Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    No monthly fees for two years. Thanks for sharing about the self test link. Just read it and I really like your location every fifteen minutes by satellite via findme app with my wife. I did not know about that. Great feature

I'm a little confused about sharing my location on this system. I know my wife likes to see where I am when I'm out solo, do I have to manually send her my location via satellite or can she just check it like she can when I have cellular coverage?

This should link to the clear apple description on free satellite location sharing
    https://support.apple.com/guide/ipho...h2aac8ae20/ios

It seems to me that you have to manually send out your location, correct? That's definitely a nice feature with the inreach, to be able to track someone when they're on a big adventure. It seems like the other big advantage of the inreach right now is that you can send a text to your spouse/family/whatever if you're just running late or whatever. My wife and I use that all the time, it's one of the best things about inreach.

But I have to admit it all seems pretty dialed. Hopefully this will come to android by the time I'm ready for my next phone so I won't have to consider an iphone.

Yes I had to reread that. It’s a manual send up to once every fifteen minutes. Wonder if an app could take care of the manual part and just cycle if it doesn’t hit a satellite

If it works like "Find My..." it should send to your contact automatically assuming no wifi/cell. The article Apple posted just looks poorly worded.

Should I finally upgrade my busted up 8? The new phone looks so cool but I hate sending even partially working tech to the recycle bin because of the environmental impact. I guess it makes sense though for the safety feature, vastly improved camera, and to maintain my Apple fan-boi status.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    [...] It seems like the other big advantage of the inreach right now is that you can send a text to your spouse/family/whatever if you're just running late or whatever. My wife and I use that all the time, it's one of the best things about inreach.

But I have to admit it all seems pretty dialed. Hopefully this will come to android by the time I'm ready for my next phone so I won't have to consider an iphone.
    Agreed on that inReach advantage. But although I thought that I would end up using that feature a lot, I never did, ever since getting my first inReach device back in 2013.

And agreed on that level of dialed-ness. Watching the videos, and reading the various reviews, Apple seems to have done a commendable job not just on the technical magic, but also thinking this through from a SAR viewpoint.

I had no plans to replace my Android until it suffered some sort of catastrophic fate, but alas this is so compelling to ditch my inReach and instead have emergency communication via my phone at all times that I cancelled my inReach subscription and am eagerly awaiting my iPhone arrival tomorrow.
    (But I'll never give up my Windows laptop! And I will never give in to any other Apple products -- despite whatever my wife and our daughter keep buying...)
    Mo' skimo here: NE Rando Race Series

Quote Originally Posted by ex-powderbroker View Post
    Should I finally upgrade my busted up 8?
    You are a year from no support anymore
    I have a 7 and it canít take the new iOS this year

Quote Originally Posted by ex-powderbroker View Post
    If it works like "Find My..." it should send to your contact automatically assuming no wifi/cell. The article Apple posted just looks poorly worded.

Should I finally upgrade my busted up 8? The new phone looks so cool but I hate sending even partially working tech to the recycle bin because of the environmental impact. I guess it makes sense though for the safety feature, vastly improved camera, and to maintain my Apple fan-boi status.
    I went from the 8 to the 14 because the 8 was starting to fail- normally I wouldn't shell out for the newest version but I went for the 14 because of the satellite SOS feature, I think it's a good move (the basic 14 hosts the feature, no need to go Pro unless you're a big photog)

Wish they hadn't dropped the mini form factor...

If I could get a mini version of this, it would be the first time in my life that I've upgraded a phone in a single generation...but I just love the size of my 13 mini too much and I will cling to it as long as I can.