Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    This rules, thanks

Sent from my Pixel 5a using Tapatalk
    Day Man. Fighter of the Night Man. Champion of the Sun. Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone.

My window is in early March. The gathering will be much later I know, but I intend to be at Vendul's about March 6-10. Maybe I'll see one or two of you then.

Regarding Andermatt-Disentis lift tickets online at
    https://www.andermatt-sedrun-disenti...edrun-disentis

From nfo@asd-marketing.ch:

Our webshop responsible is going to do some more tests on our webshop. As soon as all the issues are solved, you should be able to buy ski passes online, I guess about start/mid October 2022.

​Hope to welcome you soon in Andermatt+Sedrun+Disentis.

Best regards

But I just checked again and it seems to allow purchase. Be sure to buy the versions that include the train, the Matterhorn-Gotthard Bahn.

And, sorry Beder, but I couldn't make it earlier between family commitments and the German/Swiss school vacations which end March 5. Maybe others will show up that second week of March.

Gemsstock tram set to open on October 29.
    Last edited by Buster Highmen; 09-27-2022 at 09:12 AM.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by Beder View Post
    My window is in early March. The gathering will be much later I know, but I intend to be at Vendul's about March 6-10. Maybe I'll see one or two of you then.
    I'll be in Engelberg those dates if you make it up that way.
    Everybody's gotta have parkas. I'm talking custom parkas. Two words: "client development." They see all of you out there cutting the powder in your matching Schweikart & Cokely parkas, you'll make an impression. You will thank me later.

Cool, I’m starting my trip in Engelberg. Will be in touch

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Good decision. It's wild.

If it's low visibility, ski either Brunni where there's some trees or go find the little blue 8 person cable car just above Untertrubsee which serves a shoulder with some trees.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    If it's low visibility, ski either Brunni where there's some trees or go find the little blue 8 person cable car just above Untertrubsee which serves a shoulder with some trees.
    Awesome. I'm making notes

Awesome. I'm making notes

Off the Stand lift skiers skies right is the traverse to the Laub, a must do if the conditions are decent. Have avy gear, people do die on it, so be judicious. It's huDge, like 4k vert of consistent 30+ degrees. The right side is a little safer, but stay away from the right edge, it's a big cliff. It's a long walk out from the base of the Laub or a 1 or 2 chf cat ride.The glacier run under the rotair, the Steinberg is cool, but I spent a lot of time up over on the Jochpass and Jochstock lifts. Skiers right off the Jochstock, the Sulz, is great, just don't ski over any blind rollers, there's some cliffs in there with enormous icicles hanging over their mouths. The big sidecountry run off the top backside is the Galtiberg but that really requires experienced partners or a guide and great conditions.

And a plug for my pal Dan Loutrel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbWpxcb_1vc
    He leads variations on the Urner Haute Route, the skiers Haute Route, and knows everything between Disentis and Engelberg really well, plus lots of obscure spots.
    NOTE: If you book and don't cancel within 10 days, you pay full price.
    Last edited by Buster Highmen; 10-02-2022 at 08:48 AM.

Ok. Pulling the trigger. Hopefully still space at Vendul's place. Look forward to making some turns with you guys (and gals if possible). Toodles!
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

Quote Originally Posted by garyfromterrace View Post
    Ok. Pulling the trigger. Hopefully still space at Vendul's place. Look forward to making some turns with you guys (and gals if possible). Toodles!
    Bring xxxer and some canadian waitresses
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

Darn it, just isn't my year for this. Bummed but glad you all will crush it and hope to make it another time

Sent from my Pixel 5a using Tapatalk
    Day Man. Fighter of the Night Man. Champion of the Sun. Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by kokomas View Post
    Darn it, just isn't my year for this. Bummed but glad you all will crush it and hope to make it another time
    You'll be missed.

A little am@ st0ke:

Lots of good shots of the Guspis in the first section of this one:

And Felsental:

Last edited by Buster Highmen; 10-09-2022 at 09:19 PM.

A little more Anderm@ st0ke: Here's Dan Loutrel, Boston expat who ski bummed his way into a UIAGM certification and his guiding service, https://www.andermatt-guides.ch/

A little more Anderm@ st0ke: Here's Dan Loutrel, Boston expat who ski bummed his way into a UIAGM certification and his guiding service, https://www.andermatt-guides.ch/

That was pretty impressive swiss german mr Dan spoke! I was counting off days for '23, but just can't make it. Hope and plan for '24 to be a bit easier.

I’m more impressed by his skiing than his schwitzerdutch

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando TGR Forums

Funny Dan story:

We hired a dude to work for our agency in the snow-world. I manage him. We finally met in person last week for some staff training and got to talking about ski trips. I talked about the Urner and swiss-american guide who I went with. Dude went "you mean Dan. I did the Urner with him last year after my buddy read some trip report on an online ski forum."

Small world.

Two of my friends are going on the Urner with him this year for their honeymoon.

Wondering when I start making a commission....

Regarding Andermatt-Disentis lift tickets online at
    https://www.andermatt-sedrun-disenti...edrun-disentis

From nfo@asd-marketing.ch:

Our webshop responsible is going to do some more tests on our webshop. As soon as all the issues are solved, you should be able to buy ski passes online, I guess about start/mid October 2022.

​Hope to welcome you soon in Andermatt+Sedrun+Disentis.

Best regards

But I just checked again and it seems to allow purchase. Be sure to buy the versions that include the train, the Matterhorn-Gotthard Bahn.

And, sorry Beder, but I couldn't make it earlier between family commitments and the German/Swiss school vacations which end March 5. Maybe others will show up that second week of March.

Gemsstock tram set to open on October 29.
    Did you get a PM today?
    Not sure if I fubared the send...

Correct me if I'm wrong here: If you get the half price pass, you can only buy your ticket daily, one at a time. You can't say 'I want to ski for 4 days, here's my half off pass'.
    That said, it's still easy, efficient and inexpensive.

I'm learning that there are 2 types of half off approaches.

The half price cards for the trains, and the half price card offered by the ski arena mgmnt.
    Trains = SBB
    SkiArena = ASDM
    Last edited by Djongo Unchained; 11-03-2022 at 12:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong here: If you get the half price pass, you can only buy your ticket daily, one at a time. You can't say 'I want to ski for 4 days, here's my half off pass'.
    That said, it's still easy, efficient and inexpensive.
    Yup. Day Tickets only.
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

What's the best place to book a flight, (I've always booked direct with carrier) travelocity (or similar) or direct with the airline?
    While checking both, they have different, (conflicting availability info) showing
    Any carriers more ski bag friendly than others? I thought it was mentions in the other thread

Any preference on travel insurance, or get a flex ticket, or both?

There's a distinction between the AndermattSedrunDisentis SkiArena half price card and the SBB half price card.
    The immediately above remarks are valid for the SkiArena half price card.

With regard to the SBB half price card, ASD says:
    The SBB half-fare or GA travelcard provides discounts on return journeys, one-way trips and the round trip Andermatt – Gütsch – Schneehüenerstock – Oberalppass – Andermatt (with MGB).
    Prices with the half-fare travelcard
    The half-fare travelcard can only be used for offline purchases.

So if one gets the SBB half price card, expect to be Djongoed by the conductor on the morning train.

Personally, I just go for the multiday pass and a Eurail Pass for the days I need transfers in Switzerland.

Quote Originally Posted by k2skier112 View Post
    What's the best place to book a flight, (I've always booked direct with carrier) travelocity (or similar) or direct with the airline?
    While checking both, they have different, (conflicting availability info) showing
    Any carriers more ski bag friendly than others? I thought it was mentions in the other thread

Any preference on travel insurance, or get a flex ticket, or both?
    I go scan kayak for prices using the +-3 day scheduling mode, setting up a notification for price changes. g00gle offers that too.

https://www.kayak.com/flights and when you choose the dates, opt for the flexibility where it says departures: exact and change to departures: +- 3 days.
    Avoid United or any United partners, Iceland Air, Air Canada.
    I really, really recommend a Euro carrier, Air France is worth the extra $100. British Air and Lufthansa are good. KLM is decent except they fly through Schipol (Amsterdam) where I seem to have a curse other travellers don't experience.

Once you chose via kayak, they redirect you to the airline website for ticketing. I actually identify the flight on the airlines website, then buy the ticket through the banks card services on points.

I used to just commit, but this year, I bought a cancellable ticket in case my knee dissolves.

After landing, for the train:
    Then either use the sbb.ch website listed in the first post in this thread or, if you're travelling more than 2 days within Switzerland, use the Eurail site to get a pass for your travel days inside Switzerland. Since I'l have 4 travel days, I'll be getting the Eurail pass which is 253chf for 4 days for an adult or 203chf for 64+.

And yes, this is a real ratsnest of options and comparisons will yield only a few $ in differences.

Thanks

Odd, I chose Lufthansa to price and their flight in the US is on United, then out of the US is on Lufthansa. What's so bad with United?

United blows on everything from baggage fees to food to attitude, rescheduling and especially that feotid writhing cadaver they call customer service.

Pay the little extra for 1 checked bag ( a rollerbag is really essential as mentioned a thousand times), 1 carryon (a 40L pack with essentials) and boots on a Euro carrier.