Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    I got my ARE CX Evo from a used truck on the dealer's lot, thankfully it was the same color. Rear curved frameless window looks cool, but some water leaks through the corners. If I were to buy a new one, it would be RSI Smartcap. They look chopped compared to fiberglass toppers, but I prefer function and customization over aesthetics.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Figured I'd update this thread since I started it.

I got quotes for new fully loaded toppers for Snugtop and ARE. The Snugtop Sportliner was $4700 with a 6 week lead time and the ARE MX was $4400 with a 10/12 week lead time.

I'm still waiting on a quote on a similar Ranch topper too, but based on their website I think it would be around $4500.

While the prices for new seem reasonable enough I'm keeping my eyes peeled for something used instead.

Take a look at RSI Smartcap - really cool set up - saw them at an overland show and was impressed compared to other fiberglass toppers… they offer various configs and are made of stainless steel vs fiberglass….

https://www.na.rsismartcap.com/

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Looks like GFC is making a non-camper topper now. Considering their price seems to be in line with the numbers the OP posted above, it could be an interesting option.

The RSI and GFC are pretty nice, but I don’t think I could stomach $4k for a topper.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    The RSI and GFC are pretty nice, but I don’t think I could stomach $4k for a topper.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    I'm right there with you, but it sounds like that is now the price range for a new traditional FG topper.

When I priced a new ARE for my current truck back in 2018 I was a little under $3k. Ugh.

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    I'm right there with you, but it sounds like that is now the price range for a new traditional FG topper.

When I priced a new ARE for my current truck back in 2018 I was a little under $3k. Ugh.
    I thought the same. Mine was over $3k with windoors and just a few other small upgrades, (which my dog promptly chewed off).

Of course I think the GFC was only $4k back then, but had a 1 year wait list.

I paid $1000 for my basic Leer for a Tacoma, about a year ago. I can't imagine 3k worth of functionality increases with the RSI or GFC.

Sample of one, but I have been hugely disappointed with my Century topper. (Lower tier Leer product) .
    It might have been the installers (friggin’ diesel shop that specializes in making coal-rollers), but it leaks like a sieve. From multiple places. I have taken it off and put on topper foam twice, siliconed every window, taillight mount, etc, and it still leaks.
    The other thing I hate is the prominent lip that goes over the tailgate, and sticks out a few inches. Wasn’t bad in the summer/fall, but it makes opening the tailgate when there is snow on it a royal PITA.
    Tried to get a more prominent handle, but they don’t make one.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

I have a leer 100xr purchased new last year from Sam t evans here in SLC. Thing cost me 4k.

The windoor build quality was shit and I had to warranty the first one due to misalignment and leaking. The molding was not applied properly. New one has similar molding issues and looks trashy. We got some heavy rain earlier this week and the inside of my truck bed was wet. I’m unsure exactly where it came from though.

“I can’t do anything about how it comes from the factory “ was the response from my sales rep. I begged to differ but he said that is what they’re producing these days.

Not super satisfied with the $4000 purchase but these things are only produced by a few outfits and wait time was 8weeks.

I paid $1000 for my basic Leer for a Tacoma, about a year ago. I can't imagine 3k worth of functionality increases with the RSI or GFC.
    I was comparing new to new. I have a $400 Leer on my truck FWIW.

A tip I've heard that I will use going forward when shopping for a new topper, is to search trucks for sale in your area. I've had a buddy buy two toppers off of trucks for sale by reaching out and offering fair market value for the topper and showing up that day to get it. Doesn't really hurt the resale on the truck at all, win win.
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Quote Originally Posted by Phall View Post
    A tip I've heard that I will use going forward when shopping for a new topper, is to search trucks for sale in your area. I've had a buddy buy two toppers off of trucks for sale by reaching out and offering fair market value for the topper and showing up that day to get it. Doesn't really hurt the resale on the truck at all, win win.
    that is a great idea !
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Yeah, I listed a truck for sale and immediately got a bunch of offers for the topper. Not a bad idea.

Also, when trading a truck in, take the topper off and sell it separate because it doesn't affect trade in value. Shitty tires or a broken windshield does however ding you. Weird how that works. Fuckers.

FKNA. Great idea. shoulda thought about that.

Anyone have any info on RLD toppers? They look like slightly burlier Smartcaps. I may have found a used one but it's a long ways to drive to not buy it if I do.

Link here. https://www.rlddesignusa.com/truck-caps-canopies/

brilliant. a topper on a truck I am buying is a big selling point, but yeah, in general they do not increase resale value much.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    brilliant. a topper on a truck I am buying is a big selling point, but yeah, in general they do not increase resale value much.
    In fact the dealers will often remove the shell when they acquire trucks to resell. I bought one for my last tundra from a used car dealer, $200

Quote Originally Posted by jmedslc View Post
    I have a leer 100xr purchased new last year from Sam t evans here in SLC. Thing cost me 4k.
    Bought same topper, plus Thule bars and a few inside small additions in 2010 for my Tundra. $1900 for price/time comparison.

Good ole Sam T. Got a leaker as well. Leer did replace both full slide windows after putting up a stink. Still leaked inside but not nearly as bad. Finally got “there’s nothing more we can do”.

I’m 12 years the leaks haven’t really gotten worse so I guess there’s that.
    "boobs just make the world better really" - Woodsy

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzworthy View Post
    Bought same topper, plus Thule bars and a few inside small additions in 2010 for my Tundra. $1900 for price/time comparison.

Good ole Sam T. Got a leaker as well. Leer did replace both full slide windows after putting up a stink. Still leaked inside but not nearly as bad. Finally got “there’s nothing more we can do”.

I’m 12 years the leaks haven’t really gotten worse so I guess there’s that.
    I'll have to look at my model, but it was $1000 from Sam T Evans last summer. Bare bones, which is all I need really. I put on some extra dust seals to keep out the tenacious moon dust around here, but other than that its been fine.

Honestly those I know with the inexpensive models are much happier with their toppers.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzworthy View Post
    Honestly those I know with the inexpensive models are much happier with their toppers.
    I hope I haven’t jinxed myself.

No direct experience - but have also seen them at an overland show. They are nice and have some good customizations but this from there site - if anyone is looking for new, but if you can find a deal on used tans it meets your needs you’d skirt the build line and get it quicker - obviously factor in your travel costs to pick it up….

https://www.rlddesignusa.com/

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1663874087.568631.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	783.5 KB 
ID:	427184

Quote Originally Posted by ASmileyFace View Post
    Anyone have any info on RLD toppers? They look like slightly burlier Smartcaps. I may have found a used one but it's a long ways to drive to not buy it if I do.

Link here. https://www.rlddesignusa.com/truck-caps-canopies/

I hope I haven’t jinxed myself.

Doubtful. If it’s great outta the gate it should hold up fine.
    I had a Raider topper on an old Dakota. Bare bones and best topper I’ve had.

Quote Originally Posted by jmedslc View Post
    In fact the dealers will often remove the shell when they acquire trucks to resell. I bought one for my last tundra from a used car dealer, $200
    Also super easy/cheap to paint to match your truck