Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Camp Hale Natl. Monument

President Biden is likely to designate a historic military site in Colorado as a new national monument in the coming weeks, according to two people familiar with the matter, which could bar mining and drilling there.

Colorado’s Camp Hale, a World War II-era military training ground along the Continental Divide in the Rocky Mountains, and the Tenmile Range have attracted visitors for their stunning landscapes and provide habitat for wildlife including elk, bears, otters, lynxes and migratory songbirds.

Biden has yet to create a national monument since taking office. The new designation would bypass gridlock on Capitol Hill, where Republicans have opposed legislation sponsored by Colorado Democrats — including Sen. Michael F. Bennet (D-Colo.), who faces a tougher-than-expected reelection race — to permanently protect these sites and other historic state landscapes.

The official designation of the Camp Hale-Continental Divide National Monument could come as soon as this month, although no final decisions have been made, according to one person familiar with the matter, who like others spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss private deliberations.

During World War II, Camp Hale served as training grounds for the U.S. Army’s 10th Mountain Division, housing up to 17,000 troops. At an elevation of 9,200 feet, the site was ideal for training in skiing, snowshoeing and rock climbing — skills that ultimately helped the soldiers defeat the Axis in Italy. After the war, some of the same soldiers who toiled at what they called “Camp Hell” returned to the region to help launch Colorado’s booming ski industry.

Bennet has urged Biden to protect the area by using his authority under the 1906 Antiquities Act, which gives the president wide latitude to safeguard public lands and waters for the enjoyment of all Americans. The senator spoke to the president about issue on Tuesday.

Bennet’s bid for a third term has attracted national attention as Democrats battle to keep their razor-thin majority in the Senate. His Republican opponent, Denver business executive Joe O’Dea, acknowledges that Trump lost the 2020 election, unlike many other GOP candidates in toss-up states like Arizona and Pennsylvania.

A White House spokesman declined to comment on the potential monument announcement. Bennet’s office did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Since taking office, Biden has used his powers to restore full protections to three national monuments that had been slashed by President Donald Trump, including Utah’s Bears Ears and Grand Staircase-Escalante — known for their historical treasures of Native American art and settlements.

Biden invoked the Antiquities Act to protect 1.36 million acres in Bears Ears — slightly larger than the original boundary that President Barack Obama established in 2016 — while also restoring the 1.87 million-acre Grand Staircase-Escalante monument. Biden also reimposed fishing limits in the Northeast Canyons and Seamounts Marine National Monument off the coast of New England that Trump had opened to commercial fishing.
    Colorado Mags, what say you?
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

All good as long as it doesn't affect mtb access on the CT as it goes through there.

Sent from my SM-G996U1 using Tapatalk

It’s a cool concept, because of the history. But there’s not much there.

Little Camp Hale history:
    The Commandant wouldn’t let the troops go too Leadville very often. Because it was still a bustling mining town, with a Red Light District.

He preferred they go to a sleepy little town called Aspen.

While Camp Hale has a lot of history, and is presently important recreationally (for the Colorado Trail, 10th mt hut access, snowmobiling), there isn't much to see there. So long as the designation doesn't impact the existing uses, I'm fine with it.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I think it is fucking cool. 10th mountain division deserves a shitload of respect. Reroute the CT if you have to. That downhill sucks anyway.

Housed up to 17 thousand? Wow. Assume much of that is gone?

Hung out w a 10th MTN skier at a cc I was running years ago. Cool guy. In his 90's now.

Al soria. Licence plate "xth mtn"

the 10th Mtn, 99th Inf Btn (Separate) and the First Special Service Force (The Black Devils) were the 3 ski mountaineering units that trained at Hale. The 99th was manned by Norwegian Americans. The FSSF was a joint Canadian / American commando group. 10th consisted of mostly collage ski boys and got the best press. None ever used skis after leaving Camp Hale.
    Seeker of Truth. Dispenser of Wisdom. Protector of the Weak. Avenger of Evil.

never skied agin? none of 'em?.?... you sure 'bout that?

In combat.

99.9% Positive. My dad was in the Darby's Rangers that got folded into the FSSF when the Rangers dot wiped out at Anzio. I'm a WWII historian. I did hear a 90 year old 10th Mtn vet say he remembered skiing into battle but he was mistaken. If you know how memory works it makes sense. He put two memories together. Pretty common finding in my research. Fun fact. Col Darby formed the Rangers and after 600 Rangers went into Cisterna and only 7 came back he was put in command of the 10th to lead them from Rome to the top of Italy. Darby died in Torbole. Walking from a meeting in town to his car without his helmet on and when a single mortar round entered town he took shrapnel to his head.

If it's just a National Monument designation it shouldn't affect MTB access. It may affect motorized access though (not sure about snowmobiles). That was why a National Monument for Boulder White Clouds was fought by the moto community - they would have lost access but MTBs would have retained in. We ride on plenty of National Monuments....Sequoia, Santa Rosa Mtns, Angeles etc. I think monuments get access to more funding for management than just National forest land, which could be a good thing. That said I'm not familiar with this specific proposal.

fuck that shit
    if I wanted to live in boulder I'd live in boulder where there is endless gov't owned land paid for by tax dollars that can't be touched by mere mortals
    this is just another land grab by the elites to limit access to public lands I've had enough of all these wilderness national park and national monument land designations
    people forcing there opinions and ideas on others and limiting my enjoyment of public land

btw camp hale is nothing more than a massive bulldozed flattened out destruction of land in the mtns it all needs to be remediated and turned back into the medows and wetlands it once was before the gov't destroyed it

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    While Camp Hale has a lot of history, and is presently important recreationally (for the Colorado Trail, 10th mt hut access, snowmobiling), there isn't much to see there. So long as the designation doesn't impact the existing uses, I'm fine with it.
    Pretty much this. Lots of history, not much left to see now. It's a major access point for snowmobiles into the Vail Pass Recreation Area and losing that would really suck - but limiting motorized travel to the roads through there would be fine.

Camp Hale at 15:00

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Pretty much this. Lots of history, not much left to see now. It's a major access point for snowmobiles into the Vail Pass Recreation Area and losing that would really suck - but limiting motorized travel to the roads through there would be fine.
    This is the woke environmental groups motive in making it a monument so they can restrict access to public land has anyone said they are going to throw down 10 million to rehabilitate the area doubtful just enough money goes w the proposal to put up boulders signs and fences and restrict public use of public land

I am interested in input as I will be meeting with some folks involved to discuss a certain aspect.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    The question would be where the boundaries extend to for nonmotorized restrictions and road limitations.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by summit View Post
    The question would be where the boundaries extend to for nonmotorized restrictions and road limitations.
    Personally I would be OK with limiting sleds to designated roads ONLY down in the flats in Camp Hale proper. I wouldn't support any change to access designations anywhere above that.

And I'm only OK with that because there's never enough snow to properly brap around in the meadows down there anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    This is the woke environmental groups motive in making it a monument so they can restrict access to public land has anyone said they are going to throw down 10 million to rehabilitate the area doubtful just enough money goes w the proposal to put up boulders signs and fences and restrict public use of public land
    Sneaky way to protect land from development by mining and oil interests. So it seems.

https://www.steamboatpilot.com/news/...ment-creation/

“Specifically, we urge your action under the Antiquities Act to designate Colorado’s Camp Hale and the Tenmile Range as the Camp Hale – Continental Divide National Monument,”

duh they have been trying to make the ten mile range wilderness area for twenty years at least
    kiss the mtn biking up there goodbye
    but some how the boundary will magically work around the ski area funny how that all works

Well, that's rough. I'd like to ski at Cooper in the annual 10th Mtn Ski In someday to show off my Stem Christiania.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ski-Cooper-Ski-Down-1.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	1.94 MB 
ID:	426353

Given the amount of historic and current motorized use in the area, both recreational and commercial, it is highly unlikely they will ever try and restrict access, and would be in for quite a fight if they did. The main area of designation is the valley floor were the old buildings were and as was mentioned above somewhere, it's my understanding that the main goal of the designation is to get more funds for remediation and rehab of the Eagle River that Fred so desperately wants. Fred will be glad to know that the FS and conservation groups already have plans for that work and have been working on the remediation part of it already. Give them a ring Fred, they always love volunteers!
    "They don't think it be like it is, but it do."

It's a big meh burger. I personally find the designation unnecessary.
    In other news, Nova guides just sold out to a sled outfit out of Yellowstone.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Camp Hale is a small part of the CORE Act; I hope the rest of it moves forward.
    https://coreact.org/core-act-story-map/

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    In other news, Nova guides just sold out to a sled outfit out of Yellowstone.
    Nova helped us out immensely during one rescue situation out there; indebted to those guys.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Joey Joe Joe Junior Shabadoo View Post
    Given the amount of historic and current motorized use in the area, both recreational and commercial, it is highly unlikely they will ever try and restrict access, and would be in for quite a fight if they did. The main area of designation is the valley floor were the old buildings were and as was mentioned above somewhere, it's my understanding that the main goal of the designation is to get more funds for remediation and rehab of the Eagle River that Fred so desperately wants. Fred will be glad to know that the FS and conservation groups already have plans for that work and have been working on the remediation part of it already. Give them a ring Fred, they always love volunteers!
    Lol I know all about the current work going on to remediat just didn't fit my narrative so I conversely left it all out of my rant but no one should take me seriously I hope they don't

The ten mile wilderness gets my panties in a bunch though actually all wilderness and monument shit gets me bent

Oh well four deep on a six pack of dbl ipas fuck colorado