Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    ^^^^yeah, good to see that. Anyone know if Qualcomm still provides antennas in the pixel phones? Not sure now that Google is making their own chips if the new feature will end up in pixel.

Most of you know I patrol on a tiny hill in Western NC. The iPhone 911 calls are a new thing for us. Jerry falls on a jump, lays there for a minute or so gathering his shit or waiting on friends. Damned thing goes off. PD calls us with a lat/long which is always way off. Dispatch multiple staff to find the source of the call and of course never do. Taking them out of position for other needs. PD tries to return the call, and because of shitty cell service in the area, rarely does anyone answer.

Rather annoying for our little hill, but I suspect it does have a lot of purpose in many settings.
    In order to properly convert this thread to a polyasshat thread to more fully enrage the liberal left frequenting here...... (insert latest democratic blunder of your choice).

Quote Originally Posted by TNKen View Post
    Most of you know I patrol on a tiny hill in Western NC. The iPhone 911 calls are a new thing for us. Jerry falls on a jump, lays there for a minute or so gathering his shit or waiting on friends. Damned thing goes off. PD calls us with a lat/long which is always way off. Dispatch multiple staff to find the source of the call and of course never do. Taking them out of position for other needs. PD tries to return the call, and because of shitty cell service in the area, rarely does anyone answer.

Rather annoying for our little hill, but I suspect it does have a lot of purpose in many settings.
    There was an article in our local paper recently lamenting the same thing. We have 5 of the busiest ski hills in the country here. Sounds miserable.

Let's be sure not to confuse two separate functions of the new iphones- one is the ability to place a 911 call via satellite when you have no cell signal (what this thread was started about), versus the automatic crash detection feature (discussed more recently above)- the latter is causing the problems on ski hills and can be turned off (not that most users will and it will probably continue to be a problem). The ability to manually call 911 from cell-free areas seems great and is something I'm glad to have!

Apple should be billed for every stupid unnecessary 911 call that results from their ridiculous "crash detection" function. JFC what a fucking stupid thing to put on a phone.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    Apple should be billed for every stupid unnecessary 911 call that results from their ridiculous "crash detection" function. JFC what a fucking stupid thing to put on a phone.
    I wonder if they could at least tune it up to only go off if the person had been going at least 30 MPH or something when the crash happened (in which case a skier could probably use some attention too)