Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    Am i naive to think he has money that isn’t the company? And that his kids are likely ok for money too?
    Like millions, right?
    I think that’s the point. They understand they have more than enough and don’t feel the need to sell it for billions.

Thus the “billionaires are a policy failure” line.

At the other end of the spectrum Bezos just built a $500 million yacht.

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    So they placed Patagucci into a trust they control? This is revolutionary rich guy behavior?

I find it very noble however their continued commitment to donate over 100 million per year to environmental initiatives. No other company I know of comes close. Regardless of ownership structure that is amazing and the real story.
    Big Scam to look good
    2% of the voting is part of this trust? pretty much nothing
    patagucci just says what you want to hear if you start digging deep and you'll find out its not much
    clothing is one of the biggest enviromental disasters out there not even getting into poor labor practices just cause they tell you their factory and working conditions are the best in the industry doesn't mean shit who has actually been there to tour the factory? and who needs multiple jackets? constandtly buying new clothes to look good is a waste and does nothing for the environment if you care you limit the number of shoes pants and shirts and jackets to just a few pieces in your closet no one needs a closet full of clothes

Put down the bong, fastfred, and at least pay a little attention before you react. Patagonia is known to be at the forefront of efforts to reduce the impacts of clothing manufacturing. They were among the very first, and most persistent, to use organic cotton and recycled materials in their clothing and to ensure their suppliers labor practices were fair.

And they’re pretty famous for their ad campaign urging consumers “Don’t buy this jacket” to get people to reduce purchases.

And if I read it right, the 2% of the stock for voting is 100% of the voting stock. I could be wrong, but I think that’s the case.

I have a vision of fastfred in a tweed jacket with patches smoking weed out of a meerschaum.

Patagonia certainly has a great marketing department. Combine that with a rabid customer base they are like the Tesla of the clothing world.

Placing your company into a trust you control is not 'giving it away' for nothing. It is taking it from one pocket in placing it in another, only that other pocket has substantial tax, legal, and apparently marketing advantages. Yvon still has his mansion in Grand Teton National Park worth 30-40 million, surrounded by all the accoutrements of rich lifestyle.

But none the less, they donate 100 mill to environmental causes, per year. That's good stuff. As others have said, he could just be Bezos or Musk or insert rich asshole here which would be inherently worse. Basically don't let good be the enemy of perfect.
    Live Free or Die

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    Big Scam to look good
    2% of the voting is part of this trust? pretty much nothing
    patagucci just says what you want to hear if you start digging deep and you'll find out its not much
    clothing is one of the biggest enviromental disasters out there not even getting into poor labor practices just cause they tell you their factory and working conditions are the best in the industry doesn't mean shit who has actually been there to tour the factory? and who needs multiple jackets? constandtly buying new clothes to look good is a waste and does nothing for the environment if you care you limit the number of shoes pants and shirts and jackets to just a few pieces in your closet no one needs a closet full of clothes
    oh fuck off and pretend to fuck sheined out camwhores fake Freddy, Jesus you are a tedious poseur

therea also a beachfront place in social (or was) that is worth millions, but they didn’t buy it for that

Patagonia certainly has a great marketing department. Combine that with a rabid customer base they are like the Tesla of the clothing world.

Placing your company into a trust you control is not 'giving it away' for nothing. It is taking it from one pocket in placing it in another, only that other pocket has substantial tax, legal, and apparently marketing advantages. Yvon still has his mansion in Grand Teton National Park worth 30-40 million, surrounded by all the accoutrements of rich lifestyle.

But none the less, they donate 100 mill to environmental causes, per year. That's good stuff. As others have said, he could just be Bezos or Musk or insert rich asshole here which would be inherently worse. Basically don't let good be the enemy of perfect.
    Mansion? Can you verify that, please? I’ve always heard it was a small cabin.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

its marketing

if you care about the environment you will not consume
    if you consume and talk about how you buy patagonia electric cars buy wind credits you are full of shit you are still consuming and the problem

100 million to environmental causes? what causes ? lawyers in washington? do they plant trees? the ceo of greenpeaces salairy? do the factories run on coal in some third or second world country or is reconstituded soy bean oil shipped in from europe

"don't buy this jacket" is the biggest coup on marketing

and I dont' give two fucks about the environment I just like pointing out everyone elses bullshit
    but my house is 55 degrees inside right now cause I pretend and don't turn my furnace on until late october

I live in a loincloth around a campfire throwing rocks to kill animals in a dirt hovel.

Some people can't see red. Assiron can't see ethics and core principles, the trees that make up the forest he calls "A great marketing department"...

Coonyard was banging away one day, wishing he was somewhere else. Pitched a fucking hammer-throwing resentment rage fit like a cosseted little French boy deprived of a toy. Said, 'If I'm gonna waste my time doing this when I really want to waste my time doing some monumental waste of time like surfing or climbing or fishing, Imma do it MY fucking way and fuck the consequences. It's my fucking life, ain'tit? Goddamn right it is!...'.

And so here we are, and we all know about Coonyard's story and now we're reading how he's structuring his company so it won't fall into the hands of a board of Assirons.
    It's his fucking company and his fucking life, ain'tit? He's running both the best way he knows how. Good on him.

Yvon walks the talk

It’s the visuals that make a move/statement like Patagonia’s so important. People see and aspire to be these wealthy individuals. Very few look at me and want to be me, (and that number is maybe inflated by my own ego ) even my 10yo daughter aspires to be something greater than a minimalist consumer (fuck you disney) despite the obviously superior morals and life choices I provide as example. Even if every billionaire gave up all their (extra) mansions, yachts, jets, etc, we wouldn’t fix the climate problem tomorrow. But by that example, many many others would change their habits. That’s just human nature. Now most billionaires are corrupt to begin with - it’s how they got to where they are in most cases, and that is why it is a policy failure - they need help with their issues.

I don’t know Yvon’s personal details. But the image he and his family is presenting is that you don’t need to attain their billions, and the shit it buys has not and does not buy their happiness. Taking the capitalist model, keeping Patagonia profit seeking, but placing those profits aside and using them to help fix the effects of our consumption is not a bad strategy either in the short term. Is it enough long term, guess we’ll see.

Quote Originally Posted by byates1 View Post
    I live in a loincloth around a campfire throwing rocks to kill animals in a dirt hovel.
    You have a loincloth?

LUCKY
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

^^^ Even more lucky, the animals he kills live in dirt hovels

The balls on this dude to turn up his nose at greedy, narcissistic ethos of our times!

Discuss the efficacy of this move, dissect and re-dissect the ethical ramifications of his every life move, remaining assets etc. all you want, but Yvon is a straight up gangster. Nothing but respect!

It's really easy to shit on things like this, poke holes in them, play the "what if" game, but at the end of the day a bunch more money is going to the environment, and not into some hedge fund's portfolio. That is a win.

I hope he and his family are comfortable financially. They should be able to reap the rewards of their work. That isn't some sort of hypocrisy, that's taking what you need, and what you've earned, and giving the rest back.

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    .....I just like pointing out everyone elses bullshit
    me too, so: your posts in this thread are full of eye-rolling black and white argument armchair superior caka

love ya fred, but don't always go all-in on yer persona

Goddam, nobody can do anything good. We're fucked. If you want to do good, you need to eschew all wealth and walk the life of an ascetic. Anything less and you're a fucking capitalist pig. But we're not all going back to the hunter gatherer life, so corporations can and will exist and exert enormous power in our daily lives. But since nobody who cares about the world and is pure can be involved with such things, they will always be run by greedy capitalists.

Isn't it possible to recognize that Yvon has wealth, but is ALSO trying to do right by the world? The only way some of y'all will say "good thing!" is if he gives away all his earthly possessions and walks the earth like Kane? He's not allowed to own a nice house or god forbid a mansion and still be a good person doing good things? The ideological purity demanded by some of you is off the charts. And reading is fundamental, yes they transferred 2% to the trust, which is all the voting stock of the company. The other 98% got transferred to a non-profit. So yes, the trust they established runs the company. The non-profit owns 98% of the company. Trusts can be manipulated, sure, but they do have rules. But even if the 2% is viewed as something they retain, even if we ignore the trust aspect (and the $17 M they paid in taxes to do it), they still gave 98% of their company to a non-profit.

Sure, it's good marketing. Who would argue that. But FFS, can't we accept that marketing or not, whether they stay wealthy or not, this is a huge giveaway intended to do good for the planet? Some of you are just such assholes to not even be able to acknowledge that.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Epic run on sentences though he and and sfb should rap battle would be epic both dudes would type forever hard to pick a clear favorite might go insane if it went on forever don't know though could be epic could be crazy though hard to say though

Quote Originally Posted by byates1 View Post
    Epic run on sentences though he and and sfb should rap battle would be epic both dudes would type forever hard to pick a clear favorite might go insane if it went on forever don't know though could be epic could be crazy though hard to say though
    sfb vs freddy or sfb vs danno? The former would be a true rap battle. The latter might just be an actual battle, on sfb's part.

Or is it a slap battle?

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Goddam, nobody can do anything good. We're fucked. If you want to do good, you need to eschew all wealth and walk the life of an ascetic. Anything less and you're a fucking capitalist pig. But we're not all going back to the hunter gatherer life, so corporations can and will exist and exert enormous power in our daily lives. But since nobody who cares about the world and is pure can be involved with such things, they will always be run by greedy capitalists.

Isn't it possible to recognize that Yvon has wealth, but is ALSO trying to do right by the world? The only way some of y'all will say "good thing!" is if he gives away all his earthly possessions and walks the earth like Kane? He's not allowed to own a nice house or god forbid a mansion and still be a good person doing good things? The ideological purity demanded by some of you is off the charts. And reading is fundamental, yes they transferred 2% to the trust, which is all the voting stock of the company. The other 98% got transferred to a non-profit. So yes, the trust they established runs the company. The non-profit owns 98% of the company. Trusts can be manipulated, sure, but they do have rules. But even if the 2% is viewed as something they retain, even if we ignore the trust aspect (and the $17 M they paid in taxes to do it), they still gave 98% of their company to a non-profit.

Sure, it's good marketing. Who would argue that. But FFS, can't we accept that marketing or not, whether they stay wealthy or not, this is a huge giveaway intended to do good for the planet? Some of you are just such assholes to not even be able to acknowledge that.
    I would just like to clarify that I think it is noble and should be celebrated the amount of money Patagonia spends annually on environmental causes. That is good work.

But it is blatant marketing bullshit to say he "gave away" his company ... to a trust he controls. He didn't give away anything.

Since this is TGR though this has turned into a binary asshole or not debate with zero nuance. I'm literally saying he is a rich guy who is giving back, but he is still keeping things so he remains rich. There are worse tradeoffs in the world ala Bezos who just buys a bigger yacht and rides his magic tax funded space dildo from his Texas ranch.
    Live Free or Die

I would just like to clarify that I think it is noble and should be celebrated the amount of money Patagonia spends annually on environmental causes. That is good work.

But it is blatant marketing bullshit to say he "gave away" his company ... to a trust he controls. He didn't give away anything.
    He gave away 98% of his company to a non-profit. He gave 2% to a trust he and his family and some advisers (according to the article) control. Trusts do have rules, too. But like I said, even if you prefer to think he retained full control of the company with that 2%, HE GAVE AWAY 98% OF HIS COMPANY, NOT TO A TRUST HE CONTROLS.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    He gave away 98% of his company to a non-profit. He gave 2% to a trust he and his family and some advisers (according to the article) control. Trusts do have rules, too. But like I said, even if you prefer to think he retained full control of the company with that 2%, HE GAVE AWAY 98% OF HIS COMPANY, NOT TO A TRUST HE CONTROLS.
    It also solidifies what happens to the company when he retires/dies. I think that matters as much as how the daily decisions are made right now.

see everyone is trying to justify their consumption? wtf
    then holding some guy whose whole marketing scheme is to talk about how he cares about slave labor and the environment? people eat that shit up
    do these workers get an 8 hr day one 15 min break in the morning and afternoon then a 1 hr lunch? doubtful
    then using oil based synthetics to make clothing that most of us don't really need

and yes I am buying my first puffy jacket this year can't wait
    I love money and I love consuming

I idle my vehicle deliberately, spill gas at the gas station and ran over a family of beloved ducks on the way out