Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Portable Jumper and Compressor

Looking for a jumper and compressor to have in the Tundra. Have looked at a few things, would like some suggestions/opinions. I understand how to choose the proper jumper based on engine. My biggest question is- are the jumper/compressor combos good, or is it better to buy them separately? I want to be able to inflate a light truck tire like what would be on a Tundra, when it's completely flat. Lead-acid, lithium ion or lithium poly battery? I want it to be useable/reliable in the cold. Thanks!
    Sawatch is French for scratchy.

Following... Read somewhere that using jumper cables on newer vehicles can mess with delicate CPU driven stuff and electronics. Guessing a jumper box would be safer.. Air compressor that runs without having to start your car would be nice plus.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

I don’t own one but I am on the market as well. I would recommend watching the project farm comparison on YouTube.

https://youtu.be/5zAgL2L4ILY

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Flippo View Post
    I don’t own one but I am on the market as well. I would recommend watching the project farm comparison on YouTube.

https://youtu.be/5zAgL2L4ILY

Thanks, that was good. Interesting that all of those he tested are lead-acid batteries. I wonder how the lithium battery models compare. They are a lot smaller and lighter.

Quote Originally Posted by natebob View Post
    Thanks, that was good. Interesting that all of those he tested are lead-acid batteries. I wonder how the lithium battery models compare. They are a lot smaller and lighter.
    Those? https://youtu.be/ixWPx79g3yk

I have this and like it: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09KH398RY/

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01J8Y90XG/

Both have served me well. But the air compressor is very slow. It will inflate a light truck tire from completely flat -- ask me how I know -- but it will take a long time.
    Last edited by Danno; 09-17-2022 at 12:26 PM.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

https://blackhawkmotorsports.com/pro...RoCitAQAvD_BwE

https://www.googleadservices.com/pag...ECAEQMA&adurl=

i use those two. The compressor is awesome. Plenty of duty cycle for 65-75 pounds in my truck tires and does it quickly. The noco is great and fires a dead diesel no problem. The smaller nocos work well for gas motors and bikes. Diesels need the extra cranking amps.

Quote Originally Posted by SoVT Joey View Post
    https://blackhawkmotorsports.com/pro...RoCitAQAvD_BwE

https://www.googleadservices.com/pag...ECAEQMA&adurl=

i use those two. The compressor is awesome. Plenty of duty cycle for 65-75 pounds in my truck tires and does it quickly. The noco is great and fires a dead diesel no problem. The smaller nocos work well for gas motors and bikes. Diesels need the extra cranking amps.
    I’ll 2nd the NOCO. Saved my ass a few times.

https://www.amazon.com/NOCO-GBX155-U...26900602&psc=1

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I do have a buddy that has the Milwaukee 12v inflator. It works well for 35 pounds and is convenient if you have the 12volt tools. The 18v inflator is ok. Too long to fill a big tire and it’s pretty inaccurate at lower psi.

I use a tiny cheap jumper like Dannos and an 18v Makita compressor for $120, but I always have to have a battery for the Makita ready. For me it's ideal because it's for a vehicle I only use on road trips, not my daily driver, otherwise I'd stress about having a charged makita battery every day.

It's way quicker to set up then my Smitty Built compressor which attaches to the vehicle battery and has a hose I have to stretch out to each wheel. The Makita compressor weighs less, takes up less space, goes to 120psi. I recommend this set up over more expensive options, but YRMV

Just to add, realized the OP mentioned a Tundra. I drive a Sequoia, so pretty similar (mine is old and has the 4.7 engine). The battery I linked has jumped me a few times and jumped others a few times as well, and the battery stays charged a really long time.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

The other day. I witnessed a buddy inflate a KO2 on his tundra from 10psi to 32 with a $50 rechargeable from AMZN…. I was pretty impressed.

I think you could get away with a cheaper product here… just develop a good schedule to keep it charged.

Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

i carry a $100 amazon special lead acid jumper compressor and it’s done the job well. if i was deflating to drive in the sticks regularly i’d go dedicated compressor

Quote Originally Posted by Flippo View Post
    Those? https://youtu.be/ixWPx79g3yk

Thanks, shoulda looked at his channel more.

Has anyone jumped a dead battery with a LI powered jumper that has been sitting in a cold vehicle for a long time? In this vid he lets them warm up for a bit, but what if that isn't an option?
    Last edited by natebob; 09-22-2022 at 08:33 PM.

I bought one of these 7 years ago for work. It's served us very well on outdoor education trips and field trips; I had the non-compressor version previously: https://www.amazon.com/Jump-N-Carry-.../dp/B000KPU8F2

Pretty big and heavy to have in your car everyday, but the compressor can do a tire in 5-10min and I've used the jumper on trucks, vans and school buses. The battery has pretty good life and is still going strong.

I've got a cheap $40 Li-ION jumper one for my car that's great. Super easy.

I have a viair 400p that I use weekly on my f150. It works so well and quickly that I realized I can’t remember the last time I used my pancake home compressor. The portable travels with me full time and I’m going from 20 psi back to 35 with maybe two minutes per tire? Never timed it but it isn’t long.

Recommend a lithium ion jumper pack - I bought one off Amazon a ways back and never leave home without it. Very safe way to jump yours or another vehicle. Go for the “bigger” battery rating (they’re still small). Jumped loads of others with it.

For tires I’ve been using this inflator below. $50 and works pretty quickly. I have a tire with a slow leak so I have used it every few days for the last couple months (until I feel like buying my new snow tires) and I’d highly recommend.
    it has a separate battery to charge at home (it also comes with a car charger)

AstroAI Cordless Tire Inflator Air Compressor 20V Rechargeable Battery Powered 160PSI Portable Handheld Air Pump with 12V Car Power Adapter Digital Pressure Gauge for Cars Motorcycles ACJY21LIDCBU https://a.co/d/iyfdIwZ
    skid luxury

OK so today was wife car inspection day. Of course the TPMS light was on (Yes, I know that doesn't matter for inspection) After passing I noticed that they didn't air up the tires as requested, meh. Dug out my handy dandy trusty mid 90s AC/Delco compressor paid for with Marlboro Miles..
    Top right
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	177.6 KB 
ID:	427531

So the valve stems on wife's 2020 Corolla seem to be smaller diameter so that thing was just hissing and not forming a good seal so I had to go to a pay air station to air up the two below 32.

Came back and pulled the trigger on this one. Hope I never need it but will report back if I do end up using it anytime soon.

JF.EGWO 2000A Car Jump Starter with Air Compressor, 20000mAh Battery Booster (Up to 8.0L Gas or 6.0L Diesel Engine) &150 PSI Tire Inflator, Built-in 2 USB Ports and 2 LED Light

Thanks for all the feedback and opinions here. The difference in amps and engine size callouts were helpful.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    OK so today was wife car inspection day. Of course the TPMS light was on (Yes, I know that doesn't matter for inspection) After passing I noticed that they didn't air up the tires as requested, meh. Dug out my handy dandy trusty mid 90s AC/Delco compressor paid for with Marlboro Miles..
    Top right
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	177.6 KB 
ID:	427531

So the valve stems on wife's 2020 Corolla seem to be smaller diameter so that thing was just hissing and not forming a good seal so I had to go to a pay air station to air up the two below 32.

Came back and pulled the trigger on this one. Hope I never need it but will report back if I do end up using it anytime soon.

JF.EGWO 2000A Car Jump Starter with Air Compressor, 20000mAh Battery Booster (Up to 8.0L Gas or 6.0L Diesel Engine) &150 PSI Tire Inflator, Built-in 2 USB Ports and 2 LED Light

Thanks for all the feedback and opinions here. The difference in amps and engine size callouts were helpful.
    I've been eyeing the 3000 amp version of this one. Looks good and gets good reviews. And yes, thanks to everyone for the comments and opinions.

I have 4 in 1 jump starter and it recharge for at least 3 hours. And some units will require 12-24 hours for a complete charge.

Thanks for sharing. Nice purchase

I use a Pittsburg automotive harbor freight piece of shit special as a compressor and it honestly works totally fine. It’s 12V 150 psi and cost about $60. I do a fair bit of off roading where I’m airing down my tires and airing back up at a trailhead and it gets my tires from 19 back up to 40 in ~10 mins for all 4, maybe a little shorter. Had it for 2.5 years and it’s still kicking, only downside is it gets hot as fuck

I have buddies with fancy mounted ARB compressors etc and theirs are about 1.5x faster than mine but they cost like 4-5x more
    Quote Originally Posted by other grskier View Post
    well, in the three years i've been skiing i bet i can ski most anything those 'pro's' i listed can, probably

Quote Originally Posted by babybear View Post
    I have a tire with a slow leak so I have used it every few days for the last couple months (until I feel like buying my new snow tires)
    The Auto version of slime will fix that. Just use 1/4-1/2 of what the bottle instructions say and see if it holds.

Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Wow, didn't know the lithium ion jump starters even existed. Based on the link above I just bought the Imazing 29 on amazon for 72 bucks. I prefer didicated systems over combo units.

I use a Gooloo 4000 for jump starting. Flawless so far.

Makita air compressor lives in truck box. It’s great for all sorts of tires large small + high lo pressure. You need to keep your hand on it while it’s running versus my buddys dewalt which you can set target pressure and walk away.