW THIS SHOW DOWN???

Every fucking week I'm trying to figure out who the fuck this new actor or that new actor is, who all these kids belong to.. and yet Viserys is still alive?!?
    Fuck. I need a chart with whose kids are who's and who married who and who is betrothed to who, etc. Whom. Whatever.

"Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

YES

thank you!!

Rhaenys has all of her enemies, right there grouped up in front of her gigantic dragon, and she DOESNT roast them all?? So stupid

I think I'm done with this show

Actually, I dug it. It is just the beginning of the troubles for the Hightower clan.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

This show is all plot and that's about it. Very few fun / exciting actual scenes. I'll stick with it for now but my patience is wearing thin.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Joe View Post
    Rhaenys has all of her enemies, right there grouped up in front of her gigantic dragon, and she DOESNT roast them all?? So stupid

I think I'm done with this show
    My feeling too, but then it wouldn’t make for much of a story now if it was over already would it?

It was just her way of "ringing the bell" to let her decision be known. A shot across the bow, if you will.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    My feeling too, but then it wouldn’t make for much of a story now if it was over already would it?
    I mean, thats true but it makes the whole story from here on out kind of fucking stupid, since Rhaenys should have just flambeed all the "Greens" at once there.

I mean, she had no problems murdering all the innocent pee ons that died when her giant dragon burst into the room, so why not kill your ACTUAL enemies, enemies who will end up killing her a few episodes from now??