Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    No monthly fees for two years. Thanks for sharing about the self test link. Just read it and I really like your location every fifteen minutes by satellite via findme app with my wife. I did not know about that. Great feature

I'm a little confused about sharing my location on this system. I know my wife likes to see where I am when I'm out solo, do I have to manually send her my location via satellite or can she just check it like she can when I have cellular coverage?

This should link to the clear apple description on free satellite location sharing
    https://support.apple.com/guide/ipho...h2aac8ae20/ios

It seems to me that you have to manually send out your location, correct? That's definitely a nice feature with the inreach, to be able to track someone when they're on a big adventure. It seems like the other big advantage of the inreach right now is that you can send a text to your spouse/family/whatever if you're just running late or whatever. My wife and I use that all the time, it's one of the best things about inreach.

But I have to admit it all seems pretty dialed. Hopefully this will come to android by the time I'm ready for my next phone so I won't have to consider an iphone.

Yes I had to reread that. It’s a manual send up to once every fifteen minutes. Wonder if an app could take care of the manual part and just cycle if it doesn’t hit a satellite

If it works like "Find My..." it should send to your contact automatically assuming no wifi/cell. The article Apple posted just looks poorly worded.

Should I finally upgrade my busted up 8? The new phone looks so cool but I hate sending even partially working tech to the recycle bin because of the environmental impact. I guess it makes sense though for the safety feature, vastly improved camera, and to maintain my Apple fan-boi status.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    [...] It seems like the other big advantage of the inreach right now is that you can send a text to your spouse/family/whatever if you're just running late or whatever. My wife and I use that all the time, it's one of the best things about inreach.

But I have to admit it all seems pretty dialed. Hopefully this will come to android by the time I'm ready for my next phone so I won't have to consider an iphone.
    Agreed on that inReach advantage. But although I thought that I would end up using that feature a lot, I never did, ever since getting my first inReach device back in 2013.

And agreed on that level of dialed-ness. Watching the videos, and reading the various reviews, Apple seems to have done a commendable job not just on the technical magic, but also thinking this through from a SAR viewpoint.

I had no plans to replace my Android until it suffered some sort of catastrophic fate, but alas this is so compelling to ditch my inReach and instead have emergency communication via my phone at all times that I cancelled my inReach subscription and am eagerly awaiting my iPhone arrival tomorrow.
    (But I'll never give up my Windows laptop! And I will never give in to any other Apple products -- despite whatever my wife and our daughter keep buying...)
    Mo' skimo here: NE Rando Race Series

Quote Originally Posted by ex-powderbroker View Post
    Should I finally upgrade my busted up 8?
    You are a year from no support anymore
    I have a 7 and it can’t take the new iOS this year

Quote Originally Posted by ex-powderbroker View Post
    If it works like "Find My..." it should send to your contact automatically assuming no wifi/cell. The article Apple posted just looks poorly worded.

Should I finally upgrade my busted up 8? The new phone looks so cool but I hate sending even partially working tech to the recycle bin because of the environmental impact. I guess it makes sense though for the safety feature, vastly improved camera, and to maintain my Apple fan-boi status.
    I went from the 8 to the 14 because the 8 was starting to fail- normally I wouldn't shell out for the newest version but I went for the 14 because of the satellite SOS feature, I think it's a good move (the basic 14 hosts the feature, no need to go Pro unless you're a big photog)

Wish they hadn't dropped the mini form factor...

If I could get a mini version of this, it would be the first time in my life that I've upgraded a phone in a single generation...but I just love the size of my 13 mini too much and I will cling to it as long as I can.

Who saw this coming...

Dispatchers get accidental 911 calls from skiers because of iPhone crash technology

https://www.ksl.com/article/50528635...ash-technology

PARK CITY — New crash technology may trigger iPhones to dial 911, even if the user doesn't need help.

Summit County dispatchers are seeing an uptick in accidental emergency calls from skiers. The technology is designed to detect severe car crashes, but it's often accidentally activated at ski resorts.

If the Apple device senses a crash has taken place, a message appears on the screen with an alarm sound. The user can dismiss the alert, but if they don't respond within 20 seconds, an automated voice message is sent to the nearest 911 call center.

"We will get a call in that says the owner of this Apple Watch or iPhone has either had a severe crash or they've been involved in a car accident," said Summit County Dispatch Center supervisor Suzie Butterfield.

The crash detection technology is available on the iPhone 14, iPhone 14 Pro, Apple Watch Series 8, Apple Watch SE and Apple Watch Ultra. It sends dispatchers GPS coordinates of the user's location and their callback number.

"They won't respond to you when you first start talking because I don't even think they knew that they did it, but on callback ... they're usually like, 'Oh I'm sorry, I was skiing. Everything's fine,'" Butterfield said.

If the dispatcher can't get ahold of the iPhone user, they will alert ski patrol.

Butterfield said she receives three to five of the emergency calls from the Apple technology per day. She said none of the calls she's taken have been activated on purpose.

"They usually have no idea that they've even called us," Butterfield said.

She said she doesn't mind the emergency pocket dials.

"If we can avoid the emergencies, that's a good thing," she said.

Butterfield sees the technology as a tool, not an inconvenience.

"Somebody could ski and hit a tree and be knocked unconscious and not be visible to other skiers," she said.

Apple's crash detection is turned on by default. The dispatchers in the Summit County call center said keep it that way.

"We do not want you to turn the feature off," Butterfield said. "We would rather have you be safe. We don't mind taking that call because if something really did happen, we want to be able to get to you."
    style matters...

I mean, sure, but 3-5 calls a day for a dispatch center isn’t really that many. Seems like they are fine with it

Happened to me last weekend. Dispatch was pleasant but also you could tell they were handling many of these false alarms. Supposedly the latest iOS update addresses the issue.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

You can also disable the feature

Quote Originally Posted by cat in january View Post
    You can also disable the feature
    requires individual action of each of a gajillion owners...
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

True, hopefully the update fixes it

Quote Originally Posted by singlesline View Post
    Wish they hadn't dropped the mini form factor...

If I could get a mini version of this, it would be the first time in my life that I've upgraded a phone in a single generation...but I just love the size of my 13 mini too much and I will cling to it as long as I can.
    The regular iPhone 14 (sans appendages) seems small to me since I downsized from my prior Android phone.
    I was a bit worried about the battery life (as compared to some of the larger iPhone models) but so far it gets through a day with lots of excess battery power, sometimes even two days.

My only problem so far is that this notification won't go away -- and clicking on it does ... nothing!?!
    (Otherwise, the transition from Android to Apple was surprisingly easy.)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2041.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	201.9 KB 
ID:	437191
    Mo' skimo here: NE Rando Race Series

Quote Originally Posted by skiSilent_skiDeep View Post
    "Somebody could ski and hit a tree and be knocked unconscious and not be visible to other skiers," she said.
    While false alarms from apple watches come through dispatch pretty frequently, there was a young gal who hit a tree here and her friends found her, at least an hour later, using find my friends app. She was still unconscious. The tree was only a hundred yards up from the base area. I believe she was on skis again before the end of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    I mean, sure, but 3-5 calls a day for a dispatch center isn’t really that many. Seems like they are fine with it
    I suspect GADSAR (Golden BC) might disagree after dispatching a helicopter to a false alarm https://www.theglobeandmail.com/cana...se-alarms-for/ It won't always be obvious or easy to dismiss a false alarm and that will result in costs or even putting SAR personnel at risk.

Here ya go. Angeles Forest Highway accident and recovery.

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...ellite-feature
    Last edited by Hopeless Sinner; 12-16-2022 at 09:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeless Sinner View Post
    Here ya go. Angeles Forest Highway accident and recovery.

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...ellite-feature
    yeah saw that, good stuff! One great thing is how idiot-proof it is- doesn't sound like they knew they even had it but it walks you through the steps when you try to call 911.

Summit 911 dispatch gets 71 false calls and 0 true calls from the iphone crash detection

https://www.summitdaily.com/news/fal...patch-centers/
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by summit View Post
    Summit 911 dispatch gets 71 false calls and 0 true calls from the iphone crash detection

https://www.summitdaily.com/news/fal...patch-centers/
    https://buckrail.com/apples-new-cras...ch-and-rescue/

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    But Carr isn’t against all of Apple’s new technology. As a matter of fact, he’s a huge fan of its new Emergency SOS Satellite feature. This summer, a group from Apple went out to areas in Teton County with no cell service and tested the satellite functionality of the new iPhone 14. It worked great.

“When they were out here I was very pointed with them. I said look this is great, you’re going to take the ‘Search’ out of Search of Rescue, but I’m also very concerned about this crash detection stuff,” said Carr.

So what’s the solution before there’s a fix?

“My message is if you can turn off the functionality of crash detection please do,” Carr said.
    here's how to do that (I just did):

How to Disable Crash Detection on iPhone

Open the “Settings” app on iPhone.
    Go to Emergency SOS.
    Turn off “Call After Severe Crash”

I was worried I'd eventually need to downgrade to iPhone, but it looks like I'll be ok.

Meet "Snapdragon Satellite," a way to send satellite messages from a normal-sized Android phone. Unlike on the iPhone, this is real, two-way, SMS-style texting that you'll supposedly be able to use for more casual conversations instead of the iPhone's highly compressed, emergency-only, one-way questionnaire system that discourages composing a message."

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2023...em-than-apple/